• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've a rabbit that turns 12 weeks old tomorrow

Hello there and welcome to the Forum. Before answering your question could you please explain why you think your bunny should be fed Porridge?

Hello there and welcome to the Forum. Before answering your question could you please explain why you think your bunny should be fed Porridge?
Because porridge makes a nice treat for rabbits as long as it isn't fed too much, It can also be used to feed sick rabbits.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Yes, if a rabbit is very underweight it can be fed Porridge but normal healthy rabbits don't need it. There are many other treats you can give your bunny which won't tend to put weight on. Usually you have to watch a rabbit's weight as they can become obese which in turn leads to many health problems. Treats you can give are Readigrass which they love, little pieces of Spring Greens, many herbs, dandelions, tiny pieces of carrot, but most of all they need hay. This keeps their teeth in good order as they are growing all the time and it is also good for their digestion. Breeders sometimes feed Porridge but a normal pet rabbit should not need it. Hope this has been of help to you.

Yes, if a rabbit is very underweight it can be fed Porridge but normal healthy rabbits don't need it. There are many other treats you can give your bunny which won't tend to put weight on. Usually you have to watch a rabbit's weight as they can become obese which in turn leads to many health problems. Treats you can give are Readigrass which they love, little pieces of Spring Greens, many herbs, dandelions, tiny pieces of carrot, but most of all they need hay. This keeps their teeth in good order as they are growing all the time and it is also good for their digestion. Breeders sometimes feed Porridge but a normal pet rabbit should not need it. Hope this has been of help to you.
Thank you. Rabbits have to be 3 months old before they can have fruit or veg, I have started limiting the amount of pellets she is being fed and when she turns 3 months old tomorrow, I will be starting to slowly introduce her to fruit and veg,

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

You don't normally start reducing the amount of pellets at 3 months of age. Rabbits don't stop growing until they are around a year old but I would start reducing pellets at around 5 months. What you don't want is a hungry baby rabbit who becomes food anxious.

Back