• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do older rabbits need more pellets in Winter?

supersonic

Mama Doe
Sonic's doing great at the moment, he has a lovely thick coat and he's on top form. However, I'm worried about this bad winter we're supposed to be getting (British news scaremongering, I'm sure haha).
He's an outdoor bun and would hate it if I put him inside...

So do I increase his pellets a little bit??

Obviously he looks at me like, "yes, increase my pellets, give me the whole bag" :lol:

Theoretically I don't think that older rabbits should require more food. However, I think you need to monitor the individual circumstances for your rabbit. I have a doe, who is eight and a half, who struggles to maintain her weight throughout the year, but more so in Winter. I sneak her extra food in the Winter, so that her chunky son doesn't increase his own weight issues.

If I were you I would weigh Sonic regularly without increasing his pellets and then increase them if he is losing weight.

Sonic's doing great at the moment, he has a lovely thick coat and he's on top form. However, I'm worried about this bad winter we're supposed to be getting (British news scaremongering, I'm sure haha).
He's an outdoor bun and would hate it if I put him inside...

So do I increase his pellets a little bit??

Obviously he looks at me like, "yes, increase my pellets, give me the whole bag" :lol:

Not more scaremongering! :lol:

I agree with Omi :) It's tempting to feed more just to 'keep a little extra' on him. And I can't speak for Sonic, but I do find elder buns can struggle to maintain their weight.

How old is he - did you say?

I should weigh him if you can, and use your judgement. Keep an eye on whether he seems to be getting bonier and looking a bit 'cold' if you know what I mean (low and hunched). He will need to keep his immune system working strong and will need plenty of good nourishment for that. How is he with hay?

Perhaps you could add in some readigrass as a bit more protein without upping the pellets and see how he goes to begin with?

Alternatively, not having seen his face recently, you may have to offer him the whole bag of pellets :lol:

Mine (only 4yrs) get more pellets but they always have because there's less forage, so they get skinnier. Although OH has taken to feeding them almost a scoop each at the moment and now they're fat little fluffers! :lol:

He's 8 and a half now! So not 'old old' but he's knocking on a bit.

He's pretty good with hay, and obviously he always has more than he could eat everyday!

I wouldn't be worried about giving him more food if he didn't have teeth issues last year. I wasn't giving him nice hay, so my theory is that it caused his spurs, which he's never had before. Since being on the (more expensive!) Timothy Hay he's not had an issue with his teeth at all. I just panic that if I give him more pellets he'll eat less hay!

I'd have no problem with a slightly tubby bun, but I just worry so much about his teeth. I will definitely look at Readigrass, it's not something he's had before. At least if he rejects it I can give it to the Guineas :lol:

We all know anybun would take the whole bag if pellets if possible. Once the bag of guinea pig food fell over and spilt everywhere. He was in the bag like a shot! Lil ****** ate half his bodyweight in about 2 seconds flat :lol:

He's 8 and a half now! So not 'old old' but he's knocking on a bit.

He's pretty good with hay, and obviously he always has more than he could eat everyday!

I wouldn't be worried about giving him more food if he didn't have teeth issues last year. I wasn't giving him nice hay, so my theory is that it caused his spurs, which he's never had before. Since being on the (more expensive!) Timothy Hay he's not had an issue with his teeth at all. I just panic that if I give him more pellets he'll eat less hay!

I'd have no problem with a slightly tubby bun, but I just worry so much about his teeth. I will definitely look at Readigrass, it's not something he's had before. At least if he rejects it I can give it to the Guineas :lol:

We all know anybun would take the whole bag if pellets if possible. Once the bag of guinea pig food fell over and spilt everywhere. He was in the bag like a shot! Lil ****** ate half his bodyweight in about 2 seconds flat :lol:

Could you add in a couple of Fibafirst sticks? Full of long strand fibre and some extra goodies for health and to keep the weight up :)

Could you add in a couple of Fibafirst sticks? Full of long strand fibre and some extra goodies for health and to keep the weight up :)

I use these as Tan's top-up food https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food...care-plus-digestive-health-formula-1kg-p-5639

They appear to be very similar to Fibafirst, but for wahtever reason my rabbits seem to prefer them. The only difference I can see is that they don't break up as easily as Fibafirst. Oh and they are slightly more expensive as well :roll:

I use these as Tan's top-up food https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food...care-plus-digestive-health-formula-1kg-p-5639

They appear to be very similar to Fibafirst, but for wahtever reason my rabbits seem to prefer them. The only difference I can see is that they don't break up as easily as Fibafirst. Oh and they are slightly more expensive as well :roll:

Interesting :)

I have just compared the ingredients on the Hay Experts website for both products and they seem very similar. The one you use has trace minerals included and the vitamin ratio varies between the two. Oh and yours has 2% more fibre, but not a significant difference I think.

I might give them a try, for variety and nutrients :)

Interesting :)

I have just compared the ingredients on the Hay Experts website for both products and they seem very similar. The one you use has trace minerals included and the vitamin ratio varies between the two. Oh and yours has 2% more fibre, but not a significant difference I think.

I might give them a try, for variety and nutrients :)

Yes, I don't think that nutritionally there is much to choose between them. The ones I use do have small amounts of Fennel, Peppermint and Chamomile, which I imagine must make them taste slightly different. As I said, they also are harder and don't break up so readily as Fibafirst.

The key thing for me though is that "the little shed people" prefer them :lol: It's also important that Tan eats them up speedily, before her son gets a whiff of what's on offer :lol:

I feed Izzy (I've been told she's 10 but I've also been told other ages so no idea really!) more pellets. I give her a handful of burgess excel and a scoop of Protexin in with it to make sure she's getting enough fibre because I worry that if I feed more pellets she'll eat less hay. I've found with all my rabbits as they get older they loose weight, so I'm trying to feed her as much as she wants because I don't want her to be cold in winter so if she's a little overweight I'm ok with that.

Yes, I don't think that nutritionally there is much to choose between them. The ones I use do have small amounts of Fennel, Peppermint and Chamomile, which I imagine must make them taste slightly different. As I said, they also are harder and don't break up so readily as Fibafirst.

The key thing for me though is that "the little shed people" prefer them :lol: It's also important that Tan eats them up speedily, before her son gets a whiff of what's on offer :lol:

:lol: Is that your name for your rabbits? :love:

Yes I have a bit of separate feeding to do surreptitiously.

Supersonic, to get back to your original point - what do you think about these fibre stick things? :)

:lol: Is that your name for your rabbits? :love:

Yes I have a bit of separate feeding to do surreptitiously.

Supersonic, to get back to your original point - what do you think about these fibre stick things? :)

Yes, sometimes :lol: Probably more often, especially by the OH, they're called "the furry creatures".

Back