• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blossoms Weight.

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Just recently, my dd and I have noticed that Blossom appears to have lost weight. However everything else appears normal, she's active, would eat like a horse if we let her, (in fact she's there like a shot when she sees me with the food) has normal poos and appears content.

She's been with us for 4 months now. I'm annoyed that I dont have her weight from when she arrived. She did have a dog size food bowl at her previous home and was large with a big dew lap. Is it maybe that she is now a normal weight as opposed to overweight? I realise it would be useful to have her weight now, which I don't currently. Is it normal for some rabbits be quite lean and to be able to feel their spine quite well? We think she's a dwarf lop btw.

Thanks in advance x

Hi all,

Just recently, my dd and I have noticed that Blossom appears to have lost weight. However everything else appears normal, she's active, would eat like a horse if we let her, (in fact she's there like a shot when she sees me with the food) has normal poos and appears content.

She's been with us for 4 months now. I'm annoyed that I dont have her weight from when she arrived. She did have a dog size food bowl at her previous home and was large with a big dew lap. Is it maybe that she is now a normal weight as opposed to overweight? I realise it would be useful to have her weight now, which I don't currently. Is it normal for some rabbits be quite lean and to be able to feel their spine quite well? We think she's a dwarf lop btw.

Thanks in advance x

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-weight.asp

:)

both my girls feel skinny to me but everyone assures me they are normal. Mouse's spine is especially prominent. Too thin is better than too fat with bunnies but I'm aware different buns do seem to have different metabolic rates so maybe she just needs a little more x

Hi all,

Thanks in advance x

It's a difficult one. I have to say that if two of you think she has lost weight, then there's a fair chance she has. She hasn't got a vaccination or anything coming up, has she? You could ask the vet to weigh her - and for an opinion, if so ..

I can't remember how old Blossom is?

If she's feeling bony I would think about doing something about it. Yes some rabbits are lean, but when a rabbit is lean you don't usually feel the spine so easily unless they are underweight.

Not sure if my ramblings have helped you at all :)

Thanks for the replies.

I've given her a check over and there's no doubt she has lost a considerable amount of weight, she feels tiny and was such a big girl before. I'm taking her to get checked tomorrow as I've read there can be something serious underlying it and her still eating doesn't necessarily mean that nothing is wrong. One of the things I read is tooth spurs. The last time she saw the vet was when she had her RHD2 jab back in July. She's around 4 1/2, MM.

I feel terrible that I haven't picked up on it sooner, it just seemed so gradually but at the same time quick. It was like we noticed she was looking a little thinner and then suddenly very much so. I'm worried that she won't do well outside now it's colder and she is alone. Should I try to bring her inside? I don't really have space, but I don't want her out there and in danger.

I had all these plans that both Blossom and Spud would have had their ops by now and be happily living inside together and it just hasn't happened :( x

Thanks for the replies.

I've given her a check over and there's no doubt she has lost a considerable amount of weight, she feels tiny and was such a big girl before. I'm taking her to get checked tomorrow as I've read there can be something serious underlying it and her still eating doesn't necessarily mean that nothing is wrong. One of the things I read is tooth spurs. The last time she saw the vet was when she had her RHD2 jab back in July. She's around 4 1/2, MM.

I feel terrible that I haven't picked up on it sooner, it just seemed so gradually but at the same time quick. It was like we noticed she was looking a little thinner and then suddenly very much so. I'm worried that she won't do well outside now it's colder and she is alone. Should I try to bring her inside? I don't really have space, but I don't want her out there and in danger.

I had all these plans that both Blossom and Spud would have had their ops by now and be happily living inside together and it just hasn't happened :( x

Personally I would bring her in if she has lost a huge amount of weight. It would mean she'd need to remain indoors til Spring though.

How old was she when she was spayed ? Sorry, I do not recall her history.

Have you noticed her drinking more than usual ?

I hope that if there is an underlying problem the Vet can help her x

Personally I would bring her in if she has lost a huge amount of weight. It would mean she'd need to remain indoors til Spring though.

How old was she when she was spayed ? Sorry, I do not recall her history.

Have you noticed her drinking more than usual ?

I hope that if there is an underlying problem the Vet can help her x

Thanks JJ.

She's not been spayed yet, I'm ashamed to say it should have been done by now and this was the plan, but we've dithered about it.

If anything I think she could be drinking less as it doesn't always need refilling, though I always put fresh in regardless.

I am really worried now the weather has turned so cold, I just don't know where on earth to put her. But I afraid I'll go out one morning and she'll be gone.

In theory if I made room, would it affect her being brought from outside to inside or does the fact that she's so thin override any concerns in that respect? x

Thanks for the replies.

I shouldn't panic until she's had a good inspection by your vet. Weighed, and also felt for boniness. Yes tooth spurs could be the culprit, but most vets won't be able to see inside the mouth cavity properly to asses without anaesthetic. You don't want to do that if she's losing weight.

My personal view is to make sure she's as cosy as possible outside, and feed her up. But if you can find space for her until well into Spring time, then bring her in. But once again, I would take your vet's advice about that.

You can't get everything done. You do so much for rabbits and you shouldn't blame yourself. Even houserabbits get thin sometimes, right under their owners' noses!

Thanks JJ.

She's not been spayed yet, I'm ashamed to say it should have been done by now and this was the plan, but we've dithered about it.

If anything I think she could be drinking less as it doesn't always need refilling, though I always put fresh in regardless.

I am really worried now the weather has turned so cold, I just don't know where on earth to put her. But I afraid I'll go out one morning and she'll be gone.

In theory if I made room, would it affect her being brought from outside to inside or does the fact that she's so thin override any concerns in that respect? x

Moving from outdoors to indoors should not be a problem. You obviously wont place her in a really hot location such as a cage right next to a radiator that she cannot move away from.

If her weightloss is as severe as you fear then she will really struggle outside on her own and any calories she is taking on board will be used up trying to keep herself warm.

Have you noticed any changes in her Respiratory rate/effort ?

This sounds so familiar! I'mafraid things don't always go to plan with rabbits but that isn't your fault. You will feel better if you can have her indoors and I hope you can find out why she has lost weight. My old Vet used to say if a rabbit loses weight it could be a tumour, but it might not be that of course. xx

Thanks JJ.

It's not a problem bringing a rabbit inside. It's going outside when they haven't got their winter coat that's the issue.

How is her demeanour? Is she hunched up trying to keep warm and not moving, or is she as lively as usual?

Sending lots of vibes for Blossom.

I just wanted to say that, because a rabbit is eating lots and yet still having difficulty in maintaining weight, it is not always necessarily indicative of something serious going on. I can't say for sure what is going on in Blossom's case, but Tan was like this for around the last three years of her life. She ate loads of food and the only way I could get her to maintain her weight was to feed her extra. It became the case that whenever she was by herself, I gave her a FibaFirst stick or a Supreme Vetcare Digestive stick.

A vet examination is definitely the first step.

Thank you so much everyone.

Her breathing seems normal, JJ, and she appears calm and relaxed.

But in a way too relaxed if that makes sense. She's currently sat next to me on the sofa, snuggled up (my dd insisted I bring her in) and so chilled out, and she let me pick her up no bother when she would previously run away. So I'm thinking that's because she is ill.

She has had a bit of an explore of the room and is showing an interest in my tablet, I wouldn't say she's hunched up or anything.

It may be a coincidence that we've noticed a gradual change over the last couple of weeks since she moved into the hutch/run set up (from the shed, so Thor and Loki could have it). She's been struggling with the ramp and we were planning to adapt it. It's the first time she's had full time run access x

But in a way too relaxed if that makes sense. She's currently sat next to me on the sofa, snuggled up (my dd insisted I bring her in) and so chilled out, and she let me pick her up no bother when she would previously run away. So I'm thinking that's because she is ill.

She has had a bit of an explore of the room and is showing an interest in my tablet, I wouldn't say she's hunched up or anything.

It may be a coincidence that we've noticed a gradual change over the last couple of weeks since she moved into the hutch/run set up (from the shed, so Thor and Loki could have it). She's been struggling with the ramp and we were planning to adapt it. It's the first time she's had full time run access x

A change does sometimes upset them. They're funny little things these bunnies.

She could appear a lot more relaxed as she's indoors and it's much warmer inside?

I hope she isn't ill. What might she have been missing by not being able to use the ramp well enough?

She could appear a lot more relaxed as she's indoors and it's much warmer inside?

I hope she isn't ill. What might she have been missing by not being able to use the ramp well enough?[/QUOTE]

Clutching at straws :? I guess!

Maybe it could be stressful for her, struggling to get up, idk.

She spent the night in our bedroom. I managed to create a decent size pen using the panels from Spuds set up (that we no longer needed anyway because he's good as gold) and lots of puppy pads, mats and some Lino ofcuts I found. My dh said I'm good at bodging things together like my dad :lol: x

I hope she isn't ill. What might she have been missing by not being able to use the ramp well enough?[/QUOTE]

Clutching at straws :? I guess!

Maybe it could be stressful for her, struggling to get up, idk.

She spent the night in our bedroom. I managed to create a decent size pen using the panels from Spuds set up (that we no longer needed anyway because he's good as gold) and lots of puppy pads, mats and some Lino ofcuts I found. My dh said I'm good at bodging things together like my dad :lol: x

Does she seem happier inside?

I think rabbit owners need to be very good at bodging, as there's always so many changes needed to accommodate these little creatures ..:roll:

Back