• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thor's Poop (Update 10/2 Perfect poo)

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

So our 3 new buns, Thor, Skye and Loki have been settling in :).

Skye and Loki are now fully transitioned to Science Selective and after some initial soft poop from Skye, are both doing really well. They are also enjoying a selection of vegetables without issue.

However Thor is not so good. His digestive system didn't appear to cope with the changes and although there were lots of normal poos, theres also been squishy ones, usually 2 or 3 small piles morning and evening. They don't look like cecotropes, more like soft regular poos with the consistency of play doh :?

On the vets advice, we cut out the pellets and have just been giving him hay, but I'm still finding them.

-Could it have anything to do with the Ivermectin for his mites? Although he's only had one vial so far.
-Or might it be stress from living in close proximity to Loki?
-Should I put him back on his muesli type food he arrived with?

As a whole he definitely seems the least 'happy' although it could just be his personality. I mean he seems fine in himself, but just different to the others and not keen on being fussed. He's also very unreliable with his litter tray and will often wee in the middle of the floor, weirdly usually when I've been in the shed once, gone to get something and come back, is he scared of me?

Thanks in advance x

Last edited:
Some thoughts:

Is he now living much closer to Loki than previously? I thought they were pretty close previously?

I've never used Ivermectin on rabbits, so don't know whether this could be a factor. I think you need to think back to when the problem first arose and whether there could be a connection.

The weeing after you've been in the shed to me sounds like marking his territory. I don't think he's been neutered yet (?) and it will be interesting to see if this behaviour and also the unreliability with his litter tray improves after neuter.

Personally I would not put him back on the previous muesli food yet. He's a good weight currently isn't he? I presume your plan is to have them all living together after neutering and so you would want them all on the same food. The fact that the squishy poo hasn't stopped after stopping the Science Selective would suggest to me that this food is not the issue. I think I might have been persuaded to cut out or reduce any vegetables before pellets, but it's trial and error really. I'm presuming that vegetables are a new food for them?

I wouldn't be too concerned at the moment as everything is still quite new for him and things will change again for him once he's neutered.

Some thoughts:

Is he now living much closer to Loki than previously? I thought they were pretty close previously?

I've never used Ivermectin on rabbits, so don't know whether this could be a factor. I think you need to think back to when the problem first arose and whether there could be a connection.

The weeing after you've been in the shed to me sounds like marking his territory. I don't think he's been neutered yet (?) and it will be interesting to see if this behaviour and also the unreliability with his litter tray improves after neuter.

Personally I would not put him back on the previous muesli food yet. He's a good weight currently isn't he? I presume your plan is to have them all living together after neutering and so you would want them all on the same food. The fact that the squishy poo hasn't stopped after stopping the Science Selective would suggest to me that this food is not the issue. I think I might have been persuaded to cut out or reduce any vegetables before pellets, but it's trial and error really. I'm presuming that vegetables are a new food for them?

I wouldn't be too concerned at the moment as everything is still quite new for him and things will change again for him once he's neutered.
This :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi all,

So our 3 new buns, Thor, Skye and Loki have been settling in :).

Skye and Loki are now fully transitioned to Science Selective and after some initial soft poop from Skye, are both doing really well. They are also enjoying a selection of vegetables without issue.

However Thor is not so good. His digestive system didn't appear to cope with the changes and although there were lots of normal poos, theres also been squishy ones, usually 2 or 3 small piles morning and evening. They don't look like cecotropes, more like soft regular poos with the consistency of play doh :?

On the vets advice, we cut out the pellets and have just been giving him hay, but I'm still finding them.

-Could it have anything to do with the Ivermectin for his mites? Although he's only had one vial so far.
-Or might it be stress from living in close proximity to Loki?
-Should I put him back on his muesli type food he arrived with?

As a whole he definitely seems the least 'happy' although it could just be his personality. I mean he seems fine in himself, but just different to the others and not keen on being fussed. He's also very unreliable with his litter tray and will often wee in the middle of the floor, weirdly usually when I've been in the shed once, gone to get something and come back, is he scared of me?

Thanks in advance x

Hi there :)

Neutering will help enormously with the weeing problem. If it continues or you're worried, take a sample of it to the vet for him to do a dipstick test just to be sure there's nothing else going on.

I doubt very much the Ivermectin is making a difference.

You could try putting probiotics in his water, or on his veggies and see if it makes a difference?:

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_4.aspx

It could be the change that is upsetting his digestion to some extent.

I wouldn't go back to the muesli at the moment. Can you perhaps try fibafirst sticks if you need to give him dry ration without pellets? They are very high in fibre. Is he eating plenty of hay?

I wonder if there's something else he's getting more of - e.g. grass? - that he didn't have before and he's adjusting to it?

As I happen to know you are a lovely person, and not at all scary, that wouldn't be a reason for him peeing :)

Thank you for the replies.

Yes, Omi, he's now living next to Loki, whereas previously he was above him in the 3 tier hutch. Maybe being able to see Loki is contributing to the territory marking, if that's the case. I could perhaps prevent them seeing each other (they currently share the shed with a divide in between) if that would help.

I'm not too worried about the weeing as he's quite unreliable in general. It just seemed odd when was doing it and me thinking it was me.

No he's not neutered yet and I stopped the veg prior to cutting back and then stopping the pellets. We were still giving him some muesli at that point as we hadn't fully transitioned over. No grass or anything yet that could be the cause.

Your right, I don't think it's the medication as I'm pretty sure it's been happening prior to that, in fact, since we got him or just after.

He's a good weight and does eat well. So should I not be too concerned as yet? I'll get some if those fibre first sticks to try MM x

Yes, Omi, he's now living next to Loki, whereas previously he was above him in the 3 tier hutch. Maybe being able to see Loki is contributing to the territory marking, if that's the case. I could perhaps prevent them seeing each other (they currently share the shed with a divide in between) if that would help.

I'm not too worried about the weeing as he's quite unreliable in general. It just seemed odd when was doing it and me thinking it was me.

No he's not neutered yet and I stopped the veg prior to cutting back and then stopping the pellets. We were still giving him some muesli at that point as we hadn't fully transitioned over. No grass or anything yet that could be the cause.

Your right, I don't think it's the medication as I'm pretty sure it's been happening prior to that, in fact, since we got him or just after.

He's a good weight and does eat well. So should I not be too concerned as yet? I'll get some if those fibre first sticks to try MM x

If Thor is still eating well, is maintaining his weight and the vet is not concerned, then I too would not be too concerned. It's obviously something to keep an eye on and my guess is that it's possibly all just part of him settling down, plus the fact that he's not yet neutered and living in close proximity to other entire rabbits. It's also possible that he was behaving in a similar way when at his previous home.

After he is neutered I would make sure that everything has settled down before attempting bonding.

He's had a lot of changes recently, and him and Loki were separated by Skye in the hutch as well (Thor was top, Skye middle and Loki bottom). When we had them here we put a piece of hardboard between the two boys as Loki was too interested in Thor, I felt. And Thor used the litter tray and number of other places to wee, but it was just 24hrs so no hope of any definite behaviour patterns! There's a few changes to come so, yes, I wouldn't worry too much now. :)

Can't really offer any advice except to say I would make sure you are on top of the mites and happy with his poohs before going ahead with neutering. I am sure you've already considered this but thought I would mention it. Good luck with him. xx

No, I don't think you should be overly concerned. However, as he has mites, it's a sign that his immune system is depleted in some way. That could be making him feel 'under the weather' and especially with the colder times coming on. Perhaps if you are cutting out a food group (which contains vitamins) then think about adding in a sprinkling of echinacea onto food?

Some rabbits seem to be indifferent, or into themselves, but they can actually be quite sensitive. Change does affect rabbits differently, even good change.

How's he managing without pellets - does he seem to be hungry?

Thanks everyone.

I'm thinking that KK, that it might be worth preventing them from seeing each other in case he doesn't like it.
Thanks Tonibun, I agree that it's important to get his mites sorted and him settled first. I don't have anything booked neutering wise yet.

I think I might still have some echinacea from Darwin, I assume it keeps well. I really don't like cutting out the pellets and veg as he was really enjoying both and actually doing so hasn't stopped it happening as yet either. I think he is hungry yes, because when I go out with Loki's, Thor definitely reacts and I've seen him go to his bowl. I feel quite mean actually. I'm providing loads of hay, but should I be doing more? x

Just to update.

Thor's doing much better, the majority of his poo is normal and I only find the odd small squishy pile. I'm thinking it could be a territorial thing as it's always in the same place, nearest to where Loki is.

I decided to stop reducing his Rabbit Royale (that he arrived with) and actually increase it back up. His digestion seems much more settled now on this than when I tried to change things. I might try changing him again in the future, but for now if he's happy on that, then I won't rush to change things again x

Just to update.

Thor's doing much better, the majority of his poo is normal and I only find the odd small squishy pile. I'm thinking it could be a territorial thing as it's always in the same place, nearest to where Loki is.

I decided to stop reducing his Rabbit Royale (that he arrived with) and actually increase it back up. His digestion seems much more settled now on this than when I tried to change things. I might try changing him again in the future, but for now if he's happy on that, then I won't rush to change things again x

Sounds like you've ironed that one out for the time being :thumb:

Thought I'd update to say that Thor is now eating Science Selective like the others and is also able to enjoy a selection of vegetables with no squishy poo. In fact they are now perfectly formed :)

We just took it extra slow, continued with the Rabbit Royale he was used to until he was more settled and then slowly tried again.

He's generally a much happier boy, he gets excited and starts jumping up when food comes. He's still pooing everywhere except the litter tray (despite having three :lol:) but wees now generally make it in x

Thanks Omi, probably not that interesting, but I'm delighted :lol: Plus if it inspires anyone to persevere if it doesn't work at first :)

I really must do a proper update for all three of them, I'll try and make it my mission during half term x

Back