• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Desperate for answers

Okay where to begin? I have an 8 year old Dutch rabbit female spayed. Who is the absolute love of my life. For the first time about a week and a half ago she went into gi stasis. Ended up her teeth needed to be trimmed, she had an ulcer in her mouth from her teeth. So metacam, meto (gi mobility), and septra were given. After 3 visits to the vet telling me she’ll get better because she was trying to eat and dropping food out of her mouth. I demanded critical care and for her pain med to be increased. After not having any idea what to do with the fact she was still in pain, I took her two a different vet. They had to knock her out again for the 2nd time in a week in two days to trim another tooth that the other vet apparently missed, which of course had caused a second ulcer. So now it has been 2 weeks since the first trim... she has been pooping normal obviously not as much as usual, she has lost a bit of weight. Before first trim she showed no sign of pain and ate well. Since trim she is grinding teeth and not eating anything or attempting to and deciding not to. If she does chew some kale or banana it takes her a long time... so there’s much more little details to this that I don’t think are important but if you have any more questions please ask... my main question at this point is how long do bunny mouth ulcer’s usually affect them? It’s been 2 weeks on metacam and she’s still in pain. I’ve asked different vets and several people and they tell me usually in a few hours or days. But it has been almost 2 weeks since the first trim and 1 day since the second. . She’s acting pretty much normal except for the tooth grinding and maybe a little more tired which I understand. But, again my main concern is how long will she be in pain? I feel like time is dragging and I see no end to this. Is this normal for ulcers? Should I keep harassing both vets? I dont know what to do.
Thank you so much, sorry for the rambling I’ve been beside myself over this
Anissa

Okay where to begin? I have an 8 year old Dutch rabbit female spayed. Who is the absolute love of my life. For the first time about a week and a half ago she went into gi stasis. Ended up her teeth needed to be trimmed, she had an ulcer in her mouth from her teeth. So metacam, meto (gi mobility), and septra were given. After 3 visits to the vet telling me she’ll get better because she was trying to eat and dropping food out of her mouth. I demanded critical care and for her pain med to be increased. After not having any idea what to do with the fact she was still in pain, I took her two a different vet. They had to knock her out again for the 2nd time in a week in two days to trim another tooth that the other vet apparently missed, which of course had caused a second ulcer. So now it has been 2 weeks since the first trim... she has been pooping normal obviously not as much as usual, she has lost a bit of weight. Before first trim she showed no sign of pain and ate well. Since trim she is grinding teeth and not eating anything or attempting to and deciding not to. If she does chew some kale or banana it takes her a long time... so there’s much more little details to this that I don’t think are important but if you have any more questions please ask... my main question at this point is how long do bunny mouth ulcer’s usually affect them? It’s been 2 weeks on metacam and she’s still in pain. I’ve asked different vets and several people and they tell me usually in a few hours or days. But it has been almost 2 weeks since the first trim and 1 day since the second. . She’s acting pretty much normal except for the tooth grinding and maybe a little more tired which I understand. But, again my main concern is how long will she be in pain? I feel like time is dragging and I see no end to this. Is this normal for ulcers? Should I keep harassing both vets? I dont know what to do.
Thank you so much, sorry for the rambling I’ve been beside myself over this
Anissa

Hi Anissa and welcome to the forum :wave:

What's the name of your lovely rabbit?

I would suggest that she needs antibiotics to help with the (possible) infection caused by two mouth ulcerations.
Are you still giving daily Metacam? This will help with calming inflammation as well as pain :)

You are not rambling, you love your bunny and want what's best.

I guess you are now finding out which vet is good and which to avoid?

Please PM if I can help further :)

Back