• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is this herb/vegetable/plant? *Solved*

So relieved we have an answer :D

I have never found Methi and so haven't fed it to my rabbits, but I am sure that I would give them lots once they had got used to it and of course demonstrated that they liked it. When you think about it very many of the plants that they have are extremely strong tasting. I think that's how they like them :lol:

You must remember to tell us whether it was all worth it and whether they were appreciative :)

I am so glad you've solved the mystery!

As I mentioned before, I free feed it as I would coriander et al. They love it, though the stalks can be a bit tough :)

But don't take my word for it .. ;)

Thanks MM :D I know it's already been said, I think I just need to be reassured :lol: I can be so insecure when it comes to them :oops::roll:
We'll try a little bit tonight and see how it goes. Hopefully they'll like it. It would be nice to have something new for variety.

Thanks MM :D I know it's already been said, I think I just need to be reassured :lol: I can be so insecure when it comes to them :oops::roll:
We'll try a little bit tonight and see how it goes. Hopefully they'll like it. It would be nice to have something new for variety.

I find mine wolf it down, but it's not always available so they make the most of it :)

Well I gave everyone a piece earlier and wow, was that a reaction :shock: I nearly lost fingers! :lol:
I suspect we may have found a firm new favourite that just might even rival coriander! Normally they're hesitant with new foods and sniff it for a bit first - especially some of the more nervous ones. This just went straight in and it was gone before you could blink. It's rare that they all agree on something :lol:

Well I gave everyone a piece earlier and wow, was that a reaction :shock: I nearly lost fingers! :lol:
I suspect we may have found a firm new favourite that just might even rival coriander! Normally they're hesitant with new foods and sniff it for a bit first - especially some of the more nervous ones. This just went straight in and it was gone before you could blink. It's rare that they all agree on something :lol:

Of course you'll now have to source it all year round! :lol:

Of course you'll now have to source it all year round! :lol:

True, this could be a problem! :lol: Oh, what have I done...
I'm hoping it's something I can grow when we finally move. I want to be able to grow a lot of their food where possible. I don't dare do it here because I'm worried someone might poison it... (long story)

Thank you all so much for your help - I'm glad we got the bottom of it and there are eight happy rabbits with a new favourite food :D

Well, we have an answer
*Drumroll*
It's methi! :p
Felt a bit silly asking but apparently a lot of people do.
I bought one bunch as it's a new food and I don't want to include too much for them until I know it doesn't upset them.
Please forgive my paranoia but I have to ask again (I know, I'm far too paranoid :oops:) - it's definitely okay for them to have as you would normal herbs? It just seems like something that must be hot to go in curries! But then I suppose they do like their strong flavours. I would of course only give them a small amount to begin with.
I know, I'm far too fussy. This coming from a strict vegetarian-boarding-on-vegan who takes great meassures to avoid any kind of cross-contamination with my own food and won't let anyone else prepare it - and I'm still fussier about what the buns eat than what I do! :roll:

Must have looked so odd today, arms piled up with herbs! :lol: I bought six bunches of coriander, two bunches of parsley, three bunches of mint and a bunch of methi :lol::oops: I would have got some dill too but they had sold out.

I dont feed it as regularly as other herbs because I cant stand the smell !! As I mentioned before Methi can make the Bunny's wee stink. It has the same effect as Asparagus can have on some humans :lol:

I'm hoping it's something I can grow when we finally move. I want to be able to grow a lot of their food where possible. I don't dare do it here because I'm worried someone might poison it... (long story)

Thank you all so much for your help - I'm glad we got the bottom of it and there are eight happy rabbits with a new favourite food :D

This sounds like a good idea ;) One to add to the list of seeds for next Spring I think :) It looks like it can be grown in containers.

I dont feed it as regularly as other herbs because I cant stand the smell !! As I mentioned before Methi can make the Bunny's wee stink. It has the same effect as Asparagus can have on some humans :lol:

Well, I've never had any to smell, but the article, I've just been reading about growing it, states it smells like Maple Syrup :lol:

Oh good grief, what a shame :cry:

It's more fibrous than other herbs, so good for teeth and digestion :)

Back