• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside run suggestions

Graciee

Staff member
Hi just looking for suggestions or advice really, my new house has been completely gutted so staying with my parents whilst I do the place up, which includes the garden.

I was hoping to get a run built to put their hutch in the back like the picture below (saw it on the companies pinterest) but was wondering what sort of floor to have in the pen.

I was thinking of getting it built soon so need to sort the section of garden out because there's currently a load of broken stuff and a falling down shed in the way, so depending on floor type will be a bit of work envolved before I could get the flooring type down and level etc.

Would grass be too muddy? Die? Be dug at? Then would I need to put mesh underneath the new turf? Would it rot the wood of the frame?

Is concrete a better idea for keeping clean etc? Would this be okay on rex bunny feet? Just wondered if anyone has pros or cons for either type of floor or any other suggestions :)

They have a large hutch but I was going to take one downstairs door completely off or pin it back so they still have their dark enclosed upstairs and part of the downstairs but have 24/7 access to the run also. Plus if I went for concrete they could still have some grass either on the lawn outside (plan on making the garden completely secure) or I could grow some in a tray and put it in the pen.

Any suggestions/opinions welcome, as I'm not sure what's the best idea haha :) x
8d259bc67239996dc123a095b622ff3a.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I know a lot of people use the playground mats. You just dig down slightly so the mats sit level with the ground. Fill in with dirt and sprinkle grass seed. This prevents it getting really muddy in winter and should be good for rex feet. Should also be good for predator proofing as it's really strong stuff.

hope I make sense in what I'm talking about

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I know a lot of people use the playground mats. You just dig down slightly so the mats sit level with the ground. Fill in with dirt and sprinkle grass seed. This prevents it getting really muddy in winter and should be good for rex feet. Should also be good for predator proofing as it's really strong stuff.

hope I make sense in what I'm talking about

What kind of playground mats do you mean DP? They sound good :thumb: I’ve not seen any other than the foam or hard rubber ones, which a predator/rats/rabbits would be able to dig through and push up.

I would say concrete/slabs would be most secure, with something on top. Or high gauge weld-mesh under turf or mats.

Back in the day we had outdoor rabbits we converted a large vegetable patch into an aviary run. It had a foot of hardcore topped with a thick layer of soil, with sleepers around the base. I thought it would be secure and as it was 17x10ft it was too expensive to slab so I put playbark on top. The rabbits dug out :shock: so I had to weldmesh over the soil :lol:

What kind of playground mats do you mean DP? They sound good :thumb: I’ve not seen any other than the foam or hard rubber ones, which a predator/rats/rabbits would be able to dig through and push up.

I would say concrete/slabs would be most secure, with something on top. Or high gauge weld-mesh under turf or mats.

Back in the day we had outdoor rabbits we converted a large vegetable patch into an aviary run. It had a foot of hardcore topped with a thick layer of soil, with sleepers around the base. I thought it would be secure and as it was 17x10ft it was too expensive to slab so I put playbark on top. The rabbits dug out :shock: so I had to weldmesh over the soil [emoji38]
At vets ATM... it's this kinda stuff but there is a much more solid one.

http://www.matsgrids.co.uk/grass-pr...Tldvhejgv60XOf59sA5jSYja2DOXroVUaAld5EALw_wcB

At vets ATM... it's this kinda stuff but there is a much more solid one.

http://www.matsgrids.co.uk/grass-pr...Tldvhejgv60XOf59sA5jSYja2DOXroVUaAld5EALw_wcB

I would be concerned rats or predators would chew that, and my previous rabbits too! Unless it has a metal core? A rat has chewed through the wooden floor of my shed and chewed the edge of the rubber conveyer belt matting flooring that is 1cm thick and reinforced with fibres. I would be worried a fox or dog would be able to dig under that and lift it.

Although I'm paranoid, and that's why I won't have outside rabbits again :lol:

I would be concerned rats or predators would chew that, and my previous rabbits too! Unless it has a metal core? A rat has chewed through the wooden floor of my shed and chewed the edge of the rubber conveyer belt matting flooring that is 1cm thick and reinforced with fibres. I would be worried a fox or dog would be able to dig under that and lift it.

Although I'm paranoid, and that's why I won't have outside rabbits again [emoji38]
Yes. The one I mean has a metal core inlay. I think there is also one that has a solid metal bottom.

Rats can chew through metal & concrete though. (Sorry - worth mentioning).

Hi, Ive got a Boyles large run attached to the shed and Ive put concrete slabs down. My rabbits dig out WHENEVER I put them on grass, the pair work together and have got out several times. I wouldn't trust anything other than slabs. For the trio, they also have a portion of the run with a runaround tunnel to another run which I put on brick paving. There are 2 rexes and their feet have always been fine. Mine eat the grass so quickly when they are on it, it would turn into a mud flat very quickly!

Thanks for all the replies, I was concerned about the mud flat situation happening haha maybe I'll just put slabs down and have some grass growing in there for them :)

Hi, Ive got a Boyles large run attached to the shed and Ive put concrete slabs down. My rabbits dig out WHENEVER I put them on grass, the pair work together and have got out several times. I wouldn't trust anything other than slabs. For the trio, they also have a portion of the run with a runaround tunnel to another run which I put on brick paving. There are 2 rexes and their feet have always been fine. Mine eat the grass so quickly when they are on it, it would turn into a mud flat very quickly!
What was your experience with Boyles? And has it lasted okay? :)

Ive only had the Boyles run for a few months. It seems fine, really solid but the rain is coming off the shed roof, down the Boyles roof and running back onto the slabs, rotting the bottom. Ive just been to screw fix to buy a section of guttering which I'm going to fix on to take the majority of rain to the back. Boyles did say to redo the weather proofing every year so ill let you know how it lasts over the winter.
It's a fab set up, but did take a while to do so order well in advance of need! Worth the wait though.

Back