• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spurs or something else?

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Boo is off to the vets on Monday.

If I didn't spend half my waking life in her company I doubt I'd have witnessed the following:
The occassional sneeze (house is dusty through work being done on it. I do hoover regularly but Boo is insistent on doing regular inspections), twice manically pawing at her nose so I'm assuming she is producing something but eating it straight away. Nostrils are clean & no crusty paws

A quack noise

I've also seen her paw (not frantically) at her cheek a couple of times after eating dried forage.

My first thought is spurs / dental. Maybe trapped forage / forage wound?

If anyone has any ideas or similar experiences please share & help me prepare mentally. If your rabbit has experienced similar was it diagnosed under GA or during consult.

Many thanks

She is still eating everything & at usual speed, poo normal, behaviour & relationships normal. No tooth grinding. Very tolerant of my feeling her jaw & face

If I didn't spend half my waking life in her company I doubt I'd have witnessed the following:
The occassional sneeze (house is dusty through work being done on it. I do hoover regularly but Boo is insistent on doing regular inspections), twice manically pawing at her nose so I'm assuming she is producing something but eating it straight away. Nostrils are clean & no crusty paws

A quack noise

I've also seen her paw (not frantically) at her cheek a couple of times after eating dried forage.

If anyone has any ideas or similar experiences please share & help me prepare mentally. If your rabbit has experienced similar was it diagnosed under GA or during consult.

Many thanks

She is still eating everything & at usual speed, poo normal, behaviour & relationships normal. No tooth grinding. Very tolerant of my feeling her jaw & face

In similar scenarios I have known of the following :

1- The Rabbit had a foreign body (strand of hay) deep within the nasal cavity and only accessible via Rhinoscopic examination under GA

2- The Rabbit had Dental Disease involving tooth root elongation ,diagnosed from skull radiographs taken during a GA/Dental. He also had molar spurs causing soft tissue damage to his cheeks and tongue. Apparently he had been eating normally though.

3- The Rabbit had Oral Papilloma Virus

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/viral/Rabbit_Oral_Papillomavirus.htm

He also had papillomas in his nasal passages and his ears.

Hope all goes well for Boo at the Vets :)

I haven't any ideas or similar experiences to give. It's many years since I've had a rabbit with any dental issues. I do hope that the vet can find something very simple to account for Boo's recent behaviour though. What worrisome creatures they can be :(

Sending lots of hugs for you.

My thoughts were the same as JJ in 1 & 2. Never really heard of 3 so off I go to do research and learn a little more.

Lots of vibes for my princess Boo. Hopefully it is something easily treatable, or even better it's just her being a little odd.

Sending some comforting vibes to you too as I can imagine how worried you are xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the info & well wishes. I am of course pooping myself about my princess needing a GA & not under FHB. Of course it is some reassurance she is eating lots & being herself. If she has to go under for a proper examination I'll make sure she has xrays done of her skull. I'll keep you updated

I hope it turns out to be something that's nothing to worry about. I don't have any experience of this happening so I can't advise but I'm sending vibes and hugs xx

A quack noise

Many thanks

Good luck at the vets :wave:

I'd kind of decided that I was only taking Boo in for her consult (M&J are stressy travellers). She gets a lot of reassurance from human company. If she stayed in for GA it would be that afternoon if not I'd bring her back when it was booked for. If it turns out to be papilloma virus I guess I'd need the other 2 checked. If not J&M are on good form & can await their health checks when thei rhd2 is due in Jan. Thoughts? One or three bunnies tomorrow (vet is 35 mins away)

I'd kind of decided that I was only taking Boo in for her consult (M&J are stressy travellers). She gets a lot of reassurance from human company. If she stayed in for GA it would be that afternoon if not I'd bring her back when it was booked for. If it turns out to be papilloma virus I guess I'd need the other 2 checked. If not J&M are on good form & can await their health checks when thei rhd2 is due in Jan. Thoughts? One or three bunnies tomorrow (vet is 35 mins away)
When I had the quad they all went even if it only involved one or two (vaccinations were in pairs but all went) as I worried the bond would be affected. But the vets was only 5 mins away and even though Dandy and Beano were half wildie and manic stress heads they were always fine. But it depends how solid the bunny bond is I'd say.

When I first had my four, soon to be three, I took them all along to the vets each time. I quickly realised that (a) their bond was far too strong to have a separation affect them and (b) all of them became so stressed when going to the vets, which was not lessened if they had rabbit company. So against most of the normal advice I only used to take the rabbit who needed to go.

I agree with zoobec, it depends how strong the bond is. I know that not taking them does sometimes cause problems. One of the young vets at my practice was telling me that she has still been unable to re-bond her two after separating them for a vet visit.

My view was that it didn't help the rabbit who needed to go and it caused distress for the ones who were just there for support.

Thank You both. I'm not too worried about a bond failing with this specific scenario - I just have a feeling it will be ok. I remember a month or so after we got Mouse , Joey was admitted in stasis. OH took me to Harrogate but had to leave me there so he could get to work on time. They admitted Joey but wouldn't take Boo (as wanted to monitor his eating) so Ihad to bring her back on the trains bus & taxis. Lucky I didn't take Mouse too. He was in for 2 nights but was greeted lovingly by both - Mouse threw in a happy to have you home hump for good measure. I would always try & take Joey/Mouse with rabbit company but Boo really does love humans just as much. Not as good at snuggling but pretty hot on grooming, adoring & making her feel like a princess

Thinking of you and Boo today. I hope that the vet can quickly establish a simple explanation for Boo's behaviour and importantly one that's easily treatable.

Princess Boo is in my thoughts today.
I think she'll be fine to go alone as they do have an incredible bond. I'm sure boo will go straight back into the group as if it were nothing.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back