• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging Back Until Red Raw

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I have been trying to bond to neutered males. Leo is approx. 6 years old and was neutered at a very early age. He recently lost his long term girlfriend. Bertie is possibly about 2 years old and was neutered about 9 weeks ago, he has never has a rabbit friend as far as we are aware.

They were getting along OK with some mounting by Bertie and Leo was very submissive. After a couple of hours Bertie started to dig at Leos back. He has done it so hard he has made bald patches that are very sore. We have separated them and would like some advice.

I have never had this problem before and am worried for Leo.

Is it a good idea to try bonding them again and hope Bertie calms down the behaviour or is it likely Bertie will continue?

Thank you in advance

I would definitely keep them separated at least until Leo's back is better. You should take him to the Vets as he might need some antibiotic cream. Please don't use anything for humans. I would think Bertie will make Leo's life a misery as boys are better off bonded with girls.

Thank you for your response. I have put some isaderm on the area. Leo is already on metacam for urinary issues.

Unfortunately I have 12 rabbits and 9 are males, so I don't have any females I could bond with them. We already have 2 trios (both 2 boys and a girl) and a pair of boys so was hoping it would work.

Back