• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny having trouble cleaning herself

sophietheveggie

Young Bun
Hi, my bun has an injured leg and is having trouble cleaning herself, is there a way i can clean her especially around her butt area? I know you are not supposed to bath them or get them wet so im a littlr worried and not sure what to do

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi, my bun has an injured leg and is having trouble cleaning herself, is there a way i can clean her especially around her butt area? I know you are not supposed to bath them or get them wet so im a littlr worried and not sure what to do

It can sometimes be essential to give a Rabbit a 'bum bath' as if they are severely soiled it may be the only way to clean them up. Dried soiling can be gently clipped off first, thus leaving less soiled/stained fur to get wet.

As your Rabbit is already injured I am reluctant to advise you to do this yourself, I dont know the severity of your Rabbit's injury. It may be necessary for you to seek more Veterinary assistance to do the initial clean up. If your Rabbit struggles then she may aggravate her injuries. If the soiling is really bad and there is any sore skin too then she may need sedating to be cleaned up and the Vet can also clip off alot of fur from Bunny's bum/belly. This can make keeping on top of cleaning her up every day a little easier.

Hi Sophie :)

Sorry I didn't see your post yesterday evening.

So long as it won't make the injury any worse, you can bathe but I would do this in a washing up bowl with just a half inch of water (warm). I never use any soap or shampoo. Swishing gently around underneath whilst supporting with the other hand. You have to dry thoroughly as I'm sure you know that rabbit fur soaks up water like a sponge!

If you can clip the fur short before you bathe, it will assist in the drying ... I use a hair dryer on a low setting :)

Back