• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pen sides, how tall?

Mark1

Young Bun
How high do you guys think pen sides should be? I see some as short as 700mm (2 1/4) feet and some over 1m (3 feet).

At least three feet for them to stand up tall. Mine were mini-lops. Also, they could jump clean over that, when young, so the taller the better.

Mine is 1m high, I have hides etc all against the side that’s next to a wall to try to prevent them being able to jump out from on top of something. No escapees so far. I would say 1m minimum height if it’s an open topped pen, although that would also depend on your own rabbits. Mine don’t tend to jump high.

I think it depends on how likely your rabbit is to jump. Ours is an opened out puppy pen which is only 65ish cm high (just over 2 feet) surrounding a small hutch with the doors permanently open. I think it has never occurred to them to try and jump it but I'm sure another jumpy rabbit could scale it.

I think it depends if buns are inside or outside. If outside would the pen be covered ? My Treacle, mini lop, used to clear a 4 ft panel, no problem. She's indoors now, and older, and never attempts the high jump these days :D

I think the OP is planning an indoor set up but not sure? For an indoor pen I would say at least 3ft possibly 4, depends on the rabbit really. For example my last indoor rabbit wouldn't jump or climb anything, but a half wild i.e. I had climbed 4ft up the aviary mesh :shock: If you have other pets such as cats it needs to be lidded to stop them getting to the rabbits

How high do you guys think pen sides should be? I see some as short as 700mm (2 1/4) feet and some over 1m (3 feet).

It depends on how high your rabbits can jump :)

I helped with a bonding recently with a rabbit that could literally climb up the CC grid pen to over five foot and jump out ... :shock:

Yes, it's for an indoor run, sorry I wasn't clear. The cats no concern, he's an old boy now, just the rabbits being escapologists. The bonding area I have them in is separated from the rest of the house by a sheet of plywood that is 800mm (2.6ft) tall, they've been in here a week without escaping, although they do try to look over it they can't reach the top. I think some more height on the new run for peace of mind would be better, thanks.

I feel I tempted fate answering this thread :lol: went downstairs this morning and found one of the rabbits outside the pen. It was my female who is most definitely the more adventurous, the 2 boys rarely even jump on the sofa. Will rearrange their setup today & order a taller pen!

I feel I tempted fate answering this thread :lol: went downstairs this morning and found one of the rabbits outside the pen. It was my female who is most definitely the more adventurous, the 2 boys rarely even jump on the sofa. Will rearrange their setup today & order a taller pen!

Oh Casco :shock:

I really shouldn't find this amusing, but having seen a rabbit scale the sides of a pen 'wall' just as a squirrel would - in a heartbeat - I don't think I would underestimate any rabbit's climbing/jumping abilities ever again!

I know :shock: no escapees in over a year of them being together until I happen to mention the fact on a forum (do you think rabbits can read?!) I have actually seen Millie attempt a squirrel like escape when they had a wood & mesh pen although she only made it 3/4 of the way, they have a metal pen now which is harder to scale.

Don’t think she was out for long - I heard a fair bit of scuffling or chasing just before I came downstairs. I think she’s made the leap from the top of one of their hides which I’ve now moved to a better position.

I remember reading a while ago that in rabbit showjumping rabbits hadn't quite broken the meter (at that time, anyway) but I have seen Lunar jump a meter like it was nothing :shock: I meassured it and everything :lol:
It's worrying because we're building new pens with panels that are 1m x 1m and we're trying to figure out how to increase the height at the moment :lol:
In hindsight I really think they should be over a meter high if they have no lid but unfortunately we're tied to it as I've already bought the perspex!

Edit:
Just thought of another thing - I'm thinking of solid-sided pens. Mesh-type/metal bar pens are a completely different matter! Personally I wouldn't risk them without a lid at all. This is because shortly after bringing him home I found my sweet, timid, quiet, inncocent little Pixel climbing out of his temporary metal-bar cage. And he didn't just do it once. Oh no. He did it a lot.
And yes, he escaped from it easily. A little hop at the top and he was out. I remember the first time he did it I caught him out the corner of my eye and dived like a rugby player and just managed to catch him from the jump :roll:

Last edited:
Just thought..... could adding a piece of wood at an angle help? Bit like they do to keep cats in gardens etc? It's meant to act as a shield so they can't see what they are jumping up onto/over.

Attached terrible picture to try to show what I mean.
63fd8c2864d6f8308436dba68a97bef0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, I was thinking of something similar myself, my sketches are also similar:D

@Casco - sorry......

My English spot can sure jump onto the sofa and elsewhere no problem, strange how she does not attempt to escape the current pen with sides only a little over 2 foot.

Just thought..... could adding a piece of wood at an angle help? Bit like they do to keep cats in gardens etc? It's meant to act as a shield so they can't see what they are jumping up onto/over.

Oh wow, why didn't I think of that?! I was thinking of something vertical at the top but this makes much more sense! What a brilliant idea :D

63fd8c2864d6f8308436dba68a97bef0.jpg

This is a great idea, particularly if the sides themselves are solid and not grids/mesh :)

I know :shock: no escapees in over a year of them being together until I happen to mention the fact on a forum (do you think rabbits can read?!) I have actually seen Millie attempt a squirrel like escape when they had a wood & mesh pen although she only made it 3/4 of the way, they have a metal pen now which is harder to scale.

Don’t think she was out for long - I heard a fair bit of scuffling or chasing just before I came downstairs. I think she’s made the leap from the top of one of their hides which I’ve now moved to a better position.

Hi Casco :wave:

Any more jailbreaks recently? :)

Back