• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best way to give the boys their medication.

zarathustra

Warren Scout
So the Mrs and I took the boys to the vets today for a checkup and to have the dry skin they both have looked at.

Turns out that they both have ringworm, Pets At Home agreed to pick up the tab for the medication, we didn’t even ask, as we’ve only had the boys 3 weeks, so it’s likely they had it when we got them.

The vet gave us lots of info on cleaning and disinfecting etc, but one question is have is, is there a good way to give the boys their medication?

We know the doses and have small syringes, but certainly while my Mrs is on nights it will be a one man job, and I can see it being a bit of a faff.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So the Mrs and I took the boys to the vets today for a checkup and to have the dry skin they both have looked at.

Turns out that they both have ringworm, Pets At Home agreed to pick up the tab for the medication, we didn’t even ask, as we’ve only had the boys 3 weeks, so it’s likely they had it when we got them.

The vet gave us lots of info on cleaning and disinfecting etc, but one question is have is, is there a good way to give the boys their medication?

We know the doses and have small syringes, but certainly while my Mrs is on nights it will be a one man job, and I can see it being a bit of a faff.

Some suggestions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ1b49Qsgrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfROVhKTMxI

Hi there and welcome :wave:

Here's some info on the condition, and did the vet tell you to wear gloves when giving the meds? The condition is contagious (to humans) so take care if not :)

http://vetbook.org/wiki/rabbit/index.php?title=Griseofulvin

Some tips on giving the meds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky5RnQdch2w

I find the best way to administer meds is to wrap them in a large towel or blanket and then take them into a room they don't usually go in as I find they tend to play up less in unfamiliar surroundings. I now prefer to have them on the floor between my knees (as in one of the videos above). You need to find the gap between the incisors and pre-molars. I find the easiest way to do that is to rest the tip of the syringe against the front teeth and then slowly move either left or right and the syringe should just pop into the gap. Also make sure the syringe is a couple of centimetres in the mouth to stop them dribbling it out.

Good luck and I hope the boys don't play up too much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,
Where possible I give my rabbits meds by squirting over dried herbs. I've tried syringing but really struggled and my incompetence stressed my rabbit.
I have a little pot (stacking cup for toddlers from mothercare) pop some herbs in squirt the meds and then top up with more dried herbs to minimise the chance that he'll detect the meds. I don't use lots of herbs as you want to make sure they get all the meds i.e. to eat all the herbs. Hope that makes sense?

good luck

Thanks for the advice all.

Hopefully it won’t be too bad, we’ve only had them 3 weeks, so they’re still not 100% used to us or being handled, but they are getting there.

My Mrs has acquired some gloves and disposable aprons etc from work, and everything has been washed in the house where possible, they are outside bunnies, but we obviously need to take infection control seriously.

They’ll have the cleanest hutch in kent by the time the 15 days of meds has finished.

Thanks for the advice all.

Hopefully it won’t be too bad, we’ve only had them 3 weeks, so they’re still not 100% used to us or being handled, but they are getting there.

My Mrs has acquired some gloves and disposable aprons etc from work, and everything has been washed in the house where possible, they are outside bunnies, but we obviously need to take infection control seriously.

They’ll have the cleanest hutch in kent by the time the 15 days of meds has finished.

Yes I guess you will!

Good luck with the rest of the course :)

Thanks for the advice all, first day of the meds’ went well.

We had them outside in a playpen thing while we cleaned and disinfected their hutch, which they much have liked as spencer was binkying around.

The hardest part of giving the meds was catching the little tinkers.

I sat them on my leg tucked into the crook of my arm so they couldn’t back away and once the syringe was in their mouths they just started drinking it.

We had them outside in a playpen thing while we cleaned and disinfected their hutch, which they much have liked as spencer was binkying around.

I sat them on my leg tucked into the crook of my arm so they couldn’t back away and once the syringe was in their mouths they just started drinking it.

Well done !!

Well done :D

Thanks, my fiancé did it today and I think it went off without hitch.

I have to say, considering the boys were a birthday present for her I do like the little chaps.

They’re funny little tinkers, especially as their personalities are starting to show.

Thanks, my fiancé did it today and I think it went off without hitch.

I have to say, considering the boys were a birthday present for her I do like the little chaps.

They’re funny little tinkers, especially as their personalities are starting to show.

All sounding good :thumb:

Thought I’d bump this with a quick update.

The boys really like their meds, it’s quite hard getting the syringes back off them once they’re empty.

The daily cleaning continues. As does the disinfecting with antibacterial wipes etc.

They’re back at the vets for a checkup on Sunday as that’s the last day of their treatment.

It looks better, but I don’t really know what healing ringworm is supposed to look like. The patches haven’t grown, and they don’t seem to have any new patches anywhere.

The patches were completely bald and looked very white/silvery. But they now have dry skin (doesn’t look sore and they don’t seem to be scratching or licking at them) and they are both starting to get some fur growing back as well.

Thought I’d bump this with a quick update.

The boys really like their meds, it’s quite hard getting the syringes back off them once they’re empty.

The daily cleaning continues. As does the disinfecting with antibacterial wipes etc.

They’re back at the vets for a checkup on Sunday as that’s the last day of their treatment.

It looks better, but I don’t really know what healing ringworm is supposed to look like. The patches haven’t grown, and they don’t seem to have any new patches anywhere.

The patches were completely bald and looked very white/silvery. But they now have dry skin (doesn’t look sore and they don’t seem to be scratching or licking at them) and they are both starting to get some fur growing back as well.

From what you say, it sounds like things are well on their way to getting better.

They do look white/silvery to begin with:

http://vetbook.org/wiki/rabbit/index.php?title=Ringworm

Well done you :)

The boys had a checkup with the vet again today. Still a bit manky, so the vet prescribed a topical cream that needs to be applied twice a day.

Then once they’re better we can start with their vaccinations, and then get them neutered.

Thanks for your help and advice. I do worry about the boys, and I want to make sure they’re as happy and healthy as can be.

Back