• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meadow hay recommendations?

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hello other buns,

Please can you recommend a tasty meadow hay for Pip and I to try?

Mum was buying us delicious Timothy hay which we both loved, but she kept getting bad reactions to the hay, so she said we can't have it anymore!!!!!

I know,,, it's not really good enough, and we have thumped and sulked, but she's not giving in!!!!

We currently have Pure Pastures, which we quite like, but it's not as long stranded and we just pick at it....

Yours sincerely

Archie

(Ps you can clearly see mum is trying to starve us and we have to hold onto the treat box with our paws or she takes it away!!!!!!)
96834e537cc334e6989000e19a08dc69.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hello other buns,

Please can you recommend a tasty meadow hay for Pip and I to try?

Mum was buying us delicious Timothy hay which we both loved, but she kept getting bad reactions to the hay, so she said we can't have it anymore!!!!!

I know,,, it's not really good enough, and we have thumped and sulked, but she's not giving in!!!!

We currently have Pure Pastures, which we quite like, but it's not as long stranded and we just pick at it....

Yours sincerely

Archie

(Ps you can clearly see mum is trying to starve us and we have to hold onto the treat box with our paws or she takes it away!!!!!!)
96834e537cc334e6989000e19a08dc69.jpg

****SWOON****

My Mum gives us this:

http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/pets/natures-touch-wild-hay-1kg

I don't know if it's long stranded, but we like it :D

Have you tried Ings hay from hayandstraw.co.UK?
Alternatively you could try your local equine supplier? They are likely to be much cheaper if you pick it up yourself

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Have you tried Ings hay from hayandstraw.co.UK?
Alternatively you could try your local equine supplier? They are likely to be much cheaper if you pick it up yourself

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
I haven't tried the ings hay. Does it have seed heads on?

I get dust free hay from the website of the same name. It's good quality stuff and they do a soft one and a stalky.

I buy bales of hay from the horse feed place, its great quality, long strands and very cheap. Top tip - buy a bale bag to put it in or an old duvet cover to save the car boot from being covered in it :lol: my rabbits have always preferred it over more expensive pet shop and posh hay.

Nature's Own Pets sell Meadow hay which is very soft. There are usually some longer strands in there. It works out at 5 large packs for £20 delivered.
I also feed Ings hay, but the quality varies a lot and sometimes there are tonnes of weeds in there.

I buy bales of hay from the horse feed place, its great quality, long strands and very cheap. Top tip - buy a bale bag to put it in or an old duvet cover to save the car boot from being covered in it [emoji38] my rabbits have always preferred it over more expensive pet shop and posh hay.
Does it generally have seed heads on? I'm not sure I have room for a bale of hay though :-(

Does it generally have seed heads on? I'm not sure I have room for a bale of hay though :-(

Yes, there will be some seed heads in there normally. Some people on here keep their baled hay in a wheely bin or some other container outside. I keep mine in a shed, and just bring in enough for feeding Frosty for a few days, I put it in a nice shopping bag and hang it on a coat hook in his room. My bales dont last long though because the goats eat an awful lot of it!

Is it the seed heads you're allergic to?
I'm not sure whether it's the seed heads or Timothy hay as a type of hay.

But I think it's more likely the Timothy hay and because it was so fresh.

I used to give them oxbow Timothy which made me a bit sniffly, but was manageable.

I'm not sure whether it's the seed heads or Timothy hay as a type of hay.

But I think it's more likely the Timothy hay and because it was so fresh.

I used to give them oxbow Timothy which made me a bit sniffly, but was manageable.

The Timothy I get from Timothyhay.co.uk is remarkably undusty. Have you tried that one?
The buns love it too x

The Timothy I get from Timothyhay.co.uk is remarkably undusty. Have you tried that one?
The buns love it too x
That's the hay that I had. It's not dusty, and the buns love it, but it's turned me into a bright red itchy human. :-(

The buns love it too x
I've just bought them a fancy meadow hay made by pure pastures.

It has rose petals and plantain in.

They love plantain but haven't had rose petals for a long time do I need to introduce it slowly?

Also they had the vhd2 jabs, and bunny pedicures this morning and were very brave. (Although the did floof fur everywhere and try to climb onto my shoulder)

So not sure if I need to wait before trying something new as they had a stressful morning????

Sorry being a worried bunny mummy x

I got the timothy hay from timothyhay.co.uk as every bunny seems to like it but Doughnut didn't get on with it, she started to become ill again. She has a funny digestion so I went back to cheap and cheerful wilko. I order it online and collect it. It's the only timothy hay that she can eat and that's her preference. I also get her the nature meadow hay with rose petals in.

There's a look many different hays. Might just have to do some hay sampling to see if they like it.

Does anyone feed oat hay?

Back