Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pen sides, how tall?

Yes, it's for an indoor run, sorry I wasn't clear. The cats no concern, he's an old boy now, just the rabbits being escapologists. The bonding area I have them in is separated from the rest of the house by a sheet of plywood that is 800mm (2.6ft) tall, they've been in here a week without escaping, although they do try to look over it they can't reach the top. I think some more height on the new run for peace of mind would be better, thanks.

I feel I tempted fate answering this thread went downstairs this morning and found one of the rabbits outside the pen. It was my female who is most definitely the more adventurous, the 2 boys rarely even jump on the sofa. Will rearrange their setup today & order a taller pen!

Quote Originally Posted by Casco View Post
    I feel I tempted fate answering this thread went downstairs this morning and found one of the rabbits outside the pen. It was my female who is most definitely the more adventurous, the 2 boys rarely even jump on the sofa. Will rearrange their setup today & order a taller pen!

Oh Casco

I really shouldn't find this amusing, but having seen a rabbit scale the sides of a pen 'wall' just as a squirrel would - in a heartbeat - I don't think I would underestimate any rabbit's climbing/jumping abilities ever again!

I know no escapees in over a year of them being together until I happen to mention the fact on a forum (do you think rabbits can read?!) I have actually seen Millie attempt a squirrel like escape when they had a wood & mesh pen although she only made it 3/4 of the way, they have a metal pen now which is harder to scale.

Don’t think she was out for long - I heard a fair bit of scuffling or chasing just before I came downstairs. I think she’s made the leap from the top of one of their hides which I’ve now moved to a better position.

I remember reading a while ago that in rabbit showjumping rabbits hadn't quite broken the meter (at that time, anyway) but I have seen Lunar jump a meter like it was nothing I meassured it and everything
    It's worrying because we're building new pens with panels that are 1m x 1m and we're trying to figure out how to increase the height at the moment
    In hindsight I really think they should be over a meter high if they have no lid but unfortunately we're tied to it as I've already bought the perspex!

Edit:
    Just thought of another thing - I'm thinking of solid-sided pens. Mesh-type/metal bar pens are a completely different matter! Personally I wouldn't risk them without a lid at all. This is because shortly after bringing him home I found my sweet, timid, quiet, inncocent little Pixel climbing out of his temporary metal-bar cage. And he didn't just do it once. Oh no. He did it a lot.
    And yes, he escaped from it easily. A little hop at the top and he was out. I remember the first time he did it I caught him out the corner of my eye and dived like a rugby player and just managed to catch him from the jump
    Last edited by ~ILoveMyBunny~; 29-10-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    My bunnies:
    Willow - Cinnamon (see avatar) (f) ~ Sleep peacefully my beautiful girl <3
    Maple - Standard Rex (f) - Sleep in peace sweetheart. I'm so sorry.
    Jazzie - Dutch (f)
    Lunar - Lionhead (f)
    Pixel - Netherland Dwarf (m)
    Cody - Dwarf Lop (m)
    Mishka - Dwarf Lop (f)
    Snowflake (aka Angel) - Lionhead (crossed w/dwarf?) (f)
    Honey - Angora x? (f)
    Pinot - Dwarf Lop (m)

Just thought..... could adding a piece of wood at an angle help? Bit like they do to keep cats in gardens etc? It's meant to act as a shield so they can't see what they are jumping up onto/over.

Attached terrible picture to try to show what I mean.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daphnephoebe; 29-10-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Yes, I was thinking of something similar myself, my sketches are also similar

@Casco - sorry......

My English spot can sure jump onto the sofa and elsewhere no problem, strange how she does not attempt to escape the current pen with sides only a little over 2 foot.

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    Just thought..... could adding a piece of wood at an angle help? Bit like they do to keep cats in gardens etc? It's meant to act as a shield so they can't see what they are jumping up onto/over.

Oh wow, why didn't I think of that?! I was thinking of something vertical at the top but this makes much more sense! What a brilliant idea
    My bunnies:
    Willow - Cinnamon (see avatar) (f) ~ Sleep peacefully my beautiful girl <3
    Maple - Standard Rex (f) - Sleep in peace sweetheart. I'm so sorry.
    Jazzie - Dutch (f)
    Lunar - Lionhead (f)
    Pixel - Netherland Dwarf (m)
    Cody - Dwarf Lop (m)
    Mishka - Dwarf Lop (f)
    Snowflake (aka Angel) - Lionhead (crossed w/dwarf?) (f)
    Honey - Angora x? (f)
    Pinot - Dwarf Lop (m)

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post

This is a great idea, particularly if the sides themselves are solid and not grids/mesh

Quote Originally Posted by Casco View Post
    I know no escapees in over a year of them being together until I happen to mention the fact on a forum (do you think rabbits can read?!) I have actually seen Millie attempt a squirrel like escape when they had a wood & mesh pen although she only made it 3/4 of the way, they have a metal pen now which is harder to scale.

Donít think she was out for long - I heard a fair bit of scuffling or chasing just before I came downstairs. I think sheís made the leap from the top of one of their hides which Iíve now moved to a better position.

Hi Casco

Any more jailbreaks recently?