• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A good vet visit

Limit

Warren Scout
Monte saw the vet yesterday, as always he's incredibly well behaved. Got straight into his carrier with no fuss and even flopped on the way there! :lol: His heart and lungs are all clear, so the snuffles is only in his nose still which I'm pleased about. He's now 6.4 kg so he's put on some weight again and is now at a perfect weight for his size I think. He's been prescribed 0.8 ml Septrin daily for two weeks, with bisolvon to thin out his thick mucous, and I've still got a lot of metacam left over so giving that too. Super pleased with this and I'm hoping we get better results at shifting his snuffles completely. Also glad he likes the septrin, because the baytril became impossible to give to him sometimes :roll:

Have been grooming him a lot more now too, as the snot is quite literally everywhere on him. Any advice on how to clean it off around his nose and whiskers? It keeps drying around those areas and I can't seem to get it off!

Monte saw the vet yesterday, as always he's incredibly well behaved. Got straight into his carrier with no fuss and even flopped on the way there! :lol: His heart and lungs are all clear, so the snuffles is only in his nose still which I'm pleased about. He's now 6.4 kg so he's put on some weight again and is now at a perfect weight for his size I think. He's been prescribed 0.8 ml Septrin daily for two weeks, with bisolvon to thin out his thick mucous, and I've still got a lot of metacam left over so giving that too. Super pleased with this and I'm hoping we get better results at shifting his snuffles completely. Also glad he likes the septrin, because the baytril became impossible to give to him sometimes :roll:

Have been grooming him a lot more now too, as the snot is quite literally everywhere on him. Any advice on how to clean it off around his nose and whiskers? It keeps drying around those areas and I can't seem to get it off!

Hi Limit :wave:

Really pleased to read this :)

Yes Baytril is a real bu@@er to give, isn't it? I must say my experience has been that antibiotics for white stuff in the nose gets to be hard to shift. Also, you're doing absolutely the right thing using Bisolvon, as thinning the mucous would also stop it from irritating the nasal cavities.

Have you thought of nebulising? You can use saline, or you could discuss using an antibiotic such as Baytril in the nebuliser.

Hi Limit :wave:

Really pleased to read this :)

Yes Baytril is a real bu@@er to give, isn't it? I must say my experience has been that antibiotics for white stuff in the nose gets to be hard to shift. Also, you're doing absolutely the right thing using Bisolvon, as thinning the mucous would also stop it from irritating the nasal cavities.

Have you thought of nebulising? You can use saline, or you could discuss using an antibiotic such as Baytril in the nebuliser.

Did think about it and it was brought up with the vet but she wanted to try this combination to lessen the stress for Monte... or me more like! Think thats definitely something to think about and I'll ask about it more. Yeah never had luck with baytril, he takes everything else like a champ but the claws come out with baytril and it's a bunny burrito job :lol: Was also really surprised how much the septrin smells like banana, haha. The bisolvon was ordered in for me so picking it up today, seems easy to give, now just to try and get some echinacea.

Did think about it and it was brought up with the vet but she wanted to try this combination to lessen the stress for Monte... or me more like! Think thats definitely something to think about and I'll ask about it more. Yeah never had luck with baytril, he takes everything else like a champ but the claws come out with baytril and it's a bunny burrito job :lol: Was also really surprised how much the septrin smells like banana, haha. The bisolvon was ordered in for me so picking it up today, seems easy to give, now just to try and get some echinacea.

Just a couple of tips.
Encouragement - my Benjie managed about 5-6 years with pasteurella snuffles & we used Septrin & bisolvon. He died from other causes.

If you use a saline nebuliser - you can make the saline yourself but HAVE to use sea salt - there's no need for a chamber or mask - just put him on your knee & use the mouth piece to waft the atomised saline in the direction of his nose - avoid blasting air in his face. I'd use this at the 1st sign of relapse,which was a bit idiosynchratic to put it mildly! It usually avoided the need for ABx. Also we get the left over saline, doing it this way so you might start to taste salt in your own mouth!
If saline does the trick, it has a great advantage of not causing bacterial resistance, or killing the good bacteria which are left to "crowd out" the nasties.

Giving Bisolvon, I'd put it on a basil leaf & wrap up the leaf into a parcel. Straight in! Apparently Basil helps to make mucus slightly thinner too.
Great stuff. It's doesn't only thin the mucus in nose & sinuses so infected gunk gets out fast, but also speeds up the little hairs (cillia) which move the mucus out. Because Bisolvon affects the whole respiratory tract it should protect against spread of infection to middle ear & lungs.

Stress relief is the key for some rabbits like mine. I also used echinacea. Benjie wouldn't take the liquid alcohol extracted drops, so I had to cut open the gelatin capsules to get the powder. This went on the basil leaf with the Bisolvon.
Benny soon preferred basil with meds than without!

You're doing all the right things. No point in giving ABx unless you are getting the infected gunk out (Polite term is drainage)
Wishing you both all the best. Monte sounds a darling.

I agree with everything thumps has said regarding nebulising with saline etc .. I told you about my bunny with the intractable white snot? He was nebulised with saline only. I think it's important to keep the mucous diluted so that it doesn't cause any build up of scar tissue (through inflammation) in the nostrils. You don't want to trap more bacteria in there if possible.

I have nebulised several times over the years, but my current bun will just sit on my lap and have the mask over his face. The only thing is, if I get distracted he knows and will pull his face out, move the mask away with his teeth and be generally restless until I give him my full attention. This means one hand holding the mask and another stroking him :lol:

Back