• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit proofing Christmas!

BeccaT

Young Bun
I have house rabbits & in a couple of weeks want to put up my Christmas tree (artificial). I have always had my tree in the lounge as I love sitting with the lights on in the evening & there isn't really a suitable space in the kitchen. My rabbits have free run of the lounge, so I am wondering if anyone has ideas/suggestions as to how to 'rabbit proof' the tree? This is my first Christmas since we have had the boys so want it to work for everyone (them & us).
I was thinking a puppy pen round the tree? How tall would it need to be? I'm sure I was told they won't jump where they can't see clear landing space but don't want them to get themselves stuck inside the pen with the tree!
What do others with house rabbits do at Christmas?? 🎄 Thank you x

Our two are free range and we just litrally put our tree up as normal, it sits on the floor and in a corner but use battery powered lights which are no where near the floor. They will occasionally go and hide under it, and touch the baubles with their nose but otherwise leave it alone! :love:

Secretly I think they love it when the lights are on in the evening, as Bailey will go and lie in front of it just looking at it! Haha! :)

I know all bunnies are different and everyone does different things, so I'm sure you'll have some great ideas on here xxx

I was worried theyd try to chew tree & decorations! Didn't think about fact my lights are mains powered!

We use a real tree as ours do eat them. We don't have presents under the tree and don't hang decoration from lower level branches.

In the picture you can kinda see a puppy panel over the plug socket so they can't get to the lights wire.
44d1198c945b812ae8e4ac889cc9ec94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I used a puppy pen last year, they moved the pen around rather than jump over it lol so they sometimes managed to get a nibble when they pushed the pen into the tree. This year I’m moving my tree to a different position where I will be able to block it with their heavy duty pen when they are free roaming (they only get out when they can be supervised).

Thank you all for your help. I have ordered a puppy pen. My two don't seem bothered about moving their existing puppy pen which I use at night so hopefully will leave this one too!

Back