• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have I chickened out..? (bonding)

Graciee

Staff member
Just tried bonding male and female, both neutered more than 6 weeks for both (boy even longer than that) did neutral place, and stuff etc etc had the gardening gloves on thankfully... At first there was sniffing and then ignoring, then a bit of chasing but seemed to get resolved. Then there was thumping from the boy, then the girls tail went up then circling began and there was so much fur everywhere I separated them.. The boy went for me when I did this then got really territorial in the pen. No cuts or scratches on either of them, but missing fur... I've put them back in their own cages to chill out... But should I try again? Or are there people who can bond bunnies who know what they're doing? Haha

My concern is the two buns are both dominant - used to just be the female but after the boys operation he had a few issues and he's been very aggressive ever since even to me - just looking for some advice really wondering if this is a bit beyond me.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

What issues have there been with the boy?
Did his surgery go to plan etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

He had the op - But afterwards was really spaced out and frightened - didn't know who I was anymore - was like it for days wouldn't eat or drink etc (kept him going with cc and water) took him to the vets and he looked at him and said that he's experienced the same thing with his own cat, and a clients dog. Rare reaction to the painkiller they use - and that he was basically have a really bad trip... poor little guy :( he was like it for 2 weeks more (I continued to feed etc) then he started eating on his own and drinking but used to lunge at me and bite. I'm sure he was scared, but he never looked timid - just very aggressive. He's improved lots and trusts me more and more, but he still really bites me. He's not the same as before the operation - he was docile and sweet before now I'm the only person that will go near him, because he doesn't just nip, he really goes for you :( - I thought it might do him some good to have a friend - the other bunny is his sister and they used to live together before they had to be separated due to her having knee surgery (another nightmare in itself haha) when they lived together though she was always the dominant one. He seems to love laying up against my legs all stretched out and I was hoping that if I could get them back together he wouldn't be so lonely. Do you think he'll be able to bond with another bunny?

I think he'll be able to bond with a bit of time.

If you're nervous doing it yourself you could always contact local rabbit rescues and see if they will offer a bonding service.
This way you won't worry about if you've separated too soon etc. It sounds like they had a scuffle and just needed to be physically stopped before allowing to interact again, bit it's difficult to say without seeing them.

Have you discussed with your vet the possibility of any brain damage?

He had the op - But afterwards was really spaced out and frightened - didn't know who I was anymore - was like it for days wouldn't eat or drink etc (kept him going with cc and water) took him to the vets and he looked at him and said that he's experienced the same thing with his own cat, and a clients dog. Rare reaction to the painkiller they use - and that he was basically have a really bad trip... poor little guy :( he was like it for 2 weeks more (I continued to feed etc) then he started eating on his own and drinking but used to lunge at me and bite. I'm sure he was scared, but he never looked timid - just very aggressive. He's improved lots and trusts me more and more, but he still really bites me. He's not the same as before the operation - he was docile and sweet before now I'm the only person that will go near him, because he doesn't just nip, he really goes for you :( - I thought it might do him some good to have a friend - the other bunny is his sister and they used to live together before they had to be separated due to her having knee surgery (another nightmare in itself haha) when they lived together though she was always the dominant one. He seems to love laying up against my legs all stretched out and I was hoping that if I could get them back together he wouldn't be so lonely. Do you think he'll be able to bond with another bunny?

I think I know what happened to your boy rabbit.

I also think bonding is possible. I wouldn't have separated them for fur flying, but it's difficult to know where to draw the line if you're not used to what it looks like.

As DP suggested - maybe someone else take them on and bond? :)

If you're nervous doing it yourself you could always contact local rabbit rescues and see if they will offer a bonding service.
This way you won't worry about if you've separated too soon etc. It sounds like they had a scuffle and just needed to be physically stopped before allowing to interact again, bit it's difficult to say without seeing them.

This was my thought too DP.

Do you think that he may have some impaired vision ?

Personally I would not want to send them away for bonding until I'd excluded all other options, including consulting a Rabbit Savvy Vet about whether there may be a physiological reason for the Buck's change in behaviour.

How would the vet ascertain brain damage, DP?

How would the vet ascertain brain damage, DP?
They have a few basic neurological tests they can do in the consult room. A brain scan could also be considered but if the vets feels it's a possibility they may be reluctant to do a scan as it'd require an anesthetic. It all depends on which drugs they used if brain damage is a possible option.
They would also take into account the behavioural changes.

This was my thought too DP.

Do you think that he may have some impaired vision ?

Personally I would not want to send them away for bonding until I'd excluded all other options, including consulting a Rabbit Savvy Vet about whether there may be a physiological reason for the Buck's change in behaviour.

Glad I'm not alone in this theory. Impaired vision is the most likely thing to have happened depending on the drugs used. It would also explain the behavioural changes.

They have a few basic neurological tests they can do in the consult room. A brain scan could also be considered but if the vets feels it's a possibility they may be reluctant to do a scan as it'd require an anesthetic. It all depends on which drugs they used if brain damage is a possible option.
They would also take into account the behavioural changes.

I see, toxic reaction to anaesthetic agent perhaps?

I don't believe that to be the case, but of course you may be right :)

I think I know what happened to your boy rabbit.

I also think bonding is possible. I wouldn't have separated them for fur flying, but it's difficult to know where to draw the line if you're not used to what it looks like.

As DP suggested - maybe someone else take them on and bond? :)

I know you can't know for sure but what's your theory? I'd really love to know, because I thought maybe brain damage or similar but i'm no expert and my vet who is really rabbit savvy just said he should get over it :(

I know you said you were using a neutral space - are you sure the female has not been there before? You say that she lifted her tail - so she was in for a fight. It sounds like she was being territorial. The boy thumping was normal, he would thump before chasing her.

I wouldn't know about his vision, but he doesn't appear any different to the others still extremely active - He's a climber and love jumping up and down on platforms etc - surely if his sight was an issue he wouldn't be as good? You guys are all super knowledgable and any suggestions or thoughts I'd love to hear, I think I'm going to need to book a vet appointment for him. I've been very worried about him but I was just hoping he would as the vet said get over it - and I mean he is a lot better - but still not the gentle bunny he was before :(

I know you said you were using a neutral space - are you sure the female has not been there before? You say that she lifted her tail - so she was in for a fight. It sounds like she was being territorial. The boy thumping was normal, he would thump before chasing her.

Yes neither of them have before - She's quite territorial haha - I probably did chicken out It was just when he started getting super aggressive like he does when it's just me feeding him for example that I kinda panicked a little - I think in the back of my mind I know he's not right and his behaviour changes so quickly that I didn't want the female to get hurt.

Does he have a runny nose? as when a rabbit can't smell properly he will attack you as he is defending himself.

Back