• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this blood? :(

Graciee

Staff member
Carefresh in his litter tray was like orange/red - but his bum looked fine.. He's just been out on the grass (hence wet feet) but picked him up to check and saw this. I can get him to the vet tomorrow morning - but is this blood? Should I panic and take him to out of hours? Haha (they aren't rabbit savvy tho) any suggestions would be great :)

Oh also he's eating just fine, he hasn't drank a lot last few days (but has had grass and wet veggies I know these contain lots of water so wasn't super concerned)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
b8ef54b3fc5825b6f2c263a2c67f2b54.jpg

Carefresh in his litter tray was like orange/red - but his bum looked fine.. He's just been out on the grass (hence wet feet) but picked him up to check and saw this. I can get him to the vet tomorrow morning - but is this blood? Should I panic and take him to out of hours? Haha (they aren't rabbit savvy tho) any suggestions would be great :)

Oh also he's eating just fine, he hasn't drank a lot last few days (but has had grass and wet veggies I know these contain lots of water so wasn't super concerned)

Cant see any signs of blood. His scent glands may be a bit full, making the skin near them look darker than normal x

Hi Gracie

I doubt it's blood - rabbit's pee can be all sorts of colours, as you probably know.

I would keep an eye and see what goes into the litter tray in the next couple of hours x

Thanks both of you :)

It's only been in the last day the carefresh which is white has changed colour to the orange/red colour I know it can be veggies that cause the colour change etc. Maybe that's just pee on him then? xx

Hi Gracie

I doubt it's blood - rabbit's pee can be all sorts of colours, as you probably know.

I would keep an eye and see what goes into the litter tray in the next couple of hours x

I agree completely with MM.Red pee is 99.9% caused by plant pigments. If you're still worried, get a syringe & get some of the pee for the vet. Easy to test with dip stix. ;) but his anus looks a bit sore. Has he any mushy poohs?

It's only been in the last day the carefresh which is white has changed colour to the orange/red colour I know it can be veggies that cause the colour change etc. Maybe that's just pee on him then? xx

Yes, very likely staining from plant pigments in his wee. If he found any dandelion leaves whilst out grazing then that could be the cause of very dark orange/red wee

http://www.greendale.co.uk/rabbit_urinalysis.html

Yes the thing with dandelions though is that he's not been out for a couple of days and it started yesterday which is why I was a bit concerned but I hadn't seen it on him until today. He's had kale, spinach, broccoli, rocket, cabbage lettuce and some herbs in last few days.

No soft poos, took him to the vets Wednesday and mentioned about his bum looking how it does in the picture (except the red liquid wasn't there) and vet said it was completely fine (reason I mentioned it is my two girls bums look emaculat but he seems to also have small bits of poo in the fur (he never had this before being neutered)

Yes it could well be pee on him :)

If it continues, or you're still worried, Thumps idea of taking a syringe of the pee to the vet for a quick dipstick test is what I would do next :thumb:

Back