• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Experience with Feeding Grass Nuts/ Grass Pellets?

Amy.

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone! I'm thinking of starting to feed my Leo grass nuts and have a few questions!

First off, Leo is approaching 9 years old and has always had issues maintaining weight, so I'm really wanting to make some changes to his diet before winter sets in. He is a prolific non-hay eater and has been almost from day 1. He even turns his nose up at Readigrass, but accepts fresh grass/ forage in summer. During winter he tends to go off grass, so keeping his fibre up is always a worry!

I work with horses and took home a few grass nuts to try, and tried him with a few these last few days. Well, today there was much more poo than normal in his run. The normal poops looked better than usual, and there was no uneaten ceacotrophs. The nuts I tried are around 12% fibre, but from previous threads I found Galen's Garden which sells some with 25%.

Really I'm just looking for people's experience with using grass nuts, especially as a hay replacement.

What sort of quantity can I feed, unlimited or the same quantity as I feed pellets?
Are grass nuts equally as good for the gut as fresh hay/ grass? (I will still offer fresh/ dried forage)
Any other thoughts?!

Thanks!

Hi everyone! I'm thinking of starting to feed my Leo grass nuts and have a few questions!

First off, Leo is approaching 9 years old and has always had issues maintaining weight, so I'm really wanting to make some changes to his diet before winter sets in. He is a prolific non-hay eater and has been almost from day 1. He even turns his nose up at Readigrass, but accepts fresh grass/ forage in summer. During winter he tends to go off grass, so keeping his fibre up is always a worry!

I work with horses and took home a few grass nuts to try, and tried him with a few these last few days. Well, today there was much more poo than normal in his run. The normal poops looked better than usual, and there was no uneaten ceacotrophs. The nuts I tried are around 12% fibre, but from previous threads I found Galen's Garden which sells some with 25%.

Really I'm just looking for people's experience with using grass nuts, especially as a hay replacement.

What sort of quantity can I feed, unlimited or the same quantity as I feed pellets?
Are grass nuts equally as good for the gut as fresh hay/ grass? (I will still offer fresh/ dried forage)
Any other thoughts?!

Thanks!

I feed Dengie Grass pellets to some of my Rabbits, they have a 20% fibre

http://www.dengie.com/horse-feeds/grass-range/grass-pellets/

but not as a hay replacement as the rotary chewing action of eating hay is what is essential for healthy dentition in Rabbits.

Graze On Grass Pellets contain 25% fibre

http://www.efeed.co.uk/products/horse-feed/straights/grass-nuts

I have just ordered some of these and I can send you a small sample of both types if you like ?

As Leo is 9 and he has never eaten much hay I expect that his teeth are not in the best condition, including the potential of tooth root problems Has a Rabbit Savvy Vet taken a look at his teeth recently ?

Any other thoughts?!

Thanks!

Hi Amy

What have you been doing so far to help Leo maintain his weight?

I guess if he's never eaten hay then his teeth probably won't allow it now, or readigrass. I'm glad he's been able to eat fresh grass though, that's a bonus and also very good for teeth wear:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2011/10/07/grass-hay-tooth-wear/

Grass nuts are better than nothing, though it's the side to side grinding of hay and grass that actually wears the teeth down. (See above :)) So long strand fibre is better for that.

I would look into the Galens Garden grass pellets as they are higher in fibre. With the horse pellets it does say to soak them prior to feeding as they expand. I'm not sure this would go down too well with rabbits!

What I would say though, is having tried them, I would avoid horse feeds and forages that are soaked in oil, as these aren't so good for a rabbit long term.

What I have found useful is Fibafirst Sticks as they are up to 30% long strand fibre. It's the long strand fibre which helps wear down the teeth, and in the Fibafirst you will also get other nutrients to help keep the weight on, particularly in winter :)

Back