Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prepulsid

Default Prepulsid

I've just been to the vet with Mr Henry Higgins who has an impacted gut. I was given the very last of the Prepulsid they have. As you all know it is no longer available.
    Just wondered if anyone has heard of any alternative to it or if there are any herbal or homeopathic remedies that can act as a gut stimulator. It is realy worrying that we no longer have this, especialy as Stasis is something that vets are seeing so often. I know that there is Metacopramide, but that is only injectable and my vet says it is not as effective as Prepulsid.
    Anyway I told my vet I would ask the 'experts' on the Forum if anyone knew anything new.

Dylan's Friends Rabbit Sanctuary

i was advised to give pinapple juice when bern had problems following her spay op complications.

i used this to make her antibiotics taste better to and mixed it in with the recovery food too. the vet said pinapple is good for every animal's digestion. seemed to work!

Hi Dorothy, we use pineapple juice and the VETERINARY Liquid Paraffin that bunnies seem to tolerate the taste of and it does not cause the runs like a laxative proper, just keeps things moving and passes out naturally with the body
    We also use a gut stimulant tablet (a quarter of a tablet ) that Vets use in cattle, it is not licensed for use in rabbits like a lot of things, but really helps with gut statis short term. I have forgotten the name of the tablet , but can find it out for you.

When claude had a poorly tum he was given something called maxolon.

Binky free Bridge bunnies Claude,Alfie,Lilac And Miffy and Vinnie,Never forgotten xxx

I saw the new year in on RU x

Thanks, I've got the pineapple juice, it's realy good for helping to break down the impaction.
    Adele I would be realy interested in the name of the tablet for cattle you use.
    I forgot (middle aged mind is like a sieve) my vet said that you can still get prepulsid in tablet form. But you would need to give a bunny about 1/10th of it, which would be realy difficult to calculate as it would just be a crumb. Then you would have to administer it, probably on food or crushed in water and syringed in. Still that is worth considering.

I've heard of maxolon and metaclopromide being used I think
    Lynda

C.A.R.R.O.T. (Care And Rehoming Rabbits Of Tayside)
    www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Wise Old Thumper

Ive never had to give any of these medicines to rabbits. However i work with disabled children and some used to have prepulsid (cisapride). Those that did were changed onto a medication called Domperidone/motilium. Its supposed to a similar sort of thing,help to empty their stomachs. Ive no idea if this would have same effect on rabbits tho. Wonder if vets can get hold of an alternative drug like doctors can.
    Chris
    Chris
    Mum to 2 lionheads Dylan, Daisy and Oscar the cat!
    We will never forget you Simba, Nala and Fifi xxx

Banned

Lots of recommendations for pineapple here. Interesting....

Not one said whether it was fresh or canned?

Hi Bob, if you use pineapple it has to be fresh as there is an element in the fresh jiuce that is the important factor in helping to break down the impaction. Pineapple has been well documented to aid digestion. Will ask my vet what the component is, he did tell me but I've forgotten . My vet recomends buying a whole fresh pineapple , scooping out the flesh and putting it into a blender. The next best thing is to buy organic pure fresh pineapple juice with nothing added and nothing taken away. You can syringe feed up to 30mls a day at regular intervals. Your average canned or carton of juice no longer has the important componant and tends to have sugar or other additives.

I've just been back to the vet this morning. Eve has gone in to have her teeth done!! Anyway I asked him about Maxalon which some people use for gut problems and he said that that is Metacopramide in syrup form. So I was wrong to say that Metacopramide is only injectable. However he did say that Maxalon works more for foregut problems with stasis i.e. the stomach and not hindgut problems. Prepulsid worked on the hindgut i.e. the bowel. However that said Maxilon would be the best thing at the momment to replace Prepulsid with alongside pineapple juice. Hope that helps. Things like Liquid parafin can help to slide a blockage through but will not stimulate the bowel to push the blockage through. Prepulsid actualy stimulated the gut to cotract as it should and push the food through.

As you know, Dorothy, Harriet is on homeopathic medication which comes in the form of tablets which have to be crushed and diluted with water: so what I was thinking was if you were to crush a prepulsid tablet and dilute it with, say, 10 ml of water you could administer 1ml of the liquid to the bunny who would then have exactly the right dose! This is, to some extent, what I do with Harriet except that hers just keeps on being diluted but that is the nature of the administration of the homeopathic remedy.

Harriet , Charlie, Sebastian & Robbie at the Bridge but forever in my heart.