• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weight gain, stumped

Loopdaloop

New Kit
Hey.

Penelope's basic background:

So, I have a 3-year-old rabbit. She's a Netherlands dwarf and has been spayed.
I take her to the vets every couple/few months when her nails begin to get too long. Whilst there she also has a health check. I've been told she is overweight by 2kilo (a lot, I know). They advised me to stop giving her lettuce, and cucumber due to it bloating her out. So, I followed their advice, and cut it out. I figured she'd lose some of the weight after over a month without it. Alas, she has gained weight, again. I stopped giving her treats, or anything she can snack as a extension to her hay.

Eating habits:

So, down to what she is currently eating.
- Supreme Science Vetcare Plus Urinary Tract Health Formula For Rabbits (She had Urinary sludge when she was younger, so I was advised to switch to this, from normal pellets)
Original, she had the average serving the box advised. Then I was told, she was putting weight on, so I cut her down to 3 quarters of a stick, which is split over three different times of the day. She has one-quarter of a stick in the morning for breakfast, a quarter in the evening for her second meal, and then before bed. A quarter of a stick is about equivilent to an index finger tip size.

-Grass
She has fresh with her evening meal

-Brocolli stem
She has a small sized piece of broccoli stem with her evening meal. Again this is about the size of a fingertip.

So, her diet to sum up:

Morning: a quarter of her stick portion and, hay.

Evening: Broccoli stem, quarter stick portion, fresh grass and, hay.

Before bed: Quarter stick portion and, hay.

So, apart from her evening meal, her main source of food is Timothy meadow hay. I pretty much just put a pile equivalent to her size on the floor, and then check every so often to see if she needs more.

She is an indoor bun. She has a cage, but it is left open. She has three different rooms to hop between, with access at all times.

The vet ha snow advised that I cut her stick portions down. If I do that, she'd pretty much have none. I worry that if I take them out completely, that her sludge condition would come back, or worse.
I'm really not sure what else I can do to help get her weight down. So, any advice would help. I'm completely stumped on why she is gaining more weight when I'm taking away/lowering her food.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Maybe make her work a bit more for her food. Hay can be placed higher up so she has to stretch up for it, or stuff a toilet roll tube so she has to work to get it out. That way, she will use up more calories getting her food, and it will take her a bit longer to eat it so she may eat a little less and slowly lose a bit of weight without compromising her health.

Does she look overweight? I have found it can take around 3 months to get an overweight rabbit down to a decent weight.

Maybe make her work a bit more for her food. Hay can be placed higher up so she has to stretch up for it, or stuff a toilet roll tube so she has to work to get it out. That way, she will use up more calories getting her food, and it will take her a bit longer to eat it so she may eat a little less and slowly lose a bit of weight without compromising her health.

I used to be o the toilet roll tube thing, when she was a baby. I completely forgot about that. Good idea. I'll try and find a way to get her more active with her eating.

Does she look overweight? I have found it can take around 3 months to get an overweight rabbit down to a decent weight.

She doesn't look over weight when she's hopping around. I can see it when she loafs tho, she looks quite large then. I tried to get her to chase after a small ball i'd rolled, she wasn't impressed.

Back