• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits not liking being brushed

Hi,

My 2 9 week old Lionheads hate to be brushed. I have tried to do it every other day since we got them, but as soon as I try to pick them up to brush them they get annoyed and kick out. I have tried doing it with them down of the floor next to be but they try to run away. The one time I have managed to do it I had brought them inside and sat them on my lap, while they watched tv, but then I read that you shouldn’t keep moving them from outside to inside in the winter, as it’s not good for them.

Any advice. Thanks.

Hi,

My 2 9 week old Lionheads hate to be brushed. I have tried to do it every other day since we got them, but as soon as I try to pick them up to brush them they get annoyed and kick out. I have tried doing it with them down of the floor next to be but they try to run away. The one time I have managed to do it I had brought them inside and sat them on my lap, while they watched tv, but then I read that you shouldn’t keep moving them from outside to inside in the winter, as it’s not good for them.

Any advice. Thanks.

Can you turn the Central Heating off in the house for a bit prior to bringing them in and whilst they are in to be groomed ?

Do you have a shed or some other outbuilding where you could take them to groom them ?

I have had similar rabbits and would say not to worry too much. Hopefully this coat will develop into an easier coat which shouldn't need much grooming at all. Rabbits like to groom themselves. Also, when you have had them longer, they may allow you to groom them more often. When rabbits are moulting it is a good idea, instead of brushing the fur out, to dampen your hands and run them over the rabbit's fur.

Thanks, as the heating is not on at home during the day as I’m the only one here (and I just put on an extra jumper, lol) I decided to bro g them inside to groom. It was so easy I just took them out of their carrier one at a time and the just sat on a cushion on my lap while I brushed them and even let me check their bottoms. X

Thanks, as the heating is not on at home during the day as I’m the only one here (and I just put on an extra jumper, lol) I decided to bro g them inside to groom. It was so easy I just took them out of their carrier one at a time and the just sat on a cushion on my lap while I brushed them and even let me check their bottoms. X

I'd continue to do that then, it sounds to be working well and the temperature change wont be that significant if there is no heating on.

I have had similar rabbits and would say not to worry too much. Hopefully this coat will develop into an easier coat which shouldn't need much grooming at all. Rabbits like to groom themselves. Also, when you have had them longer, they may allow you to groom them more often. When rabbits are moulting it is a good idea, instead of brushing the fur out, to dampen your hands and run them over the rabbit's fur.

Tonibun has given good advice :D

Also, I wouldn't worry about the temperature change at all for the small length of time they would be indoors for their grooming time :)

Back