• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hydronephrosis/ Nephrectomy

Greengage

Young Bun
I have an 8 (almost 9) year old spayed doe, who has hydronephrosis affecting one kidney. Her vet has recommended its removal. Apart from her renal problems, the only other issue Greengage has, is arthritis in her thoracic spine. If anyone has had a rabbit go through this surgery, were there any problems following it? My main worry is that as her arthritis worsens and needs more analgesia, her remaining kidney is going to take a bashing.

I had a rabbit who had a kidney removed age 7. As he also had a problem with bladder sludge he was on Metacam (as an anti-inflammatory). He remained on it and lived another twenty two months. He was very happy and well in that time. It was eventually kidney failure that got him but 22 months was more than I had dared hope for.

I had a rabbit who had a kidney removed age 7. As he also had a problem with bladder sludge he was on Metacam (as an anti-inflammatory). He remained on it and lived another twenty two months. He was very happy and well in that time. It was eventually kidney failure that got him but 22 months was more than I had dared hope for.

I hoped you would see this thread and respond as I know how your special chap did so well after his op'

Greengage, I do not have any first hand experience with the procedure in any of my Rabbits but here are a few links that you may want to browse. You may have already seen them though

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Hydronephrosis.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...Indiv_TechniquesRabbit/Nephrectomy_Rabbit.htm

You would need to purchase the full article here :

http://www.vetexotic.theclinics.com/article/S1094-9194(06)00024-7/abstract

I wish your Rabbit all the best xx

I have an 8 (almost 9) year old spayed doe, who has hydronephrosis affecting one kidney. Her vet has recommended its removal. Apart from her renal problems, the only other issue Greengage has, is arthritis in her thoracic spine. If anyone has had a rabbit go through this surgery, were there any problems following it? My main worry is that as her arthritis worsens and needs more analgesia, her remaining kidney is going to take a bashing.

Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:

I am sorry to hear about Greengage. It must be worrying, but I am guessing you have a very experienced vet?

We had this issue with a rabbit in Rescue, but she was younger without the arthritis problem you mention. She came through the surgery well. You will have to asses with your vet the complications of taking Metacam long term with one kidney.

Some info here:

I hoped you would see this thread and respond as I know how your special chap did so well after his op'

Yes, he did really well. Given that he had EC, the fact that the kidney stones didn't ever afflict the second kidney was something of a miracle. Sadly his wonderful vet had to euthanise one of her own rabbits recently, he had stones in both kidneys so she was unable to save him. Surgery was the best course of action for my rabbit though, without doubt.

Yes, he did really well. Given that he had EC, the fact that the kidney stones didn't ever afflict the second kidney was something of a miracle. Sadly his wonderful vet had to euthanise one of her own rabbits recently, he had stones in both kidneys so she was unable to save him. Surgery was the best course of action for my rabbit though, without doubt.

Yes, I heard :cry: Very sad :cry:

Bunny Buddy, thank you so much for that. It was exactly the information I was hoping to receive. From US and CT reports, the unaffected kidney looks normal, so I hope Greengage will be as lucky as your special boy. Thanks once again.

I thought I had probably read every article and paper related to rabbit renal disease the internet has to offer, but I hadn't seen the Twycross nephrectomy one, so thank you very much Jane. Greengage has such a badly damaged ureter ( possibly adhesions from her spay) that urine flow from the right kidney down the ureter to her bladder is almost nonexistent, which of course causes back flow and swelling to that kidney. Surgery for Greengage is on Wednesday.

I thought I had probably read every article and paper related to rabbit renal disease the internet has to offer, but I hadn't seen the Twycross nephrectomy one, so thank you very much Jane. Greengage has such a badly damaged ureter ( possibly adhesions from her spay) that urine flow from the right kidney down the ureter to her bladder is almost nonexistent, which of course causes back flow and swelling to that kidney. Surgery for Greengage is on Wednesday.

I really hope that all will go well for her xx

Good luck. I hope all goes smoothly.

Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:

I am sorry to hear about Greengage. It must be worrying, but I am guessing you have a very experienced vet?

We had this issue with a rabbit in Rescue, but she was younger without the arthritis problem you mention. She came through the surgery well. You will have to asses with your vet the complications of taking Metacam long term with one kidney.

Some info here:

I think I should probably have an early night? I read your final sentence several times and couldn't figure out what having 2 backsides had to do with renally impaired rabbits😁

Back