• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New partner advice

Jonny

Warren Scout
Hi,

Some adoption / bonding advice needed!

Having lost my lovely buck this morning, we would like to move quickly to get a new bond for his other half as they were very close. Our remaining doe is an older bun - around 7.

A family friend has offered us her little fella, who is less than a year old as she is no longer able to look after him.I'm not sure though whether he will be the right match as he is very small and she is fairly large (around 3kg) and also quite territorial. My only previous experience with bonding has not been terribly successful, so I'd worry that she might harm him. Second, he's an indoor bun but he would be living outdoors with Coco - but I've heard it's not a good idea to move an indoor bun outdoors in winter, especially since he's so young.

Our other option would be for us to bond Coco with another bonded pair - we have had trios before and have the space to accommodate three buns so I feel that's the right thing to do since I'd be giving a home to two buns in need rather than one. A rescue not far from us has two bonded pairs and has offered to help with the bonding.

All advice much appreciated!

hi Jonny, so sorry to hear about your loss :(

I agree with your thinking- as much as I'd like the young boy bun to move from an unwanted home to live with you I think it would be unwise to move any bunny (young, old, somewhere between) outside in November as he won't have grown an outdoor coat. Option 2 sounds good - plus trios are awesome & the rescue will help with bonding. It sounds ideal. I hope it goes well

Hi,

Some adoption / bonding advice needed!

Having lost my lovely buck this morning, we would like to move quickly to get a new bond for his other half as they were very close. Our remaining doe is an older bun - around 7.

A family friend has offered us her little fella, who is less than a year old as she is no longer able to look after him.I'm not sure though whether he will be the right match as he is very small and she is fairly large (around 3kg) and also quite territorial. My only previous experience with bonding has not been terribly successful, so I'd worry that she might harm him. Second, he's an indoor bun but he would be living outdoors with Coco - but I've heard it's not a good idea to move an indoor bun outdoors in winter, especially since he's so young.

Our other option would be for us to bond Coco with another bonded pair - we have had trios before and have the space to accommodate three buns so I feel that's the right thing to do since I'd be giving a home to two buns in need rather than one. A rescue not far from us has two bonded pairs and has offered to help with the bonding.

All advice much appreciated!

Hi Jonny

I was sorry to read about lovely Max. I have a fondness not only for REWs but also for the name Max :love:

Regards your bonding scenario .. Has the little boy been neutered? If not, I would hesitate to bond him right now, and also there is the problem of indoor/outdoor at this time of year.

Regarding trios .. My preference (if I was bonding) would be to have three rabbits that were previously unknown to one another, as that way it's much more of a level playing field. I bonded a trio earlier this year in that way and it worked like a dream. However, if the Rescue are offering help bonding, then I should take them up on it, so long as they are fairly confident that it won't break up their already bonded pair/s

Thanks everyone. I have been in touch with Jill from Honeybunnies rescue in Leicester, so hopefully we will take Coco down soon to see if we can match her up. A couple of single boys might be best.

Thanks everyone. I have been in touch with Jill from Honeybunnies rescue in Leicester, so hopefully we will take Coco down soon to see if we can match her up. A couple of single boys might be best.

That is exactly my thinking :)

Back