• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can RSPCA/rescue be contacted about Gumtree ad?

One of the reasons we don't allow free ads is because, in the past when it was permitted, it's placed a huge burden on rescues - once these ads were posted on the forum there was an immense pressure to rescue those particular bunnies, when rescues will all too often have huge waiting lists of other just as needy rabbits waiting.

In addition, I think it often lead to individuals feeling a similar pressure to help out...... which is fine if you have the time, the means etc but sometimes people can end up taking on too much.

So, it's fine asking on here for advice about who to contact if you see an ad where you think action needs to be taken but we don't want to encourage lots of posts saying "There's a bunny in location x, y, z who really needs a home, can anybody help" etc.

Please remember that we also have the free ads team who will message the seller. Often the living conditions aren't ideal but are also not 100% dire, so some advice about neutering, homechecking etc is of more help overall than trying to save each bunny yourself. You might only have room to take on one or two from these ads but, if advice was given to, say, a hundred sellers, that's 100 rabbits you have the potential of helping to a better life in the future.

One of the reasons we don't allow free ads is because, in the past when it was permitted, it's placed a huge burden on rescues - once these ads were posted on the forum there was an immense pressure to rescue those particular bunnies, when rescues will all too often have huge waiting lists of other just as needy rabbits waiting.

In addition, I think it often lead to individuals feeling a similar pressure to help out...... which is fine if you have the time, the means etc but sometimes people can end up taking on too much.

So, it's fine asking on here for advice about who to contact if you see an ad where you think action needs to be taken but we don't want to encourage lots of posts saying "There's a bunny in location x, y, z who really needs a home, can anybody help" etc.

Please remember that we also have the free ads team who will message the seller. Often the living conditions aren't ideal but are also not 100% dire, so some advice about neutering, homechecking etc is of more help overall than trying to save each bunny yourself. You might only have room to take on one or two from these ads but, if advice was given to, say, a hundred sellers, that's 100 rabbits you have the potential of helping to a better life in the future.

Well said Karen :D

This makes perfect sense Karen :)

What I've highlighted is really sensible - asking for advice is great, and no links posted and no one feeling under pressure to 'help'.

I would say though, that although the potential to help a lot of rabbits with advice is there, the owners in my experience just 'want rid' and don't like to feel they are being criticised. So I totally empathise with those who want to 'get the rabbits out of there'!

However, we do what we can, and that's the best that can happen :)

Back