• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dog cages

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
I know these have been mentioned on here quite a few times but im not thinking about getting one for my fluffball. Do those who have them use straw/hay or only vetbed in them? If you use straw/shavings etc. how do u stop it all coming out the bars as i see they dont have high sides to the base tray?
Also is it better to have one with metal tray or plastic tray?
What size is best?.. i dont want it tooo big but want my bunny to have more room to move around it when im out and he's in it. He is a small rabbit, 3lbs in weight if that gives u an idea.
any other advice greatly received. I will probably get it from ebay as there is lots there and much cheaper than shops.
Thanks for any help.
Chris

I have a dog crate.

I'm glad i posted up the dimensions, BEFORE purchase as they are enormous so i ended up buying one a bit smaller than first intended. mine is 42in by 30ish costing circ £45 inc del. I'll pm you the link.

i've just got newspaper on the bottom of mine but we need something else for sure. he moves the paper out the way and then slips on the base. its quite a noisy metal base as well. especially when he tries to burrow!hay does come out of the crate but i was also advised to build up the sides. i'm not too worried at the moment as i'm using a dustpan and brush to clear up. you can build up the sides using cardboard and those plastic ties - some buns chew the ties some don't.

metal/plastic - don't know. the metal seems fine but this is for use indoors - where it's nice and warm. don't know if it makes much difference

size? no idea as everywhere you read - bigger is best. i suppose it's down to the size room you have. AND i guess if ever there's a possibility of considering another bun then buying a bigger one would be best use of money.

hope this info helps

julie

here's a pic of Jack (first day, first time in cage - so it's nice and tidy! I've changed a lot of it since then; a week ago!) - this should give you some idea of size - he's about the size of an adult dwarf lop.

jack061004009.jpg

and here's a more realistic picture! you can see the depth of the metal bottom - not really deep enough for shavings.

071004jack010.jpg

oh right thanks. Thats the size i was thinking about. Will have to measure the space he has now and check it fits first.
Great pics thanks.
Paper no good for him as he just shreds it so will have to think about that.
Chris

Hi there, for those using dog crates you could always try to find a product called correx, its used by signmakers and is corrugated plastic basically. You could try your local shops and see if they will get you a plain sheet and cut to the size needed. This can be cut so it goes up the side and so no shaving fall out of either side if you use them. http://www.cavycages.com/howto.htm That link will show you what Im talking about, if you scroll down to the middle ish. I am contemplating doing this with some of my bunny beds as they make quite a mess at times. Only down side I can see is them nibbling away at the sides.

Angela

If you have any spare laminate flooring cut up some peices to size and where the tray is at the sides slot peices of the flooring down there that will stop any mess spiling out.

Do those who have them use straw/hay or only vetbed in them?

I use Shredded newspaper in mine. Mainly because I keep an Angora in there with the bonded trio. Its also easier to pick off the floor then shavings/straw.

I use willow hay baskets to put hay in so it doesn’t go all over the place.

If you use straw/shavings etc. how do u stop it all coming out the bars as i see they dont have high sides to the base tray?

We bought some hardboard from BBQ and cut it to fit around the tray. It’s about a foot high so the bedding doesn’t come over the sides. It still does occasionally but only when there having a mad moment!

Also is it better to have one with metal tray or plastic tray?

I've got a plastic tray. I don’t really know what would be best! I imagine plastic would be easier to clean and be a bit warmer then metal.

What size is best?.. i dont want it tooo big but want my bunny to have more room to move around it when im out and he's in it. He is a small rabbit, 3lbs in weight if that gives u an idea

Well I keep a bonded trio in a 4ftx3ftx3ft crate. They've got a large shelf n there and they also get let out in the evenings. They are big crates so I would say get a cage as big as you cant fit in your room.

Louise

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to look into them and see what i can fix together :D
Chris

Back