• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

first meet!

Ross

Warren Scout
hi guys

I put Declan and Marnie in the pen together for the first time without a gate between them,
and all Declan could do was hump Marnies head.... (he was only done just under 2 weeks ago, but she was done months ago)
is this normal? lol

usually when the gates between them the try to play, some times sleep next to each other, or just carry on as normal but not minding the other one is there..

hi guys

I put Declan and Marnie in the pen together for the first time without a gate between them,
and all Declan could do was hump Marnies head.... (he was only done just under 2 weeks ago, but she was done months ago)
is this normal? lol

usually when the gates between them the try to play, some times sleep next to each other, or just carry on as normal but not minding the other one is there..

Yep, this is normal as his hormones will not have changed enough following his op. If I were you I would separate them and wait at least six weeks after his neuter. If you don't then it's possible that Marnie will get fed up with the humping and might become aggresive.

Being patient at this stage is likely to result in a more successful outcome.

ah okay thank you! :), I was hopeing as she was done it would be okay to start the process! :(
still only 4 more weeks :)

will his desire to hump go away then? I was under the thought process that he would just be firing blanks,

ah okay thank you! :), I was hopeing as she was done it would be okay to start the process! :(

will his desire to hump go away then? I was under the thought process that he would just be firing blanks,

His desire to hump should lessen as time goes on, but it sometimes re-appears temporarily in Spring for example. The fact that he is "firing blanks" will not lessen the irritation for Marnie :)

Male hormones can take as long as 12 weeks to subside, but even then the desire to hump often never goes away :)

Having done hundreds of pairings, all successful, I would never bond a male rabbit within one month of being castrated. Preferably at least six weeks :)

Omi's given you great advice ! In a few more weeks whilst Declan may still be a bit 'humpy' when he first meets Marnie again the behaviour wont be so hormone driven. Humping can also be a way of establishing dominance and once the hierarchy in the relationship is sorted out the humping (from either Rabbit as Does will 'dominance hump' too) things will hopefully settle down :D

ah okay! thank you so much guys!

just want them to be friends now haha! I'm so impatient but ill defo wait will its been 6 weeks :D

Back