• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood... and where to buy it?

Chrisrules334

Warren Scout
Hey,

I am looking to spend my day off work tomorrow getting crafty and making the rabbits a little house to go in their run. As the winter approaches I think it'd be a good place for them to snooze...!

My questions...

What wood to buy & where would you recommend getting it?
How would you fix it together? Glue, nails, screws? Think all have their own risks... glue (easier to ingest), nails and screws (may chew threw wood and expose the pointy end.. probably wouldn't eat it though)

Cheers :)

Fixing I always use screws: they're easier to get in than nails and an electric screwdriver (drill with screwdriver bits) makes the job a doddle. Glue is unlikely to last very long even before considering the ingestion implications.

Wood: I use my local Wickes or B&Q depending on what I want and where I can get it. Wickes is cheaper. There's a proper timber yard nearby but it's a bit posh and I think it might only be cheaper there in proper bulk, but if you've got one near you it might be best. You want real timber, not plywood etc., that hasn't been chemically treated. If you choose to chemically treat it afterwards that's up to you (I did with mine with oil-based stuff). Pine is OK and relatively easy to manipulate etc., but won't last forever.

Thanks :) I have a 'Tippers' so I will see what they have. Don't want much... An offcut will probably do.

Will see how it goes tomorrow :)

Back