• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tramadol - getting it in there!

Mandmcc

Alpha Buck
Hi all! I’ve been reading through the old posts trying to find info on this.... Tramadol which my Cory is now having in addition to Metacam for his lower spine and back legs...

1) how do I get it in to him? Already tried banana and he said no!
2) will it be hard on his tum? Do I need to look out for anything or change his diet in anyway to compensate?

As mentioned he’s already on Metacam, gets injections twice a week and generally a lot of poking and prodding and frequent visits to the vets so I want to make the addition of a new med as painless and stressless as possible!!!

10fb5379df723cbe4195a90e7b99f97b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to grind the tablet between 2 spoons and added 1 ml of water to the spoon from the syringe, sucked it into the 1ml syringe and syringed into their mouth. Any other way only half got eatten or less and I wanted to be sure they got the most of it. Probably best given after food and have a wee treat to give afterwards to take the nasty taste away. Cory is a beautiful boy :)

Hi all! I’ve been reading through the old posts trying to find info on this.... Tramadol which my Cory is now having in addition to Metacam for his lower spine and back legs...

1) how do I get it in to him? Already tried banana and he said no!
2) will it be hard on his tum? Do I need to look out for anything or change his diet in anyway to compensate?

As mentioned he’s already on Metacam, gets injections twice a week and generally a lot of poking and prodding and frequent visits to the vets so I want to make the addition of a new med as painless and stressless as possible!!!

10fb5379df723cbe4195a90e7b99f97b.png

Isn't he beautiful? :love:

Yes grind it between two spoons .. and add in some baby food (Ella's Kitchen Blueberries and Bananas is good)

But why can't your vet give you liquid Tramadol? My vet stocks it - can you ask them to get it for you?

I also give Ranitidine (Zantac) with Metacam and Tramadol to make sure there aren't any gut nasties such as ulcers forming :)

In the past, my vets have always provided our tramadol already mixed with water, so it's just a case of giving it a shake and drawing it up the syringe! Works so much easier! :thumb:

Also similar to mighty Max, we've always had Zantac as well to keep tummies okay!

He's such a gorgeous boy xxx

Thanks @MightyMax and @nickybunny1 why didn’t I think of that?! I’ll definitely do the syringe thing this weekend and then I’ll get on to the vet for liquid form and Zantac on Monday! I do have a good rabbit savvy vet but I always like to double check on here and for good reason!! Thaaaaaanks from me and Cory!

I hope your getting Cory who is very cute to take his meds now.

After reading the ideas in this thread i have got a new method for giving Jasper his meds.

I prepare the 0.35ml meds and then squeeze a grape or two then suck up some of grape juice with syringe.

Jasper loves grapes and he is practically grabbing the syringe with his mouth and as he licks the grape juice i just quickly shoot the meds in and all done with one to two seconds.

Hope this helps.

Thanks @MightyMax and @nickybunny1 why didn’t I think of that?! I’ll definitely do the syringe thing this weekend and then I’ll get on to the vet for liquid form and Zantac on Monday! I do have a good rabbit savvy vet but I always like to double check on here and for good reason!! Thaaaaaanks from me and Cory!

You're welcome :wave:

Always good to pick up ideas when and where you can :)

I hope your getting Cory who is very cute to take his meds now.

After reading the ideas in this thread i have got a new method for giving Jasper his meds.

I prepare the 0.35ml meds and then squeeze a grape or two then suck up some of grape juice with syringe.

Jasper loves grapes and he is practically grabbing the syringe with his mouth and as he licks the grape juice i just quickly shoot the meds in and all done with one to two seconds.

Hope this helps.

Brilliant idea! Cory loves a grape so I’ll definitely give this ago. After trial and error I’ve been cutting a slice of banana, cutting the slice in half and mushing one side with a powdered tablet and then smearing it over the remaining half and then giving it to him like a treat. God love him, he stands up and begs for it like it’s something yummy and I feel a bit sly but it’s for his own good! 🤣

I’m definitely getting the liquid version when we’ve finished these up though!

Brilliant idea! Cory loves a grape so I’ll definitely give this ago. After trial and error I’ve been cutting a slice of banana, cutting the slice in half and mushing one side with a powdered tablet and then smearing it over the remaining half and then giving it to him like a treat. God love him, he stands up and begs for it like it’s something yummy and I feel a bit sly but it’s for his own good! ��

IME the 5mg and 10mg Tablets dissolve easily if crushed in a bit of Apple Juice and this can then be syringed into Bunny's mouth xx

Brilliant idea! Cory loves a grape so I’ll definitely give this ago. After trial and error I’ve been cutting a slice of banana, cutting the slice in half and mushing one side with a powdered tablet and then smearing it over the remaining half and then giving it to him like a treat. God love him, he stands up and begs for it like it’s something yummy and I feel a bit sly but it’s for his own good! 🤣

I would prime your vet in advance, as it's not always easy to obtain apparently (though my vet seems to obtain it with ease!)

I would prime your vet in advance, as it's not always easy to obtain apparently (though my vet seems to obtain it with ease!)

Yes I’ll let them know when I’m planning in the next appointment to coincide - good point!

IME the 5mg and 10mg Tablets dissolve easily if crushed in a bit of Apple Juice and this can then be syringed into Bunny's mouth xx

Another good idea - I it didn’t dissolve very easily in water when I tried it so juice defo sounds like a better idea [emoji4]

Just wanted to say an absolute beautiful boy Cory is. Hope the meds help him with pain control bless him x

Back