• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building trust

So, I adopted this adorable Netherland Dwarf doe yesterday. She's four years old. The manager of the shelter said she had been horribly mistreated. Any time I try to get close to her, she scurries away, and is deathly afraid of me. Anyone know of any ways I can build her trust?

Sit on the floor, read a book and let her come to you when she's ready. Once she realises you're not a threat, she'll come to you more easily. It's a long process and leaving the odd treat on your leg will help if you don't move to feed it to her at first, you can then start feeding treats from your hand etc. She needs to decide if she trusts you first so you must be patient but don't overdo the treats as you don't want to upset her tummy

So, I adopted this adorable Netherland Dwarf doe yesterday. She's four years old. The manager of the shelter said she had been horribly mistreated. Any time I try to get close to her, she scurries away, and is deathly afraid of me. Anyone know of any ways I can build her trust?

Hi there and welcome :wave:

A friend of mine who worked in Rescue with me used to sit on the floor of the rabbit pen, holding a book of poetry and read to the rabbits. In no time at all they were all gathered around her, and even on her to investigate this new creature who wasn't hassling them. :D

If you ignore rabbits, even if you do yoga in the same room, they will find it irresistible in the end to come up and investigate.

One of mine was horribly mistreated, and wouldn't countenance a human to begin with. He now tolerates hand feeding and stroking :love:

Back