• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for newly single bun

booboobunny

Warren Scout
I'm just looking for a bit of advice on what to do for my male bun Albie, whose partner Florence died last night. I bonded them myself about two years ago and they really loved each other, so it's been sad today seeing him sitting on his own in their favourite corner of the run.
So I'm unsure what is best for him now - we don't know why Flo died (had a post mortem but showed nothing obvious, so lab tests being done), but both of them have had problems with stasis over the past two winters, so I'm quite worried about Albie now as the weather is turning colder and he is alone now.

His behaviour at the moment is pretty much the same as normal - he's still eating like a pig and hopping around, so he seems to be OK, but obviously I want to eventually get him a partner, I'm just not sure when it is right to do that? I know that I personally don't want to rush and get another rabbit, but I also want to do what is best for Albie (Also won't pursue getting him a friend until the lab tests from Flo are back to rule out anything contagious).

He lives in a big run on the grass in the garden, but I have a large hutch in a shed which he and Florence usually stay in over night in winter (advised by vet, as they've had gut problems each winter, to make sure they are kept out of the worst of the cold and wind etc overnight) and then moved to the run during the day (there is also a hutch attached to the run). I think I will start putting him in the shed overnight from tonight as he's on his own and it's started to get colder - do you think this is a good idea for him?

I think I just don't know what I'm meant to do now, I had expected to have them together for many more years so I feel quite unprepared for how to make sure Albie is OK, especially as it's getting colder and his health history over winter isn't very good.
Any guidance is appreciated!

It's always sad when a bunny loses their friend but this does tend to happen now and then. I would definitely put your boy in the shed now at nights with lots of hay for warmth as well as something to munch on through the night. Do you know why he gets tummy problems, maybe it's something a different diet would help? As he is still young I would definitely think of getting him another friend, once you find out why your female died. Were they vaccinated?

Not sure why he gets tummy problems - I have other rabbits and they are usually fine, it's always been Flo and Albie who have had issues.
I've spent extra time with him today and tucked him away in the shed for the night now so I'll continue to do that.

They had one set of vaccinations a couple of months ago and all of my rabbits are due the 2nd vaccination this week, so I really hope it's not a contagious thing

Back