• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help! Twinkle [emoji92] still destroying everything

ghibli

Warren Scout
Hi,

I've had Twinkle [emoji92] for ages now, and I've tried everything to curb her destructive behaviour, but nothing seems to work. She's now got to the point where it almost feels like she's finding the most destructive things she can do, like biting wires to things I use frequently.

I don't know if she's playing or if she's frustrated, or if it's anger, but she can do it for hours and and hours at a time.

Her favourite is emptying her lit tray onto the living room carpet. I've tried giving her things to destroy and dig in, but she ignores them the moment I don't get annoyed with her for doing it, and goes back to something that does annoy me.

Please, any advise would be welcome?

P. S she's generally happy, a lot happier than she was when I got her, and ironically happier than when Ghibli was alive [emoji22]

Barry
dbd79c62d9bc248c5a875ca16355364f.jpg
461778c101d4b989759b680598ffaf75.jpg
ff7fa0f34435a152109bd4adeeaf2474.jpg

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
ff5c1ea626870807880ab319afb9098c.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't help,but she does look extremely proud of herself in that second pic .My bridge pair were house rabbits and were destructa buns,you just have to do your best to bunny proof things.My pairs favourite pastime was wallpaper stripping..everywhere!:lol:

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't help,but she does look extremely proud of herself in that second pic .My bridge pair were house rabbits and were destucta buns,you just have to do your best to bunny proof things.My pairs favourite pastime was wallpaper stripping..everywhere![emoji38]
I know she does [emoji5] it's part of the problem. I couldn't really tell her off after I burst out laughing [emoji23]

I think I would be tempted to make a room rabbit rabbit proof for her, or failing that an enclosure for her, at least 10ftx6ft, and floor it with board with non slip Lino on top. Then I would fill it with lots of activities like a dig box, chew toys, rattle toys, treat balls, tunnels etc and swap toys over if need be. Then the destruction will be confined to her area. When you are there to stop her she will be able to free range as normally.

You can't discipline a rabbit I'm afraid!

I don't know if she's playing or if she's frustrated, or if it's anger, but she can do it for hours and and hours at a time.

I don't think she is doing it because of anger or frustration. It's my experience that rabbits, particularly does, like to re-arrange their environment. My thinking is that they do it to reinforce the feeling that it's their territory. My doe has periods when she will carry large amounts of hay out of her litter tray, pat it down with her paws and sit on it. That seems to be similar to what Twinkle is doing in your photo. In my case it doesn't matter quite so much because they live in a shed, but I can understand how annoying it is when she does it in "your space". This doesn't explain the biting of wires, but this I consider to be normal rabbit behaviour and not much you can do about it other than protecting the wires.

I agree with zoobec that making a room rabbit-proof would seem to be preferable for you, although I imagine you would miss her and she would miss your company.

I'm pleased that she is happier. In your position I would still be minded to try to bond her with another rabbit. You could try to get a "very clean and obsessively tidy" buck in the hope that she would adjust her behaviour :)

Blimey that's some trashing!

I was very lucky with my houserabbits as we only ever had a few chewed wires!

I don't think she is doing it because of anger or frustration. It's my experience that rabbits, particularly does, like to re-arrange their environment. My thinking is that they do it to reinforce the feeling that it's their territory. My doe has periods when she will carry large amounts of hay out of her litter tray, pat it down with her paws and sit on it. That seems to be similar to what Twinkle is doing in your photo. In my case it doesn't matter quite so much because they live in a shed, but I can understand how annoying it is when she does it in "your space". This doesn't explain the biting of wires, but this I consider to be normal rabbit behaviour and not much you can do about it other than protecting the wires.

I agree with zoobec that making a room rabbit-proof would seem to be preferable for you, although I imagine you would miss her and she would miss your company.

I'm pleased that she is happier. In your position I would still be minded to try to bond her with another rabbit. You could try to get a "very clean and obsessively tidy" buck in the hope that she would adjust her behaviour :)
She does that as well, but there's something different about this.

She also tears at things and rips fabric off furniture. If I stop her, by placing my hand gently on her back, she will get out of the lit tray [or walk away from the chair] and calmly lie down and let herself be stroked, and be incredibly happy. Then she'll get bored, and wonder off, and five minutes later she'll be doing the same thing. The next time I go up to her she'll often jump out of the box before I get to her, and go to the spot where she gets stroked. Same thing, and then off she wanders, and back to scrambling.

The more attention she gets the less aggressive the scrabbling becomes [she still does it, but not in the same way, it's not as aggressive].

Also occasionally she stops and lays down. If I stroke her she's all happy, if I don't she goes back to destroying things. I love her, and I give her a lot of attention, but it's never enough. It wasn't ever enough when Ghibli was alive either.

I think your probably right in that it's a natural behaviour, but it's also definitely about getting attention, and I also think it's frustration about not having had enough of it earlier on in her life. She's had three homes [including me].

The problem is that there are days when she will do it for hours and hours on end.

When Ghibli was alive she would groom him relentlessly [when she wasn't chasing after him and biting him] but she'd never let him groom her. She only wanted to be stroked by people!

It's like somewhere along the way her behaviour got messed up and turned around, and it's become the only way she knows how to get people's attention, and even when there was another rabbit she was more interested in people! [which actually really ****** off pour Ghibli who liked her].

If I tell her off she just intensifies until I give in and stroke her. The problem is that by stroking her I'm basically reinforcing her behaviour, and what I want to do is teach her that there are better ways to achieve the same thing, but I don't know how?

How do you break a pattern of behaviour in an animal that only responds to positive reinforcement?

Sorry about the long rambling reply.

Last edited:
I think I would be tempted to make a room rabbit rabbit proof for her, or failing that an enclosure for her, at least 10ftx6ft, and floor it with board with non slip Lino on top. Then I would fill it with lots of activities like a dig box, chew toys, rattle toys, treat balls, tunnels etc and swap toys over if need be. Then the destruction will be confined to her area. When you are there to stop her she will be able to free range as normally.

You can't discipline a rabbit I'm afraid!
I'm definitely going to change the flooring in her pen. At the moment she has carpet tiles that I got for Ghibli. He was literally the most perfectly behaved animal I've ever looked after [well, untill he met Twinkle [emoji92] that is] they used to literally have ******* contents! I've had to replace all the rugs. She's happy, when she's happy! I just worry about all the destroying things. It doesn't feel like she's rearranging. IDK, maybe it's all in my head.

The buck idea I definitely like [emoji5]

It wasn't just wallpaper my two attacked,the corner of a sofa was chewed through to the wooden frame,also an armchair,table legs,chair legs,numerous cables.Wi sensor cable,three phone charges,comp cable,light cable,tv cable,this happened with supervision,haha.They were like a tag team,one would go for the wallpaper I'd shout "Hoi!" then chase the culprit round the room trying to get the large strip of wallpaper hanging from it's gob.Then the other would sneak in to attack cables etc.�� Lucky I wasn't house proud.I did get them willow twigs ,toys etc..not interested.I do still miss the boogers.

It wasn't just wallpaper my two attacked,the corner of a sofa was chewed through to the wooden frame,also an armchair,table legs,chair legs,numerous cables.Wi sensor cable,three phone charges,comp cable,light cable,tv cable,this happened with supervision,haha.They were like a tag team,one would go for the wallpaper I'd shout "Hoi!" then chase the culprit round the room trying to get the large strip of wallpaper hanging from it's gob.Then the other would sneak in to attack cables etc.[emoji23] Lucky I wasn't house proud.I did get them willow twigs ,toys etc..not interested.I do still miss the boogers.
Ghibli never damaged anything. Before Twinkle [emoji92] came along, and before he died, he had free run of the flat. I only bonded them because I thought he was lonely, and that turned out to be a massive mistake. I love Twinkle [emoji92] but they where a lot more work together than they ever have been separately.

Think it's a girl thing,we had Rio,the male for two years before we got Cleo the girl,he did chew the odd thing but it definitely got worse when she came along.:lol:

Back