• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diagnosing uterine cancer

Trufflesmum

Young Bun
At last I have had Nala spayed (4th time of trying) and we've just brought her home and she seems to be doing well - eating and pooping, however I have had some unsettling news. The vet was concerned about the look of her uterus that was removed. It looked "bruised and abnormally thickened". The vet suggested that they send a sample away for histopathology. Nala's not yet one. Obviously one's mind always goes to the worse possible scenario. What I wanted to ask, if the test results come back positive and the uterus had cancer, how do they diagnose whether the cancer has spread? I'm not sure if the histology results will allay any of my anxiety. Any advice or articles I could read? Many thanks.

At last I have had Nala spayed (4th time of trying) and we've just brought her home and she seems to be doing well - eating and pooping, however I have had some unsettling news. The vet was concerned about the look of her uterus that was removed. It looked "bruised and abnormally thickened". The vet suggested that they send a sample away for histopathology. Nala's not yet one. Obviously one's mind always goes to the worse possible scenario. What I wanted to ask, if the test results come back positive and the uterus had cancer, how do they diagnose whether the cancer has spread? I'm not sure if the histology results will allay any of my anxiety. Any advice or articles I could read? Many thanks.

There are other possible causes for the uterine tissue abnormalities you describe, Apart from Uterine Cancer. If the histopathology result was to indicate a malignancy then it is very possible that the cancer would still be confined to the Uterus, given that Nala is so young. So the ovariohysterectomy would solve the problem.

UC usually spreads to the lungs so a chest Xray may have been useful for the Vet to have taken before waking Nala up from her spay. If you did opt to have the histopathology done and it was to be a malignancy then personally I would not want to rush in to putting Nala through another GA to get a chest Xray, it may provide some additional information but it would not offer any further treatment options should any abnormalities indicative of metastatic disease be seen. But of course the decision about further diagnostics in the hopefully very unlikely event of a poor outcome from the histopathology report would be one for you and your Vet to make.

I think Nala's youth is on her side, whilst it is not 100% impossible for a very young Doe to have UC it is far less likely than if she were a few years older.

A bit more information here

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/UterineAdenocarcinomaRabbit.htm

Hi there :wave:

It's worrying, but please try not to be so anxious until you've got the full results.

It's unlikely to be cancer in one so young, and even if it is, extremely unlikely that it's spread beyond the uterus:

http://sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/uterine_cancer_in_rabbits.pdf

The greatest incidence is in females over the age of three, and then estimated to be 60%.

An overgrowth of cells may be associated with other benign conditions as well:

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/reproductive/c_rb_uterine_adenocarcinoma

I hope the news is good for Nala. When will you get the results? x

Hi Mighty Max and thanks for the message. After a lot of deliberation we've decided not to have any histology tests. I've spoken to a couple of veterinary nurses and as I suspected the test wouldn't tell us if cancer had spread. I know the test could also tell us the results were clear, but if they were not, I think it would make me so (too) anxious about her health and anyway nothing more could be done. I was a bit disappointed with my vet who could have given me a ring, but didn't, so we missed the opportunity to get an x-ray done, but Nala's recuperating well and I think we'll watch and wait for a few months and see how she gets on. If she makes steady progress then I think it will be safe to assume there's no sinister disease process going on and we can then think about getting her a husbun.

Hi Mighty Max and thanks for the message. After a lot of deliberation we've decided not to have any histology tests. I've spoken to a couple of veterinary nurses and as I suspected the test wouldn't tell us if cancer had spread. I know the test could also tell us the results were clear, but if they were not, I think it would make me so (too) anxious about her health and anyway nothing more could be done. I was a bit disappointed with my vet who could have given me a ring, but didn't, so we missed the opportunity to get an x-ray done, but Nala's recuperating well and I think we'll watch and wait for a few months and see how she gets on. If she makes steady progress then I think it will be safe to assume there's no sinister disease process going on and we can then think about getting her a husbun.

I hope that she will make a full recovery and remain well :)

You're very welcome Trufflesmum :)

I agree with your way forward. I think you're very wise in your decision, and I hope Nala makes a full recovery :)

Back