• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please

Hi,

Our babies seem to have settled in well, but I have noticed that they don’t seem to be eating a lot of hay. They seem to occasionally nibble on it, but they haven’t consumed a lot over the past 2 days. What they are eating is their pellets, between them they are getting through 120g per day. Is this ok, or what can I do to help them eat more hay?

Thanks

Hi :) How old are you babies? 120g of pellets seems like an awful lot but I know nothing of younger rabbits dietary needs . If they are adult rabbits as advise a steady reduction in pellets - my bunnies have 24g between 3 of them

Hi,

They are 8 weeks old. We only got them yesterday. The back of the burgess excel pellets says 60g per rabbit per day until they are 16 weeks. X

Hi,

Our babies seem to have settled in well, but I have noticed that they don’t seem to be eating a lot of hay. They seem to occasionally nibble on it, but they haven’t consumed a lot over the past 2 days. What they are eating is their pellets, between them they are getting through 120g per day. Is this ok, or what can I do to help them eat more hay?

Thanks

This link may be useful

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/diet-baby.asp

As you only got your rabbits yesterday they will need to settle in and get used to you and their new home. It will all be a bit bewildering as you can imagine so as long as you give them plenty of the food they were used to eating when they were with their Mum then they should be fine. Hay is something babies aren't too keen on at first but as they get older they will get used to their hay and enjoy eating it.

As you only got your rabbits yesterday they will need to settle in and get used to you and their new home. It will all be a bit bewildering as you can imagine so as long as you give them plenty of the food they were used to eating when they were with their Mum then they should be fine. Hay is something babies aren't too keen on at first but as they get older they will get used to their hay and enjoy eating it.

I second this :)

Tonibun has lots of rabbit experience :)

Thanks all,

I have spoken to my friend who gave them to us, who says “they only need a third of pellets a day and the rest hay”. Not really sure what she means.

When I cleaned them out this morning there were lots of droppings, but the were all uniform in shape and hardness, which if I’ve read right is a good sign. X

Back