• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is this red object on my bun?

sure, if you have anything you like, you can email me, I'll PM you w/ my email addr.

Speaking of cat, when I write about Bobby's cancer on my facebook wall, a friend from France has a cat that also had the same cancer. They removed the tumor, then the satellite tumor comes back. Then the cat lives a healthy 2 yr. Then around the 25th mth., the tumor surfaces again, now somehow that French vet told them not to remove the regrowth of the cancer, and they just let it burst. About the 27th mth., the cat passed away.

Anyhoo, a quick question, in general for human or animals, if a tumor is soft, and said it was hard prior, what does that mean?

There really are lots of possible reasons as to why the area now feels softer, I think it'd be far better to discuss it all with a qualified Vet who will actually be able to feel the mass and surrounding tissue.

Just replied to you PM, we'll 'speak' later :)

the only thing I forgot to mention on the above is that when I push that tumor today, it seems quite soft when his muscle is not tense. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing

We managed to shrink the fibroscarma, but it was hard and didn't soften (until it disappeared of course)

We managed to shrink the fibroscarma, but it was hard and didn't soften (until it disappeared of course)

really? what did you guys do to shrink it?

Tonight, I've done some reading on this subject, for human, they said shrinking it is just a secondary objective. The primary objective is to stop the cells from spreading. Since chemo is not an option on this end, I'm hoping the acai / blackberry juice can stop the cellular generation of cancer cells

really? what did you guys do to shrink it?

Tonight, I've done some reading on this subject, for human, they said shrinking it is just a secondary objective. The primary objective is to stop the cells from spreading. Since chemo is not an option on this end, I'm hoping the acai / blackberry juice can stop the cellular generation of cancer cells

By shrinking I meant also stopping the primary cells from spreading. There would be no point in shrinking the tumour without the added benefit.

By shrinking I meant also stopping the primary cells from spreading. There would be no point in shrinking the tumour without the added benefit.

but when you said you manage to shrink the fibroscarma, what trick did you do to shrink it? and are you talking about human or animal tumor?

okay, you mis understand my question, let me try this again:

what exactly was the health method / technique that you shink the fibroscarma cells?

So here's an update:

I took 2 photos of my bun to the vet. 1 photo is when his ass at a certain angle, in which that satellite tumor does not appear to be above the skin. The 2nd photo is when his ass is at a different angle, and that tumor appears above the skin. So it all depends on how his body is positioned

The vet only quoted me the price to remove the satellite tumor and the surrounding area. But in the last meeting, he also said that chemo is the only way to totally kill the tumor. By removing it, it will come back again.

I have no probem w/ that. But when the original tumor is removed, the satellite tumor forms 3 weeks later. So obviously there is no sense to do the surgery, if it re-form again 3 weeks later.

But on the other hand, if it were totally above the skin, I would definitely remove it.

So I am leaning on not removing the satellite tumor until it surface higher, what do you guys think?

The issue with cancerous cells is that it is not always possible to remove all the visible tumour - sometimes there is not enough tissue to remove a wide enough margin of unaffected tissue. As the individual cells can't be seen by human eye, the vet can only do the best under the circumstances. Then there is the issue of satellite cells which create secondary growths in other parts of the body - again, these are probably not visible until they are big enough to either cause problems with the function of the area they are growing in, or they can be seen / felt on external examination. Surgery can only remove the cancerous areas that are known about. Chemo or radiotherapy are the only ways we currently have of treating all cancerous cells throughout the body. Those treatments have to be specific for the type of cancer, and suitable for each individual case. Sadly, there is no absolute cure for all cancers.

The decision on surgery may come down to whether the individual is OK living with the cancer, then going onto palliative care, or continually subjecting them to treatment with limited benefits. Quality of life should also be taken into consideration. Talking through all the options and outcomes with your vet may help you decide what is best.

The issue with cancerous cells is that it is not always possible to remove all the visible tumour - sometimes there is not enough tissue to remove a wide enough margin of unaffected tissue. As the individual cells can't be seen by human eye, the vet can only do the best under the circumstances. Then there is the issue of satellite cells which create secondary growths in other parts of the body - again, these are probably not visible until they are big enough to either cause problems with the function of the area they are growing in, or they can be seen / felt on external examination. Surgery can only remove the cancerous areas that are known about. Chemo or radiotherapy are the only ways we currently have of treating all cancerous cells throughout the body. Those treatments have to be specific for the type of cancer, and suitable for each individual case. Sadly, there is no absolute cure for all cancers.

The decision on surgery may come down to whether the individual is OK living with the cancer, then going onto palliative care, or continually subjecting them to treatment with limited benefits. Quality of life should also be taken into consideration. Talking through all the options and outcomes with your vet may help you decide what is best.

I cant add to the excellent post from Shimmer Jason. Wishing you and your Bun the very best xx

Having lived through cancer on a rabbit (as you know), I agree with this post of Shimmer :)

update:There is a moderate chance that Bobby will pass away today at the surgery

There is a moderate chance that my bun Bobby will pass away today at the surgery table. Bobby has turned 12 year old on Jan. 15, 2018, his birthday is 1 day before mine.

The sequence of event is totally unexpected. Around 4:30 am, I notice the Manuka honey coated cover on his wound has fall off. This wound is not really a wound. It's just the skin that never grow back.

So about every 3 weeks, the Manuka honey coating will fall off, and I simply re-apply a new coating and let it dry. The wound is only 1/2 of the size of my thumb nail, today is nothing new, I've been doing this for a few months, many times. It's very simple.

As I apply the honey, I vaguely recalled that the wound has a bit more blood than usual, so I put the a non-stick pad on it.

About 1/2 hr. to 45 min. later, the wound opens up to a bigger size, so I put a considerable amount of Manuka honey on, put another new non-stick pad, hold him for 1/2 hr. and use an ice-cube afterwards as well.

So prior to go the vet, most of the bleeding has stopped. But when I arrived at the vet and sit and wait, he seems to have trouble using his right leg to sit up. So I assume there is some more blood loss and I ask the nurse for a cotton swab because the vet is running late. In short, from that 45 min. to 1 hr. time frame of waiting for the vet as the 1st appointment of the day, that wound has opened up considerably further.

When I saw that, I yelled at the front desk receptionist and they took him to the back room.

In about 4.5 hr., I would know the outcome. The problem is, because of the size of the wound, the vet said he can try to shave his fur on all size and stitch the wound together, but even if it's successful, the stitches can re-open tomorrow.

I don't know much about how far can rabbit skin stretch, so I don't know is that size of a wound too big for the skin on all wound to be stretched and close it together. Being a realistic person, I don't think I am optimistic at all based on the size of the wound.

The only small piece of hope is that from experience, all doctors (human and animal) always said the worst case scenario for liability reason, so I don't know if he's moderately optimistic or he's cautious, or he has no hope at all and still want to do the surgery.

He did say that he's observing his condition, make sure he's calm and stable before the surgery can take place.

There is a moderate chance that my bun Bobby will pass away today at the surgery table. Bobby has turned 12 year old on Jan. 15, 2018, his birthday is 1 day before mine.

The sequence of event is totally unexpected. Around 4:30 am, I notice the Manuka honey coated cover on his wound has fall off. This wound is not really a wound. It's just the skin that never grow back.

So about every 3 weeks, the Manuka honey coating will fall off, and I simply re-apply a new coating and let it dry. The wound is only 1/2 of the size of my thumb nail, today is nothing new, I've been doing this for a few months, many times. It's very simple.

As I apply the honey, I vaguely recalled that the wound has a bit more blood than usual, so I put the a non-stick pad on it.

About 1/2 hr. to 45 min. later, the wound opens up to a bigger size, so I put a considerable amount of Manuka honey on, put another new non-stick pad, hold him for 1/2 hr. and use an ice-cube afterwards as well.

So prior to go the vet, most of the bleeding has stopped. But when I arrived at the vet and sit and wait, he seems to have trouble using his right leg to sit up. So I assume there is some more blood loss and I ask the nurse for a cotton swab because the vet is running late. In short, from that 45 min. to 1 hr. time frame of waiting for the vet as the 1st appointment of the day, that wound has opened up considerably further.

When I saw that, I yelled at the front desk receptionist and they took him to the back room.

In about 4.5 hr., I would know the outcome. The problem is, because of the size of the wound, the vet said he can try to shave his fur on all size and stitch the wound together, but even if it's successful, the stitches can re-open tomorrow.

I don't know much about how far can rabbit skin stretch, so I don't know is that size of a wound too big for the skin on all wound to be stretched and close it together. Being a realistic person, I don't think I am optimistic at all based on the size of the wound.

The only small piece of hope is that from experience, all doctors (human and animal) always said the worst case scenario for liability reason, so I don't know if he's moderately optimistic or he's cautious, or he has no hope at all and still want to do the surgery.

He did say that he's observing his condition, make sure he's calm and stable before the surgery can take place.

Oh goodness poor Bunny :cry: I really hope that he can pull through xx

Oh goodness poor Bunny :cry: I really hope that he can pull through xx

I am not optmistic at all. The wound even as of 4:30 am this morning was the size of a nickel or so. The same wound all along. After waiting for 45 min. at the vet, I notice he has some trouble trying to sit up w/ his right leg, so I check the wound, and by then, it opens up to the 1/2 of the size of a credit card (approx.)

It wasn't that big at all when he was at the home prior to driving to the vet.

I am scared that a wound that big, the vet can't shave the skin on all sizes to stretch it far enough to close it. And he has make it clear that if that's the case, then he has my consent to put him down, as there is nothing more that can be done

I'm really sorry to hear this :( I hope he can make it through ...

I am not optmistic at all. The wound even as of 4:30 am this morning was the size of a nickel or so. The same wound all along. After waiting for 45 min. at the vet, I notice he has some trouble trying to sit up w/ his right leg, so I check the wound, and by then, it opens up to the 1/2 of the size of a credit card (approx.)

I am scared that a wound that big, the vet can't shave the skin on all sizes to stretch it far enough to close it. And he has make it clear that if that's the case, then he has my consent to put him down, as there is nothing more that can be done

Well whilst it does sound to be a grave situation I dont think that the Vet would even consider trying surgery if he thought that there was no hope of him being able to close the wound. I'm going offline soon, but I will be thinking of your Bun and hoping for a miracle for him xx

This is so distressing for you :(

I hope for the best outcome for him.

Back