• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will spraying ever stop?

elaine84

Warren Scout
I adopted a male rabbit who was neutered 9 months ago when he was about 1.5 years old, and then bonded him with a spayed girl bun and they've been together for 8 months. I noticed he sprayed her a bit while bonding, I'm unsure if he stopped doing it once bonded as I wasn't looking for it. (I don't think he sprayed before I got the female).
I've now bonded them with another neutered male and spayed female pair, so I have a bunny quad. They've been together 2 months. None of the others spray, but my original male is still spraying loads. Will it ever stop? He flicks it on the others and does little trails of urine on the carpet. The others are so good and I want them to be able to come in the living room but I'm forever cleaning dotted orange lines off the carpet because of this one male :(
Are there any ways to stop him doing it? It's really stressing me out.

Has he definitely been neutered?

Hi yes he definitely has - I was fostering him for a rescue and they neutered him as soon as he came in, and I was responsible for his aftercare. (Also I failed at fostering and kept him lol)

I adopted a male rabbit who was neutered 9 months ago when he was about 1.5 years old, and then bonded him with a spayed girl bun and they've been together for 8 months. I noticed he sprayed her a bit while bonding, I'm unsure if he stopped doing it once bonded as I wasn't looking for it. (I don't think he sprayed before I got the female).
I've now bonded them with another neutered male and spayed female pair, so I have a bunny quad. They've been together 2 months. None of the others spray, but my original male is still spraying loads. Will it ever stop? He flicks it on the others and does little trails of urine on the carpet. The others are so good and I want them to be able to come in the living room but I'm forever cleaning dotted orange lines off the carpet because of this one male :(
Are there any ways to stop him doing it? It's really stressing me out.

Nice to hear from you again Elaine :)

Yes I have found males to do this sometimes, even once bonded. In one pairing the male continued for quite a while to spray his partner, my walls, skirting board, carpet :roll: Lots of carpet shampoo got used!

It will eventually settle down. I guess the quad has now meant that he has to reassert himself above the others and there's not a lot you can do apart from wait till it settles.

On the plus side, what a wonderful thing you did bonding a quad - well done you! :D

Last edited:
Nic to hear from you again Elaine :)

Yes I have found males to do this sometimes, even once bonded. In one pairing the male continued for quite a while to spray his partner, my walls, skirting board, carpet :roll: Lots of carpet shampoo got used!

It will eventually settle down. I guess the quad has now meant that he has to reassert himself above the others and there's not a lot you can do apart from wait till it settles.

On the plus side, what a wonderful thing you did bonding a quad - well done you! :D

Thank you! I can't believe I went from 'can't cope with the loss of another bun so never getting buns again' to 'I have 4' lol. Fostering is so hard when it's time to rehome them! So they're all staying with us now :) Still miss Billy so much.
Did the spraying settle down with yours then? It's so frustrating, they'd be perfectly well behaved if it weren't for that :(

Thank you! I can't believe I went from 'can't cope with the loss of another bun so never getting buns again' to 'I have 4' lol. Fostering is so hard when it's time to rehome them! So they're all staying with us now :) Still miss Billy so much.
Did the spraying settle down with yours then? It's so frustrating, they'd be perfectly well behaved if it weren't for that :(

Yes it did, though I can't remember how long it took. I only remember following him around with a damp cloth and the carpet shampoo. I managed to salvage my cream carpets :)

Haha that's the same as me! Cream carpets, fairly new as well. Plus I don't really like the smell of the carpet shampoo but it's all I can smell now. Have you tried white vinegar? I need to try that...

Haha that's the same as me! Cream carpets, fairly new as well. Plus I don't really like the smell of the carpet shampoo but it's all I can smell now. Have you tried white vinegar? I need to try that...

Yes my carpets were new too :roll:

I didn't know about white vinegar at the time. Though I'm not sure I would want the whole house to smell like a chippy :lol:

Let me know if it works on cream carpets ..

Back