• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to buy hay in bulk - online/farms? - Stockport area

kelly1987

New Kit
Hi everyone,

We have gone from 2 buns to 4 buns (very long story but we now have 2 amazing set ups with 2 bonded pairs)

Now we have doubled we are noticing we are going through a lot of hay.

We currently buy our hay from pets at home. We buy timothy hay, timothy hay with marigold, etc

I am just wondering how people buy their hay with a lot of buns? is it cheaper and easier online somewhere? we also went to a local farm and bought a bag of hay for £1 and currently mixing that in but unsure if its safe?

thanks for the help

Kelly

Hi, and welcome to the forum:wave: I buy hay by the bale for my rabbit and goats from a local equestrian feed merchant, it's good quality and my rabbits have always preferred it to the expensive pet shop stuff. Are your bunnies vaccinated for vhd, myxomatosis and the new vhd2 vaccine? as VHD2 is moreand more widespread and can be transmitted easily.

My bunnies love timothyhay.co.uk as well - I also get them the oat hay. In some ways I think this is more about me than them as they loved their baled hay (£4 a bale) I used to get them (I'm scared to go back, what would I do with it all if they are hay snobs now?:lol:). A while back I ran out & got them the timothy hay with dandelion? (£2 for 1k I think) from B&M & although its very soft Mousey loves it & they all eat it. I'd try farm hay first & maybe some timothy oat as treat hay / topper

Cheshire pet supplies do a hay bale. You can collect or they deliver to Stockport on a Friday. I haven't used them myself but someone recommended them to me a while back when I was looking for somewhere.

I order a bale from Gjw titmuss/time for paws currently, and buy other hays from zooplus. Timothy hay I get from timothyhay.co.uk :wave:

If you want a general meadow hay similar to that you get in petshops try Nature's Own hay. You buy in batches of 5 online but very good for litter trays as it's very soft.

https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/

I think a fair few people on here buy this stuff. I love it, and so do my boys!

Use with caution!!! I gave my lot one bag and now they won't touch anything else :lol:
I'm just kidding. It can be expensive but it is so worth it. It's the best hay I've ever come across - very green, extremely long strands. They all love it.

Prior to Timothyhay.co.uk I used to buy this: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/horses/feed/hay_fibre/hay_fibre/496147 The quality was usually good, though the last one I received wasn't great.
Thanks to my lot being spoilt I pretty much exclusively use Timothyhay.co.uk now :roll:

Back