• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Deceased bunny and rebonding advice

jayne2710

Young Bun
I had 2 mini lop sisters, who were the best of friends - Bluebell and May. Sadly and very suddenly May was taken from us last week at just 2 years old. The family have all been heartbroken. I now have poor Bluebell on her lonesome in the rabbit shed. I have been spending as much time with her as possible and thinking about getting her another bunny friend.

My question is - is it best to get another adult rabbit or a baby bunn? Bluebell was always the more dominant of the 2 previously. I am keen to get her another mate but feel nervous about the whole bonding process as it seems really complicated to achieve a successful bond!
Can anyone give me any advice please?
From a heart broken bunn lover x x

I had 2 mini lop sisters, who were the best of friends - Bluebell and May. Sadly and very suddenly May was taken from us last week at just 2 years old. The family have all been heartbroken. I now have poor Bluebell on her lonesome in the rabbit shed. I have been spending as much time with her as possible and thinking about getting her another bunny friend.

My question is - is it best to get another adult rabbit or a baby bunn? Bluebell was always the more dominant of the 2 previously. I am keen to get her another mate but feel nervous about the whole bonding process as it seems really complicated to achieve a successful bond!
Can anyone give me any advice please?
From a heart broken bunn lover x x

Jayne, how sad and it must've been heart-breaking for you :(

I wouldn't get another baby rabbit, but an adult male/buck. I usually get my rabbits from rescue centres, where they are already neutered and vaccinated.

If you get a rabbit from a Rescue near to you, then they can often do the bonding for you. And certainly if it doesn't work out they will take the rabbit back :)

I've done hundreds of bonds, and it's not complicated really :)

I am so sorry you have lost one of your rabbits. Did you know why she died? Perhaps you should wait a while to make sure your remaining rabbit stays well before getting her friend, just in case. Are they vaccinated? As MM says, it would be best to get a boyfriend for her possibly around the same age. If you have a local Rescue they might have a suitable bunny already neutered. Is your little girl spayed? I doubt it would work with a female or a baby. There is quite a lot to consider and you don't want to make a mistake. Rabbits are fairly good at coping with the loss of a sister or friend and it will only be for a short time. Please keep in touch.

Back