• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Uterine cancer in does

Ponymad21

Warren Scout
If a doe has been bred from does it lower her risk for uterine cancer?

I've not got a doe, just curious as it does in ferrets

I don't think you can compare rabbits and ferrets from this point of view. Rabbits are induced ovulators, i.e. they ovulate in response to mating. Ferrets come into season and remain in season until they are mated (or artificially brought out of season by hormones etc.), so if they are not mated or brought out of it, they are subjected to lengthy periods of extremely high levels of oestrogen. I don't know for sure, but I suspect this is why it may be true in ferrets - but it's definitely not the same in rabbits :)

I don't think you can compare rabbits and ferrets from this point of view. Rabbits are induced ovulators, i.e. they ovulate in response to mating. Ferrets come into season and remain in season until they are mated (or artificially brought out of season by hormones etc.), so if they are not mated or brought out of it, they are subjected to lengthy periods of extremely high levels of oestrogen. I don't know for sure, but I suspect this is why it may be true in ferrets - but it's definitely not the same in rabbits :)

Pretty much spot on Santa :)

We can add in that spaying will help with the risk of uterine cancer.
In ferrets, spaying also helps with the uterine cancer risk but it can increase the risk of adrenal disease, especially if neutered before a first season. I think this adds to how different the two species are.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I didn't even think of that daphnephoebe and Santa!

Interesting about the spaying in ferrets and increased risk of adrenal disease!

I didn't even think of that daphnephoebe and Santa!

Interesting about the spaying in ferrets and increased risk of adrenal disease!
All my ferrets were spayed and castrated (that's 6 in total). Many before a first season and I never had them develop adrenal disease however there are papers that support the claim of increased chance of it developing.
They try to get you to use the Jill jab, or even better a vasectomised hob to bring the jills out of season as this isn't linked to adrenal disease in later life however I didn't have either of those easily available to me so we went for neutering as it was the best choice for me.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back