• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits don't seem keen on the hay!

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Quite a few of my rabbits are not eating their hay as much as normal. I've just rang my supplier and they tell me it is this year's. So, why I wonder don't they seem to like it? I thought perhaps they want it as bedding to keep warm now it's colder at night but I'm not sure this is the reason. Does it taste different or is it more nutritional so they don't need to eat as much? It's worrying me. Does anyone have any other ideas as to why they are leaving it?

It could just be an "off" batch.

Does it smell fresh? Seem damp at all?
Sometimes the smallest thing wrong with hay can put buns off so maybe try another bag/bale and see what they think.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We buy ings hay for our two and must say this batch we've had the buns aren't very keen either.

The hay is much softer and finer, and apparently all they have until after xmas when they'll have their next batch ready. At Hayforpets, they we're quite shocked in the difference and think the weather has played a big part in it. Luckily for me, they have found a bag of the older batch, which I am mixing in and it's going down much better.

Ah, rabbits and their fussiness :roll: Somehow they seem to know what they want in their hay, even if it looks like a perfectly good bale to us! I don't think I'll ever understand how they judge it :lol:
It could also be that they're bored with that type of hay? Have you tried some different hay types? My lot are spoiled with the timothyhay.co.uk hay now and won't touch other stuff anymore :roll: I get disgusted looks if I offer them anything else now.
The bag we had before our current bag was slightly lower quality than normal (just a seasonal change I think) and they were a bit upset by it and left bits. Now on the next bale (normal quality) they're finishing everything. Such snobs :lol:
What about mixing a bit of readigrass in to encourage them to eat it?

It's odd because their poohs show that they re eating hay, just not in large quantities :? I think once they like a hay they don't get bored with it.

Back