• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mouse in rabbit hutch

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I've been taking care of a family member's rabbit while she's been unwell and have found evidence that he's sharing his hutch with a mouse - a neat pile of his pellets in a spot he can't reach behind the litter tray, and little droppings in and around his food bowl.

Bunny has an ongoing struggle with mites and is having ivermectin spot on to treat. He seems otherwise healthy (a little lonely since he lost his partner but his Mum isn't in a position to take on a friend for him right now) and I haven't noticed any obvious changes in his behaviour since discovering the mouse.

Any ideas on what to do? He was originally being given pellets to graze on so I've started portioning them in the mornings and taking the bowl out once he's finished, hopefully this will encourage him to eat more hay as well.

Thanks in advance!

Well, I would get rid of the mice asap. (normaly, when you see evidence of one mouse there are a couple of them). I can't stand their smell, that alone is reason enough for me to set traps. But they can also carry some infections and stuff.

Be careful with snap traps, I put them into a box with holes too small for anything but mice, and I don't put them anywhere where my rabbits could get. The box is to protect birds.
I have a lower success rate with live traps, didn't catch anything with these commercial iglu-style wire traps, built some that worked ok.

Now I have some snakes in the barn, much better :)

Back