• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi There

zarathustra

Warren Scout
My Partner and I re-homed/adopted two rabbits recently, and as it has been a good few years since I last had a rabbit I though this place would be good to ask questions etc.

We have two male rabbits, Frank and Spencer who are both about 10-12 weeks old.

We got them last night from our local Pets at Home, although they were up for adoption they hadn't been given up by previous owners, they were the two rabbits that didn't sell, so they were moved to the adoption section so they could bring out some new bunnies.

They have a nice new hutch, with a thermal cover etc to help keep them warm, and they are currently having 24-48 hours to get used to their new surroundings.

They are still a bit timid, and whilst the other half is keen to have `bunny cuddles`, I have talked her round into being patient and taking our time in building the rabbit's trust.

Not really much else to add at the moment.

Thanks.

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave: I love their names :love:

I would take them to the vets to be vacccinated, they need 2 annual vaccinations 1 for vhd1/ vhd2 and the other for myxomatosis/vhd1. The vet will be able to check if they are both boys, as some pet shops are notorious for getting it wrong ;) they will need to be neutered before their hormones kick in otherwise they will fight.

There's lots of info on here and on the rwaf site about care and housing etc, many people don't realise just how much space they should have, at least a 6ftx2ft hutch with a minimum of 8ft x 6ft attached run needs to be available to them at all times, as they are so active even at night.

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave: I love their names :love:

I would take them to the vets to be vacccinated, they need 2 annual vaccinations 1 for vhd1/ vhd2 and the other for myxomatosis/vhd1. The vet will be able to check if they are both boys, as some pet shops are notorious for getting it wrong ;) they will need to be neutered before their hormones kick in otherwise they will fight.

There's lots of info on here and on the rwaf site about care and housing etc, many people don't realise just how much space they should have, at least a 6ftx2ft hutch with a minimum of 8ft x 6ft attached run needs to be available to them at all times, as they are so active even at night.

Thanks, yes a trip to the vets is in order, one of the things pets at home included is voucher to get them neutered etc.

The hutch we have is one of these http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/bluebell-hideaway-(in-store) with the thermal cover as well.

We did look at an attached run, however, our garden is concrete and fake/imitation grass, and we weren't to sure on whether the fake grass would be a good thing, it's great for easy garden maintenance but not sure it would be as good for rabbits if they decide to have a nibble.

While the idea of a pet rabbit started out as a birthday present for my fiance, the idea has definitely grown on me, and I'm already working on an idea for a indoor playarea for them, and getting a decent sized run and ground some real grass so they have the concrete to keep their claws short and some soft grass as well.

I think they may end up being the most spoilt rabbits in Gillingham.

Welcome.... it is quite addictive this bunny owning, my daughter plagued us for one for a couple of years and we caved for her 11th birthday, that was 18 months ago and we now have 7.........

Hello and welcome. I trust your rabbits will also make you laugh! Mine do at times.

Thanks, I'm sure they will.

Their personalities are starting to come out a bit now that they've had time to settle into their new home.

Spencer is a Dutch, and is very timid at the moment, he will come over to see whats going on when we go outside, but he keeps his distance when you open the hutch, but I'm hoping with a little patience and lots of love and affection he will realise that he doesn't need to be scared of us.

We don't know what Frank is, he has helicopter ears, so maybe some sort of lop cross. He is very friendly, and has now started to let us stroke him a little bit, he is very inquisitive, and also looks like he is contemplating making a break for freedom when you open the hutch. I'm getting a run or puppy play pen type thing on Friday, so we will be able to let them out to have a play and stuff at the weekend.

Back