• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is this herb/vegetable/plant? *Solved*

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Sorry to bother you all again :oops:
Just wondering if anyone knows what this is? I've started to buy herbs from my local market each week (so much cheaper than the supermarket!) and they have this stuff bunched up next to the coriander. I hadn't realized until tonight but a tiny bit of it got caugt up with the coriander (which actually worked out well as it gave me a chance to photograph it lol)
Does anyone know what it is? And is it safe for bunnies? If so I can buy some next tuesday :p
I did try a herb identifier app that I downloaded and one of the possible answers was fenugreek so I was wondering if it could be that?

80_DB7_E92_AB6_B200_D67_C544_B8_E2_B92_F3_B7903_BADD1_D1331_F501_pimgpsh_full.jpg

Last edited:
I have never seen fresh Fenugreek, but looking at images online it does look as though that's what it is. It's hard to tell from your photo, but the advice is that the leaves grow in threes. I was going to suggest that you crush a leaf and smell, but apparently there is only a mild aroma from fresh leaves.

What I would do is ask the stallholder when you go next week. It's alternative name is Methi, which is probably what it would be called.

I would imagine it's certainly OK for the rabbits as many rabbit foods contain Fenugreek.

Let us know how you get on. I would be interested.

Just wondering if anyone knows what this is? I've started to buy herbs from my local market each week (so much cheaper than the supermarket!) and they have this stuff bunched up next to the coriander. I hadn't realized until tonight but a tiny bit of it got caugt up with the coriander (which actually worked out well as it gave me a chance to photograph it lol)
Does anyone know what it is? And is it safe for bunnies? If so I can buy some next tuesday :p
I did try a herb identifier app that I downloaded and one of the possible answers was fenugreek so I was wondering if it could be that?

The picture is a bit small but going on what I can see it doesn't look like Fenugreek to me. I've fed/bought my buns fresh fenugreek many times and the leaves have a bit of a furry' look about them - kind of soft and distinctive :)

Of course I could be wrong, as I say, I can't see the pic too well .. :)

(can you ask in the shop? Fenugreek has quite thick stems also)

80_DB7_E92_AB6_B200_D67_C544_B8_E2_B92_F3_B7903_BADD1_D1331_F501_pimgpsh_full.jpg

I think it's Fenugreek (AKA 'Methi'). Fresh Fenugreek is fine to feed Rabbits but it can make their wee stink..........of Fenugreek !!

Oops sorry! Fixed the picture now :D
I tried smelling it but there was no smell.
Yes, I could ask the stallholder. I just feel embarrassed asking what it is :lol: But yeah, I think I'll do that. I'm certainly not going to feed anything if I don't know what it is.
If it is fenugreek/methi is it safe to feed much of it (I know you start small to see how they react, I mean longterm)? I've seen some people online say it's quite hot :shock:
I've never fed fenugreek crunchies as I didn't like the fact they had corn in them but I know they're a popular treat so I'm guessing it's safe in small amounts at least?
Sorry to bother you all with my awful plant knowledge :lol:

Edit:
Oops sorry Jane, didn't see your post!
That sounds promising :D I'll confirm with the stallholders before buying it but if it is I'll buy a bunch and see how it goes. I'm always keen to add something new in for them but I'm so paranoid about what I feed :roll:
The bit I had didn't smell in itself so I'm sure the 'aroma' is something to look forward to! :lol:

Edit (again):
Oh... When I looked up bunched fenugreek last night I didn't get a lot but looking up bunched methi it looks very much like what they have on the market stall!

Last edited:
Yes, I could ask the stallholder. I just feel embarrassed asking what it is :lol: But yeah, I think I'll do that. I'm certainly not going to feed anything if I don't know what it is.
If it is fenugreek/methi is it safe to feed much of it (I know you start small to see how they react, I mean longterm)? I've seen some people online say it's quite hot :shock:
I've never fed fenugreek crunchies as I didn't like the fact they had corn in them but I know they're a popular treat so I'm guessing it's safe in small amounts at least?

Edit:
That sounds promising :D I'll confirm with the stallholders before buying it but if it is I'll buy a bunch and see how it goes. I'm always keen to add something new in for them but I'm so paranoid about what I feed :roll:
The bit I had didn't smell in itself so I'm sure the 'aroma' is something to look forward to! :lol:

Edit (again):
Oh... When I looked up bunched fenugreek last night I didn't get a lot but looking up bunched methi it looks very much like what they have on the market stall!

Did you just sniff the leaves or did you tear one first ? If you tear the leaves there should be a very obvious smell of Fenugreek x

Edit:

Edit (again):

If it's fenugreek, then it's OK to feed freely as with any herbs.

My buns love it :D

Edit:

Edit (again):

Methi is another name for fenugreek :)

It's sold a lot at Asian and Middle Eastern food stores :)

It doesn't look like fenugreek to me. All the fenugreek I've bought has smooth edged oval like leaves the picture above the leaves are jagged.

Now I'm confused :lol: Why are plants so hard?
Could it be that there are different types? Like basil had other types like thai basil, greek basil etc? Similar but can be quite different looking. I bought some greek basil some time back in Waitrose and it looks very different to normal basil. And thai basil is quite different too, it smells stongly of aniseed (no idea what it tastes like - the aniseed smell was enough to put me off! :lol:)

I suppose the best thing is just to ask. I plan to go this week and it's on a tuesday so if I get an answer I'll post it here. Not sure whether to buy it or not yet, I think I'll wait to see what they say.
I wish I'd not thrown the other bit out last night now, I should have torn it as you said Jane. But then again I have no idea what fenugreek is supposed to smell like so :p

Could it be that there are different types? Like basil had other types like thai basil, greek basil etc? Similar but can be quite different looking. I bought some greek basil some time back in Waitrose and it looks very different to normal basil. And thai basil is quite different too, it smells stongly of aniseed (no idea what it tastes like - the aniseed smell was enough to put me off! :lol:)

I suppose the best thing is just to ask. I plan to go this week and it's on a tuesday so if I get an answer I'll post it here. Not sure whether to buy it or not yet, I think I'll wait to see what they say.
I wish I'd not thrown the other bit out last night now, I should have torn it as you said Jane. But then again I have no idea what fenugreek is supposed to smell like so :p

Well it smells like.....................Fenugreek !! :lol:

Neither have I :lol:

I just buy it and feed it. I'm not paid to smell it as well! :D

This actually gets even more confusing :lol: Researching a bit more online for this shows the following.

There is a British wild plant called Bird's foot Clover (Trifolium Ornithopodioides), which has the common name of Fenugreek.

Whereas Fenugreek aka Methi (Trigonella foenum-graecum) has a common name of Bird's Foot.

Botany is just so wonderfully confusing :lol:

...desperate to know what the answer is to what it is!
It does look like fenugreek from the overall leaf shape; if not, could it be holy basil? (jagged-y edges...)

Last edited:
This actually gets even more confusing :lol: Researching a bit more online for this shows the following.

There is a British wild plant called Bird's foot Clover (Trifolium Ornithopodioides), which has the common name of Fenugreek.

Whereas Fenugreek aka Methi (Trigonella foenum-graecum) has a common name of Bird's Foot.

Botany is just so wonderfully confusing :lol:

...Why?! What is wrong with the people that name these things! :lol:

Now I'm curious about this. I had no idea it was going to be such a confusing thing to identify! Makes me feel slightly better about asking :lol:
What's the betting that I go there on Tuesday and they're not selling any this time :roll:

...Why?! What is wrong with the people that name these things! :lol:

Now I'm curious about this. I had no idea it was going to be such a confusing thing to identify! Makes me feel slightly better about asking :lol:
What's the betting that I go there on Tuesday and they're not selling any this time :roll:

Betting it's Methi :lol:

I am sure you'll easily find out once you ask!!

Well, we have an answer
*Drumroll*
It's methi! :p
Felt a bit silly asking but apparently a lot of people do.
I bought one bunch as it's a new food and I don't want to include too much for them until I know it doesn't upset them.
Please forgive my paranoia but I have to ask again (I know, I'm far too paranoid :oops:) - it's definitely okay for them to have as you would normal herbs? It just seems like something that must be hot to go in curries! But then I suppose they do like their strong flavours. I would of course only give them a small amount to begin with.
I know, I'm far too fussy. This coming from a strict vegetarian-boarding-on-vegan who takes great meassures to avoid any kind of cross-contamination with my own food and won't let anyone else prepare it - and I'm still fussier about what the buns eat than what I do! :roll:

Must have looked so odd today, arms piled up with herbs! :lol: I bought six bunches of coriander, two bunches of parsley, three bunches of mint and a bunch of methi :lol::oops: I would have got some dill too but they had sold out.

Well, we have an answer
*Drumroll*
It's methi! :p
Felt a bit silly asking but apparently a lot of people do.
I bought one bunch as it's a new food and I don't want to include too much for them until I know it doesn't upset them.
Please forgive my paranoia but I have to ask again (I know, I'm far too paranoid :oops:) - it's definitely okay for them to have as you would normal herbs? It just seems like something that must be hot to go in curries! But then I suppose they do like their strong flavours. I would of course only give them a small amount to begin with.
I know, I'm far too fussy. This coming from a strict vegetarian-boarding-on-vegan who takes great meassures to avoid any kind of cross-contamination with my own food and won't let anyone else prepare it - and I'm still fussier about what the buns eat than what I do! :roll:

Must have looked so odd today, arms piled up with herbs! :lol: I bought six bunches of coriander, two bunches of parsley, three bunches of mint and a bunch of methi :lol::oops: I would have got some dill too but they had sold out.

I am so glad you've solved the mystery!

As I mentioned before, I free feed it as I would coriander et al. They love it, though the stalks can be a bit tough :)

But don't take my word for it .. ;)

Back