• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I’ve messed up...Update: EC flair up

Struggling today :cry:

I’ve just spent the last 30 minutes cleaning up Chester’s soiled back end. It seems he can’t turn round any more to eat his caecotrophes.

He just looks so sad - lying in his litter tray and not really moving much. I’m going to take him to the vets for advice on his management this week but I can’t help but think this is the beginning of the end.

Pointless post really. Just needed to get it off my chest.

I am sorry to hear that Chester is struggling so much now :cry:

Did the Vet suggest any additional treatment to try to keep him as mobile as possible. In particular I am thinking of Physiotherapy, Acupuncture and/or Cold Laser Therapy

http://www.helpinghandsvetphysio.co.uk/rabbits/

My Vet offers both Acupuncture and Laser therapy

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/acupuncture/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

I am sorry to hear that Chester is struggling so much now :cry:

Did the Vet suggest any additional treatment to try to keep him as mobile as possible. In particular I am thinking of Physiotherapy, Acupuncture and/or Cold Laser Therapy

http://www.helpinghandsvetphysio.co.uk/rabbits/

My Vet offers both Acupuncture and Laser therapy

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/acupuncture/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

It’s not something she has mentioned but I will definitely ask about it. I’m willing to try anything that might help!

I’ve just spent the last 30 minutes cleaning up Chester’s soiled back end. It seems he can’t turn round any more to eat his caecotrophes.

He just looks so sad - lying in his litter tray and not really moving much. I’m going to take him to the vets for advice on his management this week but I can’t help but think this is the beginning of the end.

I'm really sorry to hear this :(

I hope you manage to get some good advice from the vet. It's really hard coping with all of this, and I know many members on here will be able to empathise with you, including myself.

We are always here to listen xx

It’s not something she has mentioned but I will definitely ask about it. I’m willing to try anything that might help!

Trying to limit the amount of muscle wastage can help retain some mobility. The more muscle wastage that occurs the weaker the effected area becomes x

I have found an anabolic steroid injection to be very helpful, as this helps muscle wastage (as with body builders!). It's not the same as a corticosteroid and doesn't have the nasty side effects. I found it helpful in getting a rabbit going again, and interested in life, and able to move better :)

The other thing a vet often gives is a vitamin B injection. Again, this stimulates appetite and often makes them feel better.

I have no advice, but I'm really sorry and sad to read this :( Sending lots of hugs to you and vibes for Chester.

So today I made the heartbreaking decision to put Chester to sleep. I am distraught.

Chester was my first bunny and he had such a huge personality. I knew so little about rabbits before getting him and over the years of owning him he has taken me on such a wonderful journey of discovery. I have found a passion and a love for rabbits the I didn’t know I had. He has helped me through my depression by being there for cuddles, strokes and nose rubs whenever I needed them. He even earned himself the title of ‘therapy bunny’

I am going to have an enormous Chester sized hole left in my heart after today. I wish I could have done more for him,

So today I made the heartbreaking decision to put Chester to sleep. I am distraught.

Chester was my first bunny and he had such a huge personality. I knew so little about rabbits before getting him and over the years of owning him he has taken me on such a wonderful journey of discovery. I have found a passion and a love for rabbits the I didn’t know I had. He has helped me through my depression by being there for cuddles, strokes and nose rubs whenever I needed them. He even earned himself the title of ‘therapy bunny’

I am going to have an enormous Chester sized hole left in my heart after today. I wish I could have done more for him,

I am so very sorry to read this :(

I am very sad to read this :cry: It is a devastating decision to have to make. Sending you lots of hugs.

I'm sorry, Chester sounded like a fine bunny & one that was very much loved. Sweet dreams Chester xx

I am so very sorry for your loss :cry:You did absolutely everything possible for Chester. Sometimes in the end the only thing we can do for a much loved Rabbit is to let them go :cry: It's the last act of love and compassion we can give to our special friend.

RIP Chester x

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Chester sounded a very special bunny. Binky free little one xxxx

I'm very sorry to read this update, sometimes there is no other option
For such little animals they do leave a huge hole when we have to let them go

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Reading this post has made me so very sad and even more appreciative of your advice about my Millie. You are obviously a very special person with a great big heart.

I am so sorry that you lost Chester and my heart goes out to you.

Binky free Chester in the knowledge that you were a very loved little soul xxx

Back