• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can't walk and not eating

sophietheveggie

Young Bun
Hi, my reabbit got injured a few months ago by a dog. The dog got into where she was staying at the time in a shed and jumped on her and at that point she stopped eating and seemed to be limping slightly. I took her to the vet then and she said nothing seemed to be wrong with her leg but put her on medication to get her eating again.

Since then she has been eating alot and has put on some weight but has still had a limp. I decided to wait for a while to see if it got better as i can't afford to take her to the vet.

Today when i let her out of her hutch in the morning she could barely walk. She was eating ok in the morning but has now stopped and is sitting hunched and cant even walk to get to the litter tray and is sitting in her own pee.

I dont know what to do. I have literally £2 to my name. I called an emergency vet service and they said i can pay later for the check up but any treatment i would have to pay up front.

I have some left over emiprid and recovery food so i could give that to her? Or should i take her for the check up even though it might stress her out and i wont be able to lay for treatment?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hello, I'm sorry your rabbit is unwell. She really needs to be seen by a vet tonight and as soon as possible. I would be concerned about her leg as rabbits hide pain well so would like some investigation done as to why she has still been limping even though the vet said the leg looked ok.

As for not eating she will need gut stimulant and pain killer, and possibly fluids. I would get these fresh from the vets and a check up but if you can't until tomorrow am then gently belly messages, some emeprid and encourage exercise may help her. Also syringe food and water if she's not drinking herself and keep an eye on output for poo too.

Best of luck for her and you x

I’m sorry your rabbit is poorly. Not eating is a medical emergency in rabbits, can you get help from the RSPCA or pdsa for treatment? She really needs treatment ASAP.

Sending lots of vibes for her

Hi, my reabbit got injured a few months ago by a dog. The dog got into where she was staying at the time in a shed and jumped on her and at that point she stopped eating and seemed to be limping slightly. I took her to the vet then and she said nothing seemed to be wrong with her leg but put her on medication to get her eating again.

Since then she has been eating alot and has put on some weight but has still had a limp. I decided to wait for a while to see if it got better as i can't afford to take her to the vet.

Today when i let her out of her hutch in the morning she could barely walk. She was eating ok in the morning but has now stopped and is sitting hunched and cant even walk to get to the litter tray and is sitting in her own pee.

I dont know what to do. I have literally £2 to my name. I called an emergency vet service and they said i can pay later for the check up but any treatment i would have to pay up front.

I have some left over emiprid and recovery food so i could give that to her? Or should i take her for the check up even though it might stress her out and i wont be able to lay for treatment?

Is there anyone who could lend you some money to pay for Vet treatment ? If not and you are not eligible for any charitable help from the PDSA/Blue Cross

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/eligibility

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/veterinary

then you need to call the RSPCA to seek advice from them. They too may offer to help obtain some Emergency treatment for your Rabbit without you having to sign the Rabbit over to them.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/c...7&utm_medium=Redirect&utm_campaign=AdvicePets

RSPCA National Phone Number- 0300 1234 999

It really is essential that you seek treatment for your Rabbit somehow, so please do consider the above options carefully. I do hope that your Rabbit can recover as I am sure you are very upset about the situation. Best wishes and good luck x

Hi, i managed to borrow somw money for a taxi to an emergency vets and they let me pay later.

They gave her pain killers and a stimulant to help her gut start back up.

Im givjng her recovery food every two hours but she just won't eat it. Im managing to give her a little each time (ive done it twice now) but she'll eat a little then just stop and will keep it in her mouth without swallowing, she feels pretty bloated and hasn't pooped or peed since getting back 3 hours ago.

Im not sure what else to do exept keep her warm and comfy she has at least eaten a little recovery food but not much

Hello, I'm sorry your rabbit is unwell. She really needs to be seen by a vet tonight and as soon as possible. I would be concerned about her leg as rabbits hide pain well so would like some investigation done as to why she has still been limping even though the vet said the leg looked ok.

As for not eating she will need gut stimulant and pain killer, and possibly fluids. I would get these fresh from the vets and a check up but if you can't until tomorrow am then gently belly messages, some emeprid and encourage exercise may help her. Also syringe food and water if she's not drinking herself and keep an eye on output for poo too.

Best of luck for her and you x
Hi, i managed to borrow somw money for a taxi to an emergency vets and they let me pay later.

Im givjng her recovery food every two hours but she just won't eat it. Im managing to give her a little each time (ive done it twice now) but she'll eat a little then just stop and will keep it in her mouth without swallowing, she feels pretty bloated and hasn't pooped or peed since getting back 3 hours ago.

Im not sure what else to do exept keep her warm and comfy she has at least eaten a little recovery food but not much

Is there anyone who could lend you some money to pay for Vet treatment ? If not and you are not eligible for any charitable help from the PDSA/Blue Cross

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/eligibility

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/veterinary

then you need to call the RSPCA to seek advice from them. They too may offer to help obtain some Emergency treatment for your Rabbit without you having to sign the Rabbit over to them.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/c...7&utm_medium=Redirect&utm_campaign=AdvicePets

RSPCA National Phone Number- 0300 1234 999

It really is essential that you seek treatment for your Rabbit somehow, so please do consider the above options carefully. I do hope that your Rabbit can recover as I am sure you are very upset about the situation. Best wishes and good luck x

Hi,
I'm really sorry to hear about your rabbit. Having been in the exact same financial position as you I can really sympathise.
I'm so glad you managed to get her to a vet. Though the fact that she feels bloated is very worrying. Is her abdomen hard or doughy? Did she feel that way when she was at the vet or has this happened since? Are they sure she doesn't have a blockage?
If it's a new development I would phone the emergency vet back as quickly as possible. If she's got bloat she is in a very serious situation. If she has an actual blockage feeding her is adding to it and my understanding is (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that if that is the case then feeding will do more harm than good as you're adding more when she's already blocked.
I really think you need to phone the vet back if this is something new that's happened since you got home.
Did they do a glucose test? What about her leg, did they look at that?

The resources Jane mentioned are very good ideas and they just might be able to help you financially. The RSPCA gave me some money towards Snowflake's treatment when she had stasis and I had literally nothing left. Without them she wouldn't be here.

I really do feel for you, I know the position you're in all too well and I know how difficult it must be.
I hope your little one pulls through. The medication sometimes takes a while to work but if there is something new I would phone the vet back and check it with them.
Thinking of you both

I think her abdomen feels doughy but im not sure. She felt a litte bloated when we took her. They didn't say anything about a blockage. I called back and they said it could be serious but the fact that her stomach is making noises is a good thing.

They took a look at her leg and said that they couldnt see anything wrong with it and although it could have fractured and healed at some point she couldn't feel anything to indicate this

Hi,
I'm really sorry to hear about your rabbit. Having been in the exact same financial position as you I can really sympathise.
I'm so glad you managed to get her to a vet. Though the fact that she feels bloated is very worrying. Is her abdomen hard or doughy? Did she feel that way when she was at the vet or has this happened since? Are they sure she doesn't have a blockage?
If it's a new development I would phone the emergency vet back as quickly as possible. If she's got bloat she is in a very serious situation. If she has an actual blockage feeding her is adding to it and my understanding is (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that if that is the case then feeding will do more harm than good as you're adding more when she's already blocked.
I really think you need to phone the vet back if this is something new that's happened since you got home.

The resources Jane mentioned are very good ideas and they just might be able to help you financially. The RSPCA gave me some money towards Snowflake's treatment when she had stasis and I had literally nothing left. Without them she wouldn't be here.

I really do feel for you, I know the position you're in all too well and I know how difficult it must be.
I hope your little one pulls through. The medication sometimes takes a while to work but if there is something new I would phone the vet back and check it with them.
Thinking of you both
Also i dont think they did a glucose test although they did take her into a room to look at her first of all so i didnt see everything

Hi,

Thinking of you both
Quick update she has done two small soft poos and also peed after massaging her tummy she still doesn't look great but her stomach is making noises and i am keeping her warm

Quick update she has done two small soft poos and also peed after massaging her tummy she still doesn't look great but her stomach is making noises and i am keeping her warm

I hope this means there will be good progress for her x

Yes I was wondering just now, when I answered your post on your other thread Sophie :wave:
She is eating again, not as much as she usually does but still eating. We took her to the emergency vet and they checked her leg over and couldn't feel anything wrong with it, this is the third time a vet has said there is nothing wrong with her leg. She said it could have fractured at some point and healed wrong but she cant feel that it has. The vet did say there seems to be something chronically wrong with her and that she needs extensive testing and xrays and stuff.

She is still limping though and having much more trouble walking than she did before. I am at a loss at what to do. I don't know how im going to pay back the emergency vet bill let alone take her for more tests. Im also worried she wont make it through the xray as they said they have to sedate her to do it and she's so skinny. She had trouble dealing with the anaesthetic after she was neutered and went into stasis then and she was healthy at that point.

She is so determined though and is still running to me in the morning and isn't sitting hunched anymore.

I have contacted a charity near me that may be able to help me and they said they will get back to me but i dont know what will come of it as i am not on benefits.

I feel like my only option is to give her up and try to find someone who will be able to look after her and give her everything she needs as and when she needs it. I love her so much and it breaks my heart that i can't give her the care she needs. I'd need to find someone that would take her sister too as they have never been apart. I don't know what else to do.

She is eating again, not as much as she usually does but still eating. We took her to the emergency vet and they checked her leg over and couldn't feel anything wrong with it, this is the third time a vet has said there is nothing wrong with her leg. She said it could have fractured at some point and healed wrong but she cant feel that it has. The vet did say there seems to be something chronically wrong with her and that she needs extensive testing and xrays and stuff.

She is still limping though and having much more trouble walking than she did before. I am at a loss at what to do. I don't know how im going to pay back the emergency vet bill let alone take her for more tests. Im also worried she wont make it through the xray as they said they have to sedate her to do it and she's so skinny. She had trouble dealing with the anaesthetic after she was neutered and went into stasis then and she was healthy at that point.

She is so determined though and is still running to me in the morning and isn't sitting hunched anymore.

I have contacted a charity near me that may be able to help me and they said they will get back to me but i dont know what will come of it as i am not on benefits.

I feel like my only option is to give her up and try to find someone who will be able to look after her and give her everything she needs as and when she needs it. I love her so much and it breaks my heart that i can't give her the care she needs. I'd need to find someone that would take her sister too as they have never been apart. I don't know what else to do.

Hopefully the Charity will get back to you soon. What about trying to do some Fund Raising yourself eg Doing a Car Boot Sale, selling stuff on Ebay, a Go-Fund-Me page ??

Hi Sophie

I am sorry to hear this - it puts you in a very difficult position :(

I have advocated for people before where they were not on benefits, and charities will step in on certain occasions, so I really hope they will be able to help you. You are doing all you can.

Let me know what the charity says when they come back to you, and take it from there. The bigger picture of possibilities is quite scary, so best to take one step at a time.

Thanks so much for updating, I was thinking about you x

Hi Sophie

I am sorry to hear this - it puts you in a very difficult position :(

I have advocated for people before where they were not on benefits, and charities will step in on certain occasions, so I really hope they will be able to help you. You are doing all you can.

Let me know what the charity says when they come back to you, and take it from there. The bigger picture of possibilities is quite scary, so best to take one step at a time.

Thanks so much for updating, I was thinking about you x

Thanks, it is nice to have the support from everyone on here :) i will let you know what the charity says

Back