• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get a second rabbit?

Chantelle1708

Young Bun
Hi, my 5 month buck has now been neutered and I am now looking for a doe to bond with him however, I am worried that in doing so will change him and he may not take to it?

He is completely free range in the house, is trained exceptionally well and it is just me and him in the house. Can a single rabbit be entirely happy?? Or is it always better to get another one? He never seems lonely or depressed, he isn't as playful as I would have thought though as he just likes to lie there and chill in between looking for food most of the time, I don't know if this is because he's a single rabbit. The only time he is alone in the house is when I am at work.

It sounds like your bunny has a lovely home! I always believe a rabbit should have a rabbit friend, there are so many more things 2 can do, eg groom one another, and of course they both speak the same language. As he is still very young he won't be set in his ways so introducing another bunny shouldn't be difficult. As to whether a new bunny would be as impeccably clean as him you can't guarantee but that is the chance you have to take. It is lovely to see 2 bunnies sitting close together.

I’m jealous you have him free range all the time, I couldn’t trust mine :lol: I agree with tonibun they do benefit from having company of their own kind. If you contact a rescue they would help you with choosing a suitable bunny, although there’s no guarantee a new bunny would be as housetrained as yours they can give you info on their personality and behaviour while in the care of the rescue.

My girl Daphne started as a lone house rabbit. I only worked 6 hours a day so she had me home basically all the time but we felt introducing another bun was in her best interest.

Honestly, best decision we ever made. She's so much happier with her hunbun. She loves the attention she gets from her own species and although she's not at cuddly with us anymore it's just so much more amazing seeing her run around and binky with her friend.

Toilet training wise, urine is still perfect (apart from if they get a urine infection). Faeces they do sometimes knock it out the tray but that's easily picked up.

I think he would love a hunbun of his own to love and snuggle up to x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of your advice. Hopefully I can find a baby from a rescue as I feel like it’s best to get a baby train her the way I did George plus hopefully, she will copy him in what he does. He’s only 5 months so im hoping the little age gap won’t be a problem. X

Thanks for all of your advice. Hopefully I can find a baby from a rescue as I feel like it’s best to get a baby train her the way I did George plus hopefully, she will copy him in what he does. He’s only 5 months so im hoping the little age gap won’t be a problem. X
Age doesn't matter too much but please ensure bun is old enough to defend themselves in the event of a fight.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Maybe a Rescue has a young spayed doe then you could introduce them straightaway. If you get a baby rabbit she would need to mature a little before putting her with George. Also some baby rabbits are difficult to sex so you could end up with a boy which looked like a girl. Just a few things to think about.

Back