• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something's wrong with Jazz - U/D: Improving :D

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
I'd had a bad night last night so slept for a couple of hours this afternoon. I got up again about 6-ish and found Jazz acting weirdly and refusing food. It's hard to describe - she was sort of turning around and backing up into a corner or wall and a couple of times she sort of collapsed (not sure if collapse is really the right term but I can't think what else to say - she sort of stretched out and lay on her abdomen but it didn't look voluntary)
Obviously we got her straight up the vet, who were so good to see her as they were closing 10 minutes after I phoned and ended up leaving a good half an hour late as a result.
My main worry is EC as it seems similar to what Maple did the day before we lost her, albeit not quite as bad. It somehow doesn't quite look like stasis but I don't know.
My vet's treating it as possible stasis at the moment and has given her an injection of a painkiller (Buprecare) and given me Emeprid, Ranitidine and Fibreplex to give her at home. She's put her on a high dose.
Since coming home she's continued to refuse food. I even tried her with peach and banana (peach being her absolute favourite) and she wouldn't even sniff them. She was ice cold so I've done her a snugglesafe and put a fan heater on in the room (we have no heating..). On the plus side she's just pased about 18 very normal looking droppings so that is at least some good news.

I asked for the notes as I may have to take her up Vets Now if she gets any worse and last time they couldn't treat Cody as they didn't know what my vet had given him already. Reading them it says 'weak peristaltic movements on auscultation', which I don't remember her saying at the time (though to be honest I was in a bit of a panic)

I'm very nervous of it being EC. My vet wants me to give her panacur when we're sure she's picked up from this.
I don't know what else it could be? Somehow it just doesn't seem like stasis.
Her abdomen isn't hard or doughy either. Really not sure what to think :?

The odd bit is last year almost to the day was when we lost Maple. She went down on the 18th and died in the early hours on the 19th. Two days before she got ill Cody had the same problem (minus hind limb paralysis) but thankfully pulled through.
It's so odd how the same sort of thing has happened, almost to the day :(

Last edited:
I'd had a bad night last night so slept for a couple of hours this afternoon. I got up again about 6-ish and found Jazz acting weirdly and refusing food. It's hard to describe - she was sort of turning around and backing up into a corner or wall and a couple of times she sort of collapsed (not sure if collapse is really the right term but I can't think what else to say - she sort of stretched out and lay on her abdomen but it didn't look voluntary)
Obviously we got her straight up the vet, who were so good to see her as they were closing 10 minutes after I phoned and ended up leaving a good half an hour late as a result.
My main worry is EC as it seems similar to what Maple did the day before we lost her, albeit not quite as bad. It somehow doesn't quite look like stasis but I don't know.
My vet's treating it as possible stasis at the moment and has given her an injection of a painkiller (Buprecare) and given me Emeprid, Ranitidine and Fibreplex to give her at home. She's put her on a high dose.
Since coming home she's continued to refuse food. I even tried her with peach and banana (peach being her absolute favourite) and she wouldn't even sniff them. She was ice cold so I've done her a snugglesafe and put a fan heater on in the room (we have no heating..). On the plus side she's just pased about 18 very normal looking droppings so that is at least some good news.

I asked for the notes as I may have to take her up Vets Now if she gets any worse and last time they couldn't treat Cody as they didn't know what my vet had given him already. Reading them it says 'weak peristaltic movements on auscultation', which I don't remember her saying at the time (though to be honest I was in a bit of a panic)

I'm very nervous of it being EC. My vet wants me to give her panacur when we're sure she's picked up from this.
I don't know what else it could be? Somehow it just doesn't seem like stasis.
Her abdomen isn't hard or doughy either. Really not sure what to think :?

The odd bit is last year almost to the day was when we lost Maple. She went down on the 18th and died in the early hours on the 19th. Two days before she got ill Cody had the same problem (minus hind limb paralysis) but thankfully pulled through.
It's so odd how the same sort of thing has happened, almost to the day :(

Try not to panic, you did absolutely the right thing to take her to the vet.

Try and make sure she eats a little, even if you syringe feed. The painkiller, Buprecare, can make some rabbits very sleepy, out of it, and cold. So perhaps that's why she's refusing food and may seem lethargic.

I'm glad she's passed some good poops. That's really good news :)

Sending vibes xx

I'm sorry to see your news about Jazz. You must be so worried. I would agree from what you have said, that it doesn't really sound like Stasis alone, but then Stasis is also very often just a symptom of a separate underlying issue.

Sending her lots of vibes and I hope that she improves soon. Also sending you lots of hugs. It looks like you're not going to get much sleep tonight either.

Thank you all. She's had 2ml of Fibreplex (minus the bits she spat out again..) but for the moment that's it. She's supposed to have another 2ml later tonight. I do have some critical care that I could give her by syringe if need be. The vet wants to see her back tomorrow morning, assuming we don't have to take her up Vets Now before then (and I forgot to book an appointment so going to have to phone in the morning). I won't be sleeping tonight, I'm staying up with her.
She on her own (unbonded) so she stays in my room with me for company so she's easy enough to monitor.

She does seem very sleepy and a bit 'unresponsive' in the sense that she's not really paying much attention to me. She's hardly moved since she's been back. I'm letting her rest and trying to keep her warm.

She has had stasis twice this year, once needing treatment in January (I think) and once she recovered on her own before the vet opened. Does make me wonder if something else could be going on but she seems otherwise happy and healthy.
While writing this actually she's suddenly looking a little more normal. She's been cleaning her face and has just gone over to her litter tray. She hasn't been acting strange/collapsing etc since she's been home.
Maybe it was just discomfort from gas or something? I don't know..
I suppose not much to do other than monitor her at the moment. Just so scared of it being EC I suppose. She was living with Maple initially (though they fell out and ultimately never rebonded) so if Maple had it I'm guessing it's likely she has it too. It was never confirmed with Maple but it seemed like EC and my vet agreed when I described it to her.

No real signs of improvement yet. She's been cleaing herself a bit which is good but other than that not much more. She's gone to and from her litter tray a few times but hasn't done anything in it. She hasn't wet at all yet nor has she drunk anything.
I gave her some fresh herbs a while ago but she didn't show any interest. She went over to them just now and sniffed them and kind of felt them with her lips but wouldn't actually eat them. Seems like she wants them but at the same time doesn't.
Got to have her meds again at 4am so more fibreplex then. I might carefully syringe her a little water along with it if she hasn't drunk by then as I'm worried she might dehydrate if it is stasis.
It just doesn't feel right for stasis somehow :?

Edit: Having now said that she's just wet in her tray. So at least that's something.

No real signs of improvement yet. She's been cleaing herself a bit which is good but other than that not much more. She's gone to and from her litter tray a few times but hasn't done anything in it. She hasn't wet at all yet nor has she drunk anything.
I gave her some fresh herbs a while ago but she didn't show any interest. She went over to them just now and sniffed them and kind of felt them with her lips but wouldn't actually eat them. Seems like she wants them but at the same time doesn't.
Got to have her meds again at 4am so more fibreplex then. I might carefully syringe her a little water along with it if she hasn't drunk by then as I'm worried she might dehydrate if it is stasis.

Edit: Having now said that she's just wet in her tray. So at least that's something.

Maybe it isn't. Perhaps it's cecal impaction?

http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/

If you end up taking Jazz back to the vet overnight, ask the vet to take her temperature, do a blood glucose test, and give sub-cut or preferably IV fluids. For IV she would have to stay at the vet. Sub-cutaneous and she can come home.

I hope you find a vet soon who can put their finger on what's going on with her.

Thinking of you xx

How is Jazz doing now ?

Sorry for the late reply, my computer's been giving me a lot of trouble.
She's eating! Not a lot but picking at bits. Went for the peach first :roll: Then had some fresh parsley and later some dried forage mix.
She's also had a little bit to drink. She's a long way from normal but pointing in the right direction at last. I was really starting to think she'd have to go up Vet Now as she's been looking so terrible. Siting in a corner, nose pointed at the ground and looking generally miserable. But she's just starting to pick up so all going well I'm hoping this is the right direction.
I'll still be taking her back up my normal vet when they open and I'm still staying up with her.
Still no more droppings passed that I can see (yes, I'm counting them :oops:) but maybe with time. She started to pick up a little over an hour after her second dose of emeprid and ranitidine (what didn't end up on my trousers).

She's eating! Not a lot but picking at bits. Went for the peach first :roll: Then had some fresh parsley and later some dried forage mix.
She's also had a little bit to drink. She's a long way from normal but pointing in the right direction at last. I was really starting to think she'd have to go up Vet Now as she's been looking so terrible. Siting in a corner, nose pointed at the ground and looking generally miserable. But she's just starting to pick up so all going well I'm hoping this is the right direction.
I'll still be taking her back up my normal vet when they open and I'm still staying up with her.
Still no more droppings passed that I can see (yes, I'm counting them :oops:) but maybe with time. She started to pick up a little over an hour after her second dose of emeprid and ranitidine (what didn't end up on my trousers).

Glad to hear she is a bit better now and hopefully with ongoing meds she will soon be back to normal X

Glad to hear she is a bit better now and hopefully with ongoing meds she will soon be back to normal X
Thank you Jane, I hope so too. She's continuing to pick on and off and has also been drinking again. Still nothing new passed but maybe in time.

I'll ask about the panacur when I see the vet later. I've been very on-off about it as a preventative. My vet says I should give it to them at least every six months, ideally every three. The RWAF doesn't recommend routine treatment with it as a preventative. I know many on here don't use it as a routine preventative either. When I started doing it routinely Snowflake went into severe stasis (where we almost lost her) and I'm sure it was as a result of the panacur. Then I've heard from other people about it's possible links to cancer (though this is, at the moment, unproven as far as I'm aware).
I really don't know what to do. I trust my vet, she's very knowledgable. But I'm not sure if it's the right thing or wrong thing to do routinely.
In Jazzie's case I will give it to her when my vet says it's okay to as I'm so worried about it being EC but I don't know what to do with the others :?

Sending lots more vibes for Jazz and I'm pleased to read that she's starting to improve a little. Sending more hugs for you. You must be shattered.

I'm used to it at this point :lol: When they're ill I don't sleep. It's kind of become normal :p
Still picking at food - including some hay now. Hoping this is the start of her recovering from... Whatever it is...
Will see what the vet thinks later.

I'm really glad to hear this! You have been been on my mind these past few hours :) xx

I'm used to it at this point :lol: When they're ill I don't sleep. It's kind of become normal :p
Still picking at food - including some hay now. Hoping this is the start of her recovering from... Whatever it is...
Will see what the vet thinks later.

I've just read your PM :D:D

Good luck this afternoon. I await further updates xx

Back home. Prior to the vet trip she'd picked up very well, eating (hay and dried forage) and pretty bright. Obviously at the vet she was very quiet... Until he wanted to check her teeth. Then quiet, timid, wide-eyed Jazzie became 'that thing is NOT going in my mouth' Jazzie. Long story short, no checking teeth :roll: She had them checked a few weeks back at her vaccination and they have always been good so I told him not to worry at the moment as I don't think there's anything wrong with them.
She cetainly had fight in her when she needed it :lol:
Obviously quiet at the moment but hoping she'll pick up again soon. She's on the motility meds and fibreplex for another three days, then assuming she's well I'll start panacur. I might give it an extra day or two - see how she goes.
Not much else to say at the moment but just thought I should post an update :)

Back home. Prior to the vet trip she'd picked up very well, eating (hay and dried forage) and pretty bright. Obviously at the vet she was very quiet... Until he wanted to check her teeth. Then quiet, timid, wide-eyed Jazzie became 'that thing is NOT going in my mouth' Jazzie. Long story short, no checking teeth :roll: She had them checked a few weeks back at her vaccination and they have always been good so I told him not to worry at the moment as I don't think there's anything wrong with them.
She cetainly had fight in her when she needed it :lol:
Obviously quiet at the moment but hoping she'll pick up again soon. She's on the motility meds and fibreplex for another three days, then assuming she's well I'll start panacur. I might give it an extra day or two - see how she goes.
Not much else to say at the moment but just thought I should post an update :)

Cant say I'd be too impressed with having a scope shoved in my mouth ! I hope that Jazz continues to improve, the fact that she can still be feisty must be a good sign x

:lol: It's funny because she's quiet, timid and can often be found hiding in a corner at the slightest scary thing. But wow has she got spirit when she wants it :lol:
There was no way that otoscope was going in her mouth. None.
Eating lots of hay at the moment and definitely looking better :D She's grunting/honking away happily to herself so I know she's happy :love:

On an unrelated note I just made myself a coffee and I've just looked down to see that there's fibreplex in it :shock:

:lol: It's funny because she's quiet, timid and can often be found hiding in a corner at the slightest scary thing. But wow has she got spirit when she wants it :lol:
There was no way that otoscope was going in her mouth. None.
Eating lots of hay at the moment and definitely looking better :D She's grunting/honking away happily to herself so I know she's happy :love:

On an unrelated note I just made myself a coffee and I've just looked down to see that there's fibreplex in it
:shock:

Bleugh !!

Well I guess it might keep you 'regular'................... :?

Back