• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coco's bleeding from her bottom U/D POST 18 GOOD NEWS!

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Whilst cleaning out the shed this morning, and tidying the litter tray areas (note the plural!) I saw a patch of very fresh blood. I thought one of the buns had pulled a claw somehow, but no claw was present. There wasn't much blood and what was there looked a little smudged anyway as where it was it high traffic, as it were, given it's where they toilet.

Managed to unceremoniously grasp Thumper and pick her up to have a look at her bum when they came over for treats; nothing.

Did the same to Coco and picked her up more successfully and found blood actually coming from her anus :shock::(.

We have a vet appointment for 3pm as that's the earliest we can get in today as there's only one vet on for some reason, unusual for a Monday so one must have called in sick. We'll keep an eye on her, and obviously if it gets worse will ring the vet as an emergency.

There was no blood yesterday and it was too fresh for it to have happened overnight - it's literally within the hour or less of me going out to them this morning.

Yes, they are spayed, over 5 years ago.

I'm thinking something to do with the bladder. Any ideas? I'm worried.

She's perfectly fine in herself.

Last edited:
Whilst cleaning out the shed this morning, and tidying the litter tray areas (note the plural!) I saw a patch of very fresh blood. I thought one of the buns had pulled a claw somehow, but no claw was present. There wasn't much blood and what was there looked a little smudged anyway as where it was it high traffic, as it were, given it's where they toilet.

Managed to unceremoniously grasp Thumper and pick her up to have a look at her bum when they came over for treats; nothing.

Did the same to Coco and picked her up more successfully and found blood actually coming from her vaginal area :shock::(.

We have a vet appointment for 3pm as that's the earliest we can get in today as there's only one vet on for some reason, unusual for a Monday so one must have called in sick. We'll keep an eye on her, and obviously if it gets worse will ring the vet as an emergency.

There was no blood yesterday and it was too fresh for it to have happened overnight - it's literally within the hour or less of me going out to them this morning.

It could be a UTI, but there are other possible causes. Have you actually been able to have a good look at/in/around her genitals for any sign of injury ?

How is she within herself ?

Hi Jane, thank you for your reply.

When I picked her up she was shaking (doesn't like being handled much) but I could see there were no signs of injury, just a bit of blood seeping out.

She's perfectly fine in herself, absolutely normal behaviour - greeted me at the shed door, wolfed down the pellets when I offered them (they have literally about 5 each in a morning from my hand), bounced around the garden like a spring lamb, and raced her sister to get a treat from the box when I rattled it. If I hadn't found the blood, I'd be none the wiser. This is a complete bolt out of the blue. There was only one spot/patch of blood too, so it's only just started (thank goodness - caught it early whatever it is).

Did the same to Coco and picked her up more successfully and found blood actually coming from her anus :shock::(.

Hi Angie

Sorry to hear this!

When you go to the vet, why don't you try and collect a urine sample to take with you? Use a syringe if you have one, and a clean jar (or leave it in the syringe).

Then the vet can do a dipstick test on it whilst you are there and eliminate a possible Urinary Tract Infection?

The vet may be able to express the bladder, but not if she's just had a pee :)

Hugs x

Hi Angie

Sorry to hear this!

When you go to the vet, why don't you try and collect a urine sample to take with you? Use a syringe if you have one, and a clean jar (or leave it in the syringe).

Then the vet can do a dipstick test on it whilst you are there and eliminate a possible Urinary Tract Infection?

The vet may be able to express the bladder, but not if she's just had a pee :)

Hugs x

That's a good idea MM, I'll try, but it's going to be very difficult with 2 bunnies, and if she's just had a wee when I go in there, I could be waiting for ages with no results. I'll take a clean oral syringe in with me when I check them at lunch time, one never knows! x

Thank you, Alicia x

I'd best log off for a bit and do some work!

I dunno; what with the hamster and now Coco, I think I'll just move the animals into the vets' :? :(.

That's a good idea MM, I'll try, but it's going to be very difficult with 2 bunnies, and if she's just had a wee when I go in there, I could be waiting for ages with no results. I'll take a clean oral syringe in with me when I check them at lunch time, one never knows! x

I ended up having to separate and put a box with hay and no newspaper in to get a sample. It took a while, and it may not be practical for you to separate (and then she might not oblige!). But worth a try, just in case it's of any use :)

Sending vibes for Coco. I hope the vet can find a simple cause that is easily treatable.

Thank you everyone :) x

Well good news - I popped out to check on the girlies and they were both snuggled up in the hay together half asleep :love: and enjoyed a fuss off me while I inspected the toilet areas and I'm glad to report that I found no more blood :thumb:.

Whether any more will appear from then (about an hour ago) up to just prior to 3pm when the vet appointment is remains to be seen, but at least for now, there's no fresh blood which can only be good ... I hope.

Well that's good and she is obviously not in pain but best to get it checked out, good luck.

Sorry to hear this, but glad that there is no more blood. Hope the vets visit goes well, fingers and paws crossed here xx

Thank you everyone :) x

Well good news - I popped out to check on the girlies and they were both snuggled up in the hay together half asleep :love: and enjoyed a fuss off me while I inspected the toilet areas and I'm glad to report that I found no more blood :thumb:.

Whether any more will appear from then (about an hour ago) up to just prior to 3pm when the vet appointment is remains to be seen, but at least for now, there's no fresh blood which can only be good ... I hope.

Yes, maybe it was a small cut/graze that's not visible. Whatever, I hope all is OK xx

Hi everyone :wave:.

All is well, which is a relief.

Basically, the area around her vulva was dirty with remnants of poop and bits of gunk from her scent glands. Apparently, it's quite difficult for girlies to clean themselves effectively that deeply when they get older (and fatter - Coco's a bit "plump" :lol:) due to the folds of the skin and it had got a bit infected too. The vet gave her a good clean and also had to tweezer out what appeared to be a tiny thorn or something which had also got stuck - ouch!

So she's on baytril twice daily for 5 days and metacam once daily for 3 days. If I see any more blood I'm obviously to take her back but the vet doesn't think I will, so that's positive.

Also, starting from next month, once a month I'm to give both girls the once over and clean their vulvas. Lovely. It'll be a two-person job though, of course. But if we can't manage it at home as they tend to really struggle in their known environment - they freeze solid at the vet! - then it'll have to become a regular expense at the vet, but what has to be, will be. I may not have to clean them monthly of course but certainly need to have a close look.

I felt a bit rotten but the vet was very kind and as my husband pointed out, we've had them for 6 years and this is the first time this problem has occurred so not too shabby really.

Oh, she checked Thumper over too who also needed a quick wipe/clean but wasn't too bad. Didn't charge for her, in fact only charged for the consultation for Coco.

So, excellent news all round! I was thinking cancer at worst, UTI at best. The vet laughed at me, but in a kind way :). She knows how worried I get about the animals. After walking in and saying hello, she asked how Twinkie the hamster was, which I thought was lovely :love:.

Oh that's a good update. I've never given doughnut a clean there and she's 6. Like you say I wouldn't be able to do it on my own but it's something I've never been aware of. Good luck with getting the antibiotic into little one. That's the one medicine doughnut is a nightmare with. Even try mixing it with stuff but she sniffs it out!

fab news - better get some latex gloves & nosepegs at the ready:lol:

I had a very fluffy diva once, Myrtle. I was taking Noodle for a consult with FHB so took the opportunity to have both examined. Myrtle was a little tubby. FHB discovered excess folds of skin that were getting infected & she had to have an op. My mates took the mick for ages about me having a rabbit with a "designer vagina". On her bill it read "labia skin fold trim" :shock: Glad cocos issues are not so severe

Back