• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Designing New Hutch as a Product Design Student, Questionnaire

xNimmyx

New Kit
Hello, I'm currently in my final year as a Product Design student and I'm planning to design a hutch that will be able to fit any size of bunny with extra extensions that can be purchased to add to the hutch. However, ill need some research so was asking whether anyone could help me by answering some questions that would be able to help me with this design. These are the questions that i wanted to ask:

[/I]How many Rabbits do you currently own?[/I]

[/I]How long have you owned your rabbit/rabbits for?[/I]

[/I]Do you own a Hutch for your rabbit/s? If yes, what kind of Hutch and what is the estimated size?[/I]

[/I]Have you ever faced any problems with the you own or previously owned? (such as Rabbits escaping, chewing the hutch, etc)[/I]

[/I]Have you ever had the need to buy a new hutch? If yes, why?[/I]

[/I]Do you own a run for your rabbit? If yes, did you build it yourself or did you buy it?[/I]

[/I]Have you faced any problems when you are trying to clean your rabbits hutch?[/I]

[/I]While owning your rabbit, have you had to make any adjustments to the current hutch to meet their needs? (such as adjusting the sizes of parts of the hutch)[/I]

[/I]Do you face any problems when trying to feed your pets?[/I]

[/I]Are there any other animals in your area that are dangerous to your rabbits? if yes, what are they?[/I]

Thank you very much for answering these questions. They will help me immensely for designing my product. :)

Hello, I'm currently in my final year as a Product Design student and I'm planning to design a hutch that will be able to fit any size of bunny with extra extensions that can be purchased to add to the hutch. However, ill need some research so was asking whether anyone could help me by answering some questions that would be able to help me with this design. These are the questions that i wanted to ask:

How many Rabbits do you currently own?

How long have you owned your rabbit/rabbits for?
Kept rabbits for 7 years, my current 2 for 4 years (Izzy) and 4 months (Beans)

Do you own a Hutch for your rabbit/s? If yes, what kind of Hutch and what is the estimated size?
A 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with attached run from Happy Hutch

Have you ever faced any problems with the you own or previously owned? (such as Rabbits escaping, chewing the hutch, etc)
No problems

Have you ever had the need to buy a new hutch? If yes, why?
Not yet and had it since 2010

Do you own a run for your rabbit? If yes, did you build it yourself or did you buy it?
Bought it with the hutch

Have you faced any problems when you are trying to clean your rabbits hutch?
The run is in front of the hutch so to clean it I have to lean over or get in the hutch so that isn't the easiest but it's not too bad

While owning your rabbit, have you had to make any adjustments to the current hutch to meet their needs? (such as adjusting the sizes of parts of the hutch)
No size adjustments but I've had to put a new roof on it and build a new ramp on it because of damage

Do you face any problems when trying to feed your pets?
No

Are there any other animals in your area that are dangerous to your rabbits? if yes, what are they?
No, foxes are around but I've not been to concerned about them as I feel the rabbits home is as secure as it can be against foxes

Thank you very much for answering these questions. They will help me immensely for designing my product. :)

I'd be very interested to hear more about your idea

Last edited:

2 of them for one year, 1 for a few weeks

[/I]Do you own a Hutch for your rabbit/s? If yes, what kind of Hutch and what is the estimated size?[/I]
No they are indoor rabbits

[/I]Have you ever faced any problems with the you own or previously owned? (such as Rabbits escaping, chewing the hutch, etc)[/I]
- Too many pet shop hutches have flimsy door fasteners, they should have a proper sliding bolt lock maybe one with holes for a padlock (people do sometimes steal rabbits)
- Some hutches have tiny legs, not only do you have to crouch down to try clean them but I feel like they're more exposed to predators too
- I don't like hutches with the sliding trays. In theory they seem convenient, just slide the tray out and dump the bedding in the bin. In reality, most of them are really shallow so when you try slide it out all the bedding just falls down the back on to the floor
- Some hutches have a 'kickboard' that stops bedding falling out of the hutch when you open it. Personally I prefered hutches without these (like this - http://www.rabbithutch.org.uk/img/5ft-kendal-xl-rabbit-hutch-and-run_9292_300.jpg) because you can sweep the bedding out really easily

With one of my first ever rabbits the hutch was made really poorly with very soft wood. The roof of the hutch bowed and the rabbit actually managed to chew a hole in the side of it

[/I]Do you own a run for your rabbit? If yes, did you build it yourself or did you buy it?[/I]
Yes, bought it

[/I]Have you faced any problems when you are trying to clean your rabbits hutch?[/I]
As I mentioned earlier, kickboards annoy me. I've never owned a hutch with a waterproof base but apparently painting the base in yatch paint can make cleaning easier and make the hutch floor last longer

[/I]While owning your rabbit, have you had to make any adjustments to the current hutch to meet their needs? (such as adjusting the sizes of parts of the hutch)[/I]
Usually just fixing up loose latches, in the past when a hutch has become unsuitable I tend to get rid and buy a new one

[/I]Are there any other animals in your area that are dangerous to your rabbits? if yes, what are they?[/I]

Foxes and dogs are the main worry, they can get through the thin galvanised mesh that's on most pet shop hutches. They're also the reason the hutch should be raised up, even if a fox/dog can't get in rabbits can die of fright

Most hutches you've probably seen in pet shops are completely unsuitable. The RWAF has guidelines on sizes, for the hutch itself you're looking at a minimum of 6ftx2ftx2ft but they should also have permanent access to an area at least 8ftx6ft for exercise (that might be achieved by attaching the hutch to a run, or putting it in a shed/room). Remember the hutch should be able to protect the rabbits from predators and bad weather, so you want high legs, thick mesh, bolt locks, an overhanging roof with waterproof felt on it and something to cover the hutch when it's very windy/rainy, I like when hutches come with little perspex windows that fit over the mesh

Have a look at these companies for inspiration...
Manor pet housing
Boyles Pet Housing

These are the questions that i wanted to ask:

How many Rabbits do you currently own?

How long have you owned your rabbit/rabbits for?

These current rabbits 2 years, but have kept rabbits for over 15 years

Do you own a Hutch for your rabbit/s? If yes, what kind of Hutch and what is the estimated size?

No, they have full access to the house. If they ever needed to be confined they'd have 60sqft minimum as per RWAF recommendations.

Have you ever faced any problems with the you own or previously owned? (such as Rabbits escaping, chewing the hutch, etc)

When I did use hutches it was difficult to find ones that provided a good sized bed area or came with the correct size run

Have you ever had the need to buy a new hutch? If yes, why?

Yes, just for a change

Do you own a run for your rabbit? If yes, did you build it yourself or did you buy it?

No as free range. When I did have runs I'd build them myself.

Have you faced any problems when you are trying to clean your rabbits hutch?

n/a

While owning your rabbit, have you had to make any adjustments to the current hutch to meet their needs? (such as adjusting the sizes of parts of the hutch)

n/a

Do you face any problems when trying to feed your pets?

No as we scatter food in the bedroom.

Are there any other animals in your area that are dangerous to your rabbits? if yes, what are they?

Not now but with my previous rabbits they were housed close to ferrets.

As already suggested. Take a look at Manor Pet Housing and Boyles Pet Housing.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Four

Five years

I have a 5 foot by 2 foot hutch with no doors that goes inside their 6 x 6 foot shed

Never had any escapees but this lot to chew the hutch legs a bit. They like to go on top, inside and under the hutch.

Yes, when I didnt have a shed I bought them a 6 foot by 2 foot hutch that was in a walk in 6 x 10 foot run.

Yes. I bought it from the welfare hutch company. It is 5 x 7 feet and permenantly fixed to the shed with 24 hour access.

No. I lined it with lino to make cleaning easier and they have three litter trays full of newspaper and hay which I change often. One of which is in the hutch

to meet their needs? (such as adjusting the sizes of parts of the hutch)[/I]

Never had to adjust their hutch, apart from removing the main door so that it could become a shelter inside their shed.

No.

Foxes. I use 16g weldmesh on the top bottom and sides of the run.

Best of luck with your project.

Hello Nimmy

[/I]How many Rabbits do you currently own?[/I] 2

[/I]How long have you owned your rabbit/rabbits for?[/I]2 months

[/I]Do you own a Hutch for your rabbit/s? If yes, what kind of Hutch and what is the estimated size?[/I]I own a converted playhouse. Internal dimensions 6ft by 4ft by 5ft high

[/I]Have you ever faced any problems with the you own or previously owned? (such as Rabbits escaping, chewing the hutch, etc)[/I]no problems

[/I]Have you ever had the need to buy a new hutch? If yes, why?[/I]no

[/I]Do you own a run for your rabbit? If yes, did you build it yourself or did you buy it?[/I]Yes. It was specially built according to my specifications as I couldn't find one large enough.

[/I]Have you faced any problems when you are trying to clean your rabbits hutch?[/I]none. Exept rabbit trying to chuck me out of the hutch/playhouse whilst cleaning it!

[/I]While owning your rabbit, have you had to make any adjustments to the current hutch to meet their needs? (such as adjusting the sizes of parts of the hutch)[/I]I insultated the playhouse and added lino

[/I]Do you face any problems when trying to feed your pets?[/I]none

[/I]Are there any other animals in your area that are dangerous to your rabbits? if yes, what are they?[/I]foxes

[/I]How many Rabbits do you currently own?[/I] 12

[/I]How long have you owned your rabbit/rabbits for?[/I] 2 years

[/I]Do you own a Hutch for your rabbit/s? If yes, what kind of Hutch and what is the estimated size?[/I] 1 temporary bespoke second hand hutch with under run (approx 7x5), 3 hutches as dens with the doors permanently open. Most have either a shed or playhouse with attached run or 16ft runaround tunnel.

Digging holes (to be expected), chewing things they shouldn't (to be expected!).

Purchased the bespoke hutch / run recently due to increase in numbers.

[/I]Do you own a run for your rabbit? If yes, did you build it yourself or did you buy it?[/I] Yes, a number of them, shop bought, one designed by ourselves.

Trying to reach the centre with a run underneath.

[/I]While owning your rabbit, have you had to make any adjustments to the current hutch to meet their needs? (such as adjusting the sizes of parts of the hutch)[/I] Removing or pinning doors back to allow freedom into run, shed or playhouse.

[/I]Do you face any problems when trying to feed your pets?[/I] Them not running out when I have the doors open, not standing on anyone when I go inside (sheds / playhouses)

[/I]Are there any other animals in your area that are dangerous to your rabbits? if yes, what are they?[/I] Not seen any foxes near here. Cats can be a nuisance if they roam around garden, but not dangerous as such.

All the best x

4 years

Yes, wooden 'Welfare Hutch Company' - 6ft x 3ft x 3ft

Yes, mostly with roof caving due to water damage, also the door came loose and rabbit escaped.

Yes, due to roof damage and to buy a more fox proof one

Bought it

Lack of drainage, they urinate in the hutch and it soaks the bottom of the hutch. As its wooden, it stays damp and ultimately cold which is particularly a problem in the winter.

No, just made my own cover to insulate it and protect from rain

Just a very eager one jumping out :lol:

I'm always wary of foxes, though never seen any. There are also nesting Ospreys nearby, and other birds of prey I'm wary of as well.

Thank you for the feedback!

I'd be very interested to hear more about your idea

I will try and update this forum once I have developed my idea and have come up with the final design.

I currently own rabbits myself however they live in my garage so I really appreciate the feedback that you have given me.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate it and i will try and keep this forum updated on what happens with my project. :)

:) I also own bunnies! I used to have 4 but 2 unfortunately had to be put to sleep so i'm left with 2 for now.

Back