• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 5 month buck to 10 week old female

Chantelle1708

Young Bun
Hi all,

So the time has come where I can finally bond a new bun with my 5 month old buck however; the bun i am looking at is a 10 week old female. Has anyone had any experience of bonding different ages? Is there much of a difference in a nearly 3 month and 5 month old rabbit in terms of behaviour?? He is neutered.

My boy is a free range house bun and doesn't have a cage any more so how would this work? Would I immediately introduce them or would I leave the baby in the cage for a few days where he can see and sniff her before letting them meet? I have read about neutral territory but like I said, he has the full house so there is no neutral place for me to do that.

Bucks are not as territorial as females so you might not have any problems in that respect. I think the only way you are going to find out is to just let her free say in one room to start with, otherwise she might be a bit overwhelmed with too much space. At least she will have lots of space to run away. I am not sure if he will chase her as she is still a baby. He could attack her in which case you will have to wait until she is a bit older. It all depends on how easy he is and how friendly he acts towards her. Good luck.

My bridge buns were similar.Two year old neutered buck being introduced to a baby female 9 weeks.Cleo was subservient from the start and lowered her head to him,he immediately started to groom her.He did chase and hump a bit but she was fast and could just run away.He (Rio) showed no aggression at all,they became loved up cuddle buns,he was a mixed breed tri colour lop,she was an otter blue mini lop.Miss them both.

Back